Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 06:20 AM

773 posts, read 2,631,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarmin View Post
Honda calls for a 120,000 mile / 6 year interval change; however, many Honda owners and technicians go by the 30,000 or 60,000 mile mark.
I am not saying I disagree with you, but presumably the 120,000 mile/6 year service recommendations are made by Honda engineers, most of whom having graduate degrees in mechanical and chemical engineering from the best Japanese universities.

To agree with your remarks requires two inferences:
  • Honda engineers are not as bright as the average auto tech or Honda owner; or
  • Honda has some ulterior motive in wanting the transmissions to fail prematurely (perhaps to sell more replacement Hondas?).
I find it difficult to accept either premise and therefore tend to follow manufacturer's recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 12:01 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Doesn't that go on from an odometer command, and has nothing to do with anything except alerting you that your odometer had reached a certain number of pre-set miles?

It's actually called "the %#@&# check engine light".
NO . The cel will give you a trouble code if there is a real problem.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:03 AM

859 posts, read 2,829,360 times
Oil changes at 3k miles

Trans FLUSH, transfer case and diffs every 30K.

Timing belt at 100K. Do the tensioner and water pump at the same time.

Everything else is done as needed. My 2000 Tacoma has 240K on the clock and still going strong.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:04 PM

773 posts, read 2,631,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
Oil changes at 3k miles
I stopped after reading that line.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:16 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
Oil changes at 3k miles

Trans FLUSH, transfer case and diffs every 30K.

Timing belt at 100K. Do the tensioner and water pump at the same time.

Everything else is done as needed. My 2000 Tacoma has 240K on the clock and still going strong.
So is my '93 Toyota Previa, also with 240K. I never did any of those things. Oil changes at about 6,000 (like the manual says) and the others not at all.

Brakes, AC, a few other things gone, but drive components still perfect. TBelt might have been done before I bought it, I don't know.

So, on a anecdotal advice, the OP has one up, one down, on rigorous scheduled maintenance.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
I stopped after reading that line.
Sorry I'm a mechanic, Been one for 15 years. I see what happens to motors when people wait 6000-7000-7500 miles like the manual suggests. You have to remember that most warranties are only 36 - 50K so the manufactures don't care what happens after that. They acually want you to have problems so they service departments are busy or they can sell you another car.

Everyone - Please continue to wait 6000-7500 miles to replace your oil. It's great job security for me and my eight employees. You guys have paid for my house, the shop, all my toys and the vacations of my family and my employees so I'd like to thank you.

There's a Neon in the shop right now with 57000 miles on it. Bearings on all for rods are bad. 1 and 3 spun and destroyed themselves. The main bearing are also shot and #2 could be moved by hand with the motor assembled. The cylinder walls look like someone was in there with a course file but should clean up. The crank is most likely junk and will need to be replaced. BUT the Owner changed the oil every 7500 miles like the manual says. Problem is he only drove the car 20 miles a day in bumper to bumper traffic so that's and oil change about once a year. We sent to the motor off to the machine shop yesterday to have them look at it. Odds are we'll just be buying a reman long block. I should have taken some pics. Sludge built up in the pan and around the valve springs looked like someone poured oil soaked dirt into the motor.

For those that want there cars to last. 3000 miles if you use regular oil. 5000 if you run synthetic. If not I'll be seeing you soon.

Last edited by johna01374; 04-06-2011 at 08:30 AM..

Old 04-06-2011, 08:10 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I ahve to disagree with the difference in oil change milage. that is now confirmed by the makers in that its the additive package and contaminates that reqire oil to be changed. The only real advanatge to synthetic is its ability to resist high heat without breakdown and that occurs with overheating.5000 with modren oils is a safe margin with either type oil.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
. TBelt might have been done before I bought it, I don't know.
I would almost guarantee it.

Sounds like you bought the car used and the previous owners did to the required maintenance. Cars are much better today but they don't run 200K+ without someone taking cars of them.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I have to disagree with the difference in oil change mileage. that is now confirmed by the makers in that its the additive package and contaminates that require oil to be changed. The only real advantage to synthetic is its ability to resist high heat without breakdown and that occurs with overheating.5000 with modern oils is a safe margin with either type oil.

You are correct that it is the additives that wear out. They wear out from oil contamination and heat. Synthetic are much better at tolerating both of these so 5000 miles on a good synthetic is not bad. I still wouldn't go 6000-7500 under any driving conditions.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:38 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
I personally recommend following what your owners manual says if you drive your car normally, meaning your not towing heavy loads all the time, racing the car or doing extreme offroading.

When you look at the manual most will specify two or three intervals depending on your use. One is generally called "normal", the other is "severe" duty. The third one is usually a more application specific recommendation, like on a truck that is doing towing, or a seperate plan that the manufacturer has like on newer Nissans.

The thing to keep in mind is that most drivers do not fall into the "normal" range, particularly if you are doing a lot of short trips or sitting in traffic. Read the manual, follow what the manufacturer recommends and use the recommended fluids.

The maintenance industry led by the major national chains loves to put out the mantra of changing your oil every 3k, transmissions and diffs at 30k, flushing the coolant at 50k, changing plugs at 30k-50k, etc. These recommendations are being made by the people whose livelihoods depend on you spending money on maintenance. Do you want to believe them or the people who engineered, built and warrantied your car?

Personally, in my regular vehicles I follow the manufacurer recommendations, while in my "fun" cars, I follow my own based on use where it might mean an oil change after a weekend at the track. For me this has meant intervals of 5k on oil changes for my Audi's and following the light on my GM's that has sometimes meant going as long as 12k miles between changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive