Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 10:56 AM

76 posts, read 687,450 times

Advertisements

I have a small drip leak being left on my driveway from the trans pan gasket. I went for an oil change about 2,000 miles ago and my mechanic said he tightened the gasket to see if it would hold. Obviously not. How quickly do I have to get it replaced? How normal is this to leak? It was changed about 40k miles ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 11:00 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,983,145 times
It's not imperative to get it replaced immediately as long as you check the trans fluid regularly (by the prescribed method listed in your owner's manual) and top it up as needed.

You don't want to overfill a transmission either.

Not knowing the vehicle you have, it's tough to determine how often this should happen although I have seen many trans pan gaskets last the lifetime of the vehicle without a leak. It does seem strange that it's happened twice to you??

Old 01-05-2011, 11:42 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Outof curiosity, is it leaking in the same location it was previously? The issue may be with the pan itself as a small defect or some slight damage could allow a small leak to form as the gasket ages. It is definitely not common for them to fail and definitely not twice in 40k miles. As KoobleKar said, it's not imperative to get it replaced, but you should monitor the fluid level in the trans and keep it topped up if starts to get low. That gets tricky though as you don't want to overfill it.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:49 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,386,215 times
If one over tightens the screws that hold the pan in place it could very well ruin the gasket by putting too much pressure upon it thus creating a leak by crushing the gasket. These monkeys in these quick lubes tend to used the air gun a bit too liberally. These should only be hand tightened not by a pneumatic air gun.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
If one over tightens the screws that hold the pan in place it could very well ruin the gasket by putting too much pressure upon it thus creating a leak by crushing the gasket. These monkeys in these quick lubes tend to used the air gun a bit too liberally. These should only be hand tightened not by a pneumatic air gun.
Good point.

Manufacturers provide torque specs for a reason.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:08 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Good point.

Manufacturers provide torque specs for a reason.
You know, in my experience, if all the bolts are present and torqued reasonably close to spec, but you still have a leak, tightening the bolts has never stopped the leak. I mean, it's so easy, everybody has to try it, but I have never seen it work.

Pan gasket is not hard to change at all, unless your tranny fluid is quite fresh, I would just do a drain and refill, cleaning the screen or replacing the filter depending on which one you have, and replace the gasket as part of that maintenance procedure. I guess if the fluid is fresh you can clean up the bottom of the tranny, drain it carefully and then save and re-use it. Although if you go that way be damn sure you don't manage to get some dirt into your trans this way - once I wrote that up I have to say re-using the used fluid is probably not a good idea...but whatever, it can be done.

I agree with what's been posted so far that this is not something you need to fix right away, just keep an eye on the fluid level, and as noted do not overfill it.

Final thought - Permatex makes a spray on "leak fix". OK, I can already hear you pro mechanics snickering - well I am pretty much in agreement with you that this will be fixed by wrenching, not a can of snake oil - but I have seen this stuff reduce the severity of a non-pressurized leak. At worst you are out the price of the spray can.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Final thought - Permatex makes a spray on "leak fix". OK, I can already hear you pro mechanics snickering - well I am pretty much in agreement with you that this will be fixed by wrenching, not a can of snake oil - but I have seen this stuff reduce the severity of a non-pressurized leak. At worst you are out the price of the spray can.
You could always just slap some JB Weld on there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive