Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 11:25 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
How about drive versus overdrive? I always put it in overdrive but I'm not sure exactly whats the difference. I almost never get the chance to use cruise control.
I remember when overdive was called 4th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 12:10 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
I use it on longer drives and highways if it's not too congested.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:33 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,535,531 times
Just used it again today....what a lovely feature.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:18 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
Whoa, 6 pages long since I last checked this!!

Anywho, I rent cars right now when the bicycle or company semi-truck is unfeasible.
Living anywhere in CA and trying to go anywhere during the daylight hours is a guaranteed slugfest.
Luckily, I've made it a habit to only go places at late-night/early AM and that cruise setting works just fine for those stretches over 50 miles.

As for my job, I regularly request to be put on runs going from SoCal out to the Mountain states or anything situated along the 15/70/25 corridor.

Apart from Vegas, Denver, and the smaller hamlets in between, no corny truck speed limit of 55mph to worry about.

I turn down any 5-corridor runs(CA/OR/WA) like fruitcake at Christmas!!!

Old 04-14-2011, 06:38 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Nay. I flatly refuse to use it, under any circumstances. I tried it a few times on the freeway, and found that I kept Playing Chicken with it. Gotta get into the passing lane, but there are cars coming---how close can I get to the bumper in front of me, before I have to brake, if the passing lane doesn't present a break in time?

I've never seen an Interstate where you don't need to overtake at least every 5 miles or so with other traffic in the passing lane. If I'm set on 72 and another guy is set on 71, it can take a mile to get around him. If I need to keep switching in and out, what's the use of it?

And if I do take it out of cruise, it is a distracting deviation from pedal operation to resume, and it makes me resume with excessive acceleration. And every time the speed limit changes, I need to reset.

And I was afraid that if I needed to brake in emergency, I'd have to move my foot to the brake from a different unlearned starting point, and might miss or catch my toe under the brake pedal, or at least be slowed down by the unaccustomed movement.

And then, every time I get on a slight uphill rise, the cruise sucks me into passing gear, to jerk me up the hill at 72 with my little car. Full speed ahead, damn the rpms,

I have no trouble holding a constant speed with constant pedal. And I drive without a radio, so my ear is tuned to the engine and road noise, so I can unconsciously maintain constant speed without the aid of machinery. I don't want the constant aggravation of driving by committee---me and a machine.

I've never owned a car made after 2001, so I don't know how the newer ones work. But I hate it, hate it, hate it.
I guess if you've been driving for awhile without it or before it became standard on vehicles, then that's the way to float the boat.
However, I've only had my regular drivers license since '03 and got my Commercial in '04.
Seems all the cars I learned to drive in had that option and I was pretty much weaned into it.
I still at least learned to properly operate a 10-speed manual before I learned there were semis with automatic transmissions.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:41 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Cruise control in south Texas? Oh yeah....

Set it on 85, curl up my legs on the seat, crank up the sounds.......

Old 04-14-2011, 06:49 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I personally can't live without when I'm driving and utilize it every chance I get.
The fuel savings are rather noticeable and makes the trip more enjoyable.
I would not own a car without CC. I take alot of long road trips and it saves on gas and makes 500 miles stretches of desert much more enjoyable

Old 04-14-2011, 09:29 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I drive a stick and never use my cruise. Somehow it doesn't feel right in a manual transmission car, even though it functions exactly the same aside from needing to downshift for major hills..
I use it all the time. And my cars have been exclusively manual for over 10 years. At highway speeds, there's not much difference between driving a manual or an automatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I've never seen an Interstate where you don't need to overtake at least every 5 miles or so with other traffic in the passing lane. If I'm set on 72 and another guy is set on 71, it can take a mile to get around him. If I need to keep switching in and out, what's the use of it?
There's no need to disengage the CC for passing. You step on the gas, accelerate, pass the car, and let go of the gas. The car will return to the previously set speed. No need to press any buttons or switches. It's been like that for decades.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:02 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
There's no need to disengage the CC for passing. You step on the gas, accelerate, pass the car, and let go of the gas. The car will return to the previously set speed. No need to press any buttons or switches. It's been like that for decades.
Yes, I quite often pass other slower cars on the freeway (with my '95 Town Car). The CC can be overridden by using the accelerator in the normal way. Once I pass and let off the accelerator, it automatically goes back to the set speed. I also sometimes have to brake and I just push the "resume" button on the steering wheel to go back to CC.

I can even adjust the speed I want without turning the CC off then on again. There is a tap up and tap down feature. It it's set at 70 mph, I can tap one button and the speed will increase by 1 mph each time I tap it. Or another button to decrease the speed in the same way.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Inexplicably, my Volkswagen doesn't have a tap-down feature. That and if you override with the accelerator, it will decelerate to as much as 4mph under the set speed before resuming the set speed. The behavior of the cruise control on that car pretty much sucks, though it's still better than not having it. Unfortunately it only works intermittently so sometimes it doesn't have it. Which is why the Volkswagen a) is no longer used for road trips, and b) is for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive