Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:48 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,226,666 times

Advertisements

Is it safe to give out the VIN number of your car? Someone posted an ad online saying they work at a dealership and do repair work on the side. I responded and inquired about some work I'd like to have done to the car and he requested the VIN number and said that he could also take care of any recalls they car might have at the same time. I read this about people using VIN #'s to obtain duplicate keys and I got a little concerned:

snopes.com: VIN Car Thieves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 09:54 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
I wouldn't worry too much... It falls into the same category of people who get nervous when they expose their license plate in a photograph, it's almost as if they forgot that everyone driving on the road sees it everyday. Same goes with the vin... depending on its location you can just walk up to any windshield and jot it down... along with the plate number!

Old 03-05-2011, 12:03 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Any key ordered still needs to be programmed. I always laugh when people blur out license plates. Useless info.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:06 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
It's fine to give out the VIN. Anyone can get it when they look at your car anyway.

Also, when you say "VIN number", it's like saying "ATM machine". It's redundant.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:34 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Also, when you say "VIN number", it's like saying "ATM machine". It's redundant.
RAS syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-05-2011, 03:24 PM

204 posts, read 1,505,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Is it safe to give out the VIN number of your car? Someone posted an ad online saying they work at a dealership and do repair work on the side. I responded and inquired about some work I'd like to have done to the car and he requested the VIN number and said that he could also take care of any recalls they car might have at the same time. I read this about people using VIN #'s to obtain duplicate keys and I got a little concerned:

snopes.com: VIN Car Thieves
Vehicle Identification Numbers are safe to "give out." I cannot buy anything more sophisticated than a key fob at the local GM dealership without it. VIN's are unique: Take a VIN to the parts counter of the corresponding dealership and request a "build sheet" and a service history," and be amazed at the information provided. If you're an auto fanatic, the VIN is like a "fingerprint" of your car (or, "DNA" if you will). No cause to worry about "Vehicle Identity Theft. Without a VIN, you have no prior owner vehicle history to track either. Using CarFax and/or Experian Auto Check, the VIN gives you a comprehensive background on any auto you own or are interested in owning (I used AutoCheck extensively while searching for my wife's present car). When ordering parts or getting repairs, the VIN is your (and mechanic's) best friend.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:54 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
What other have said. Also, anybody can see the VIN number of your car by looking-in through the windshield. It's on the dashboard right by the lower edge of the windshield on the driver's side.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:42 PM

5 posts, read 136,258 times
Default Vin

Good advice, I just know that if you have rare car then do not provide vin to the strangers online.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:32 AM

43 posts, read 161,070 times
i know this thread is old but someone just asked a friend of mine to share their VIN on a car forum, i cant see the reason why, VIN unveil more then the car type and history, they tell who owns it, their address details etc., which seems to be irrelevant to share in a thread about a car battery dead and how to get it charged back up or replaced, so im asking if i am wrong about this because i found websites that do check VIN numbers and tell you the make of car, model an year, beyond that they offer car owner details and history of car for extra money.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:38 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
When looking up replacement parts for vehicles, some go by VIN...specifically the last 5-6 digits or so. They usually specify the part as "VIN after xxx76000" or something like that.

If the question is regarding replacement battery, then the question about a VIN could be appropriate. A lot of manufacturers parts departments look up parts based on Vin as well. A lot easier than asking someone questions about their car that they have no idea what the answer is. " Do you have the sport tuned suspension?". " Um?? I only know how to turn on the radio."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive