Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:52 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,773,298 times

Advertisements

Say you have an older late 60's RWD car (think Camaro, Nova) that had leaf springs in the rear, but the typical front independent suspension up front. Would it be possible to set a car like this up to handle the twisties? And if so, how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 09:03 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times
Yes, all that need be done is find and add the proper sway bar.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:51 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
I took my 1968 Volvo 1800 and made vast improvements. It was rear wheel drive on 4 coils. I replaced the coils with progressive coils that were 2" lower in height. Replaced the front ant-sway bar with one twice as thick, added one to the rear axle. Original bar up front was 5/8" thick, the end product was 1 1/8" front and 5/8" rear. I also changed out the panhard bar in the back. Changed all suspension rubber to urethane. Curves I had to take at 40 mph I could now take at 70+ mph.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:59 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Yes, all that need be done is find and add the proper sway bar.
That's why manufacturers simply added sway bars to their 60's tech cars rather than spend many millions on developing multi-link and all the other improvements modern suspensions benefit from. Also why when high end customizers do their resto-rod conversions they don't bother with coil-overs, and just leave those leaf springs in there, since the only thing necessary to make a car handle extremely well is a sway bar.

Wait a sec...

Old 03-05-2011, 01:09 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Say you have an older late 60's RWD car (think Camaro, Nova) that had leaf springs in the rear, but the typical front independent suspension up front. Would it be possible to set a car like this up to handle the twisties? And if so, how?
yes you can make a leaf spring car handle extremely well. the biggest problem with leaf springs is spring wrap, both under braking and acceleration, and that is what causes the handling problems, not the lack of a proper anti-roll bar.

if you control the spring wrap, you improve handling substantially. one way to do it it use a floating housing mount for the rear end, and then add some form of traction bar that mounts solidly to the rear end housing. this does two things, it allows the rear end housing to float on the leaf springs so that you maintain a proper pinion angle, and it allows the leaf springs to be just leaf springs and control the suspension movement. if you use a torque arm like the fox body mustangs use, and you are good to go.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Btter ;yes. Eqaul to a fuly indepoendent suspernsion ;no. Swaybar help but what they do is to lower the other side as one die is surpresssed by cornig forces keep the vehicle falter. Its also used in indendent suspensions for the same reason.Its always most useful o a very smooth surface as it actually limiuts supension to a degree.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:24 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,514 times
Um helloooo...

People will say what they want when it come to the Corvette's pushrod engine and craptastic plastic interior, but there is no denying its athletic handling prowess, leaf springs and all.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:32 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,773,298 times
♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥, I was actually referring to the older 60's cars that used an independent front suspension with a solid rear axle rear suspension that was supported by two leaf springs on each side of the car that secured the solid rear axle to the frame rails.

The Corvette you have pictured has a double wishbone rear suspension that uses a single transversely mounted leaf spring for an anti roll effect. Not the same question I was implying.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:28 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,514 times
Oh, gotcha. In that case, I have no idea if leaf springs can do that.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:25 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
The answer is Yes and these guys do a great job with their stable of Vintage Mustang road racers.

Cobra Automotive Shelby Mustang brakes & suspensions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive