Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 01:26 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,876,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmdwb View Post
I am trying to identify a truck company patch an maybe you can help me. Does this look like a patch the H J Jefferies used? Truck Company Insignia Patches - Patches that I need identification help on
I didn't see any patches that looked like anything H.J. Jeffries Truck Lines used. The only patch I ever had was one that just said "H.J.Jeffries Truck Lines OKC" . It was stitched on to a baseball cap I wore. I was with HJJ from 1974 to 1983. In the 1960's I think the HJJ drivers had a uniform that had sleeve patches but when I was there they didn't have a defined dress code.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 01:37 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,876,167 times
SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT:
Have you ever wondered where the billions of dollars from the illegal drug trade are laundered?
Wouldn't a trucking company be a great way of investing it? Just think of the possibilities.
Hmmmmmm.
GL2

Old 01-03-2012, 02:09 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,547,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT:
Have you ever wondered where the billions of dollars from the illegal drug trade are laundered?
Wouldn't a trucking company be a great way of investing it? Just think of the possibilities.
Hmmmmmm.
GL2

Considering some of the sleazy bastid's I've worked for, probabilities is more likely.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:22 AM

29 posts, read 211,526 times
Default Trucking around Colorado

Some old pictures of my trucks in my homestate!

The view from my dad's front porch facing Pikes Peak - about ready to head out on another trip to NYC

Quick detour up Gold Camp Rd in the Springs (in a pickup truck!!) - definitely would not recommend taking a tractor trailer up here!

Hiding behind a Schneider trailer in Cortez

Running through Glenwood Canyon on a trip from LA - DEN

Struggling up Vail Pass in a rainstorm with 80,000 lbs

Finally to the top!

Rolling down the hill and out of the rain.

The last revenue trip for tractor 1121, a quick stopover near Dillon on our way back to the Salt Lake yard for a new truck and a fond farewell.

Brand new truck and trailer in Monument.

Waiting for a load at the Flying J in Commerce City

Snowbound in Agulair, CO just north of Tinidad. We were all stranded here for over 3 days and the small truck-stop here quickly ran out of food, coffee and cigarettes, so needless to say, we were all a bit grumpy.

A quick stopover for a great game!

Dump Truckin' around COS

Old 02-16-2012, 06:15 PM

Well, lessee...pullin' a reefer and waiting to load in Commerce City.

Meat hauler, are we?

Your pictures give me the willies. I finally quit driving a truck 8 years ago, after 30 years on the road and I have nightmares about going back into it.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:11 PM

26,231 posts, read 49,107,208 times
The other day I received an email with pix of a RR bridge taken out by a large John Deere excavator, somewhere in Canada.

I found a website with the pix and the explanatory captions. The driver missed being crushed by maybe ten feet, but it sure put a hurting on his gooseneck trailer.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The other day I received an email with pix of a RR bridge taken out by a large John Deere excavator, somewhere in Canada.

I found a website with the pix and the explanatory captions. The driver missed being crushed by maybe ten feet, but it sure put a hurting on his gooseneck trailer.
Guess who's fault that is?

Having never hauled OD loads in Canada, I can only assume they route such loads as states do here in the US, but that article doesn't indicate that it was an OD load. The driver was charged with carrying too large a load, which probably means he was overheight without a permit. It's the driver's responsibility to configure his load to meet the legal parameter's or not haul it.

I predict an early end to his employment with that company.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:43 PM

26,231 posts, read 49,107,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Guess who's fault that is?

Having never hauled OD loads in Canada, I can only assume they route such loads as states do here in the US, but that article doesn't indicate that it was an OD load. The driver was charged with carrying too large a load, which probably means he was overheight without a permit. It's the driver's responsibility to configure his load to meet the legal parameter's or not haul it.

I predict an early end to his employment with that company.
Driver was charged, pled not guilty, trial in March 2012. The RR bridge was hauled off, repaired a bit, and re-installed on 02 Nov 2011. Details.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Driver was charged, pled not guilty, trial in March 2012. The RR bridge was hauled off, repaired a bit, and re-installed on 02 Nov 2011. Details.

It reminds me of a guy whose load struck a railroad overpass in Whitewright, TX many years ago.

He was hauling a self-propelled 175mm cannon on a low-boy. Apparently, the hydraulics on the cannon had not been disabled and the tube, which was not in travel lock, began to rise because of bouncing. By the time he got to that overpass, it was pointing upward at about a 45 degree angle. When it hit the bridge, it left the neatest 175mm hole right through the overpass, dismounted itself from the trailer and essentially just hung there in the middle of the road!

They say the driver just got his suitcase and walked away because he knew he was fired.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:02 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,547,484 times
In the Dayton, OH area, one of our drivers was behind a lowboy hauling a concrete container that was too tall for the I-75 overpass. He cam to a dead stop under the overpass and our driver was able to go left but not without some pretty good damage to our truck and trailer. OUCH!

That's why I stick to van trailers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive