Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:28 PM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times

Advertisements

There was a time when I thought that just letting the bank "take something back" might just be the "easy" way out.

I have since found that , even with my very low salary, my good credit score makes me kind of "golden" in this economy. There are so many people defaulting on things, those that don't are being actively sought after by banking and lending institutions.

Hang in there, pay that car off, fix it back up, use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 08:42 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,615 times
no battery charge, no fan (for FWD) possibly.

you could accidentally leave the key on the ignition one day. in a bad neighborhood. i mean if its insured LOL

Old 05-05-2011, 09:04 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Don't worry too much about what caused the problem, but do get at least another estimate. Ask around and see if you can find an independent local shop who is experienced with Kia. You never know what they may find. Sears are generalist mechanics, and may not be as well versed with that particular vehicle.

A friend of mine was looking at an expensive A/C replacement on a Subaru, but took it to an indie shop instead. Well, the reason her refrigerant was leaking was not because the entire system was shot, but because of a couple of bad gaskets. It was a fix of a couple of hundred, and had she gone with the dealer, it would have been into the thousands for a full rebuild of the A/C system. Now, it does sound that your engine may have more extensive damage, but you can certainly compare estimates to see what might be most cost effective, since you may come out well below the estimate that seems to be very wide from Sears.

Do you live in an area served by Consumers Checkbook? If so, I would encourage you to join as you can review their independent rankings, and member comments, about mechanics in your area. You can even search by quality and price rankings to find a mechanic. Tom and Ray from Car Talk on NPR also have a website where you can search for a local mechanic. You may find a good referral from one of those sources who is more experienced with a Kia, and a shop that is not the dealer.

Another option for a repair, which may be in your area, would be to see if the vocational high school has a clinic where they can repair your car, usually for the cost of parts, and under the supervision of the instructor. Not all areas may have that option, and it might be a situation where the classroom garage focuses on more routine matters, but it's worth checking out, especially if the repair is one that the classroom might be able to handle.

Things happen with cars, and sometimes at the most inopportune times. Don't let the car get repossessed because it will haunt you, as others have mentioned. Better to pay off the car on schedule, and evaluate the situation to see what can be done regarding the repair. Good luck!

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-05-2011, 09:45 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
NO ONE with a brain would trash his credit over a few months of car payments. Your credit is very important .Later you may want to buy a home or do something else ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but you will have eliminated your ability to do so .....A great way to impress a future to be wife I bet...lol

Old 05-05-2011, 10:54 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,238,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Honestly, you are so clueless about cars, you need to live somewhere with public transport. You managed to parlay a simple broken belt into at least a head gasket job, maybe more, you didn't "take a chance", you ran the car and you knew, or should have known, that no alternator belt means the water pump also is not turning, and modern engines won't cool well enough without the pump as you demonstrated.

Who exactly held a gun to your head and made you drive the car in this condition? Those 50 miles cost you as much as $100 per mile, Buckwheat.

Quit paying on the car, you would be better off without a car and without credit.
Wow, take it easy man, like you've lived a mistake free existence?

Old 05-05-2011, 11:14 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
If your note is up in November, what's the remaining balance?

Can you sell the car for scrap or as a fixer-upper for enough to cover what is left?

Old 05-05-2011, 11:43 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,894,623 times
Don't those korean beauts have a 10yr/100k warranty?

I'd put it on the side of the street and light 'er up, assuming you paid your insurance bill.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:54 PM

773 posts, read 2,631,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity12 View Post
We were 50 miles from home, zero money, so we took a chance and decided to drive it as far as we could. We JUST made it home as the car was overheating and dying.
Seldom does an engine seize from overheating. But it will ping (pre-detonate) like mad when it is over-heated. (Been there, done that.) OTOH, if you attempt to drive five miles with zero oil pressure, you would know what an engine seizure is like. (Haven't done that.)

Your engine most likely is not in such bad shape as the Sears people estimate. Take it to an indy mechanic for a knowledgeable estimate.

Think of the stories you'll be able to tell your grand-kids.

Last edited by Zea mays; 05-06-2011 at 12:08 AM..

Old 05-06-2011, 12:45 AM

274 posts, read 370,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The water pump is connected to the timing belt so this could not have even happened. The alternator belt breaking could not possibly make a car overheat.
Weird! OK, just going by what the sears guy said. I just knew there wass some squealing and then something had snapped and, of course, no more squealing!

Old 05-06-2011, 01:00 AM

274 posts, read 370,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Don't worry too much about what caused the problem, but do get at least another estimate. Ask around and see if you can find an independent local shop who is experienced with Kia. You never know what they may find. Sears are generalist mechanics, and may not be as well versed with that particular vehicle.

A friend of mine was looking at an expensive A/C replacement on a Subaru, but took it to an indie shop instead. Well, the reason her refrigerant was leaking was not because the entire system was shot, but because of a couple of bad gaskets. It was a fix of a couple of hundred, and had she gone with the dealer, it would have been into the thousands for a full rebuild of the A/C system. Now, it does sound that your engine may have more extensive damage, but you can certainly compare estimates to see what might be most cost effective, since you may come out well below the estimate that seems to be very wide from Sears.

Do you live in an area served by Consumers Checkbook? If so, I would encourage you to join as you can review their independent rankings, and member comments, about mechanics in your area. You can even search by quality and price rankings to find a mechanic. Tom and Ray from Car Talk on NPR also have a website where you can search for a local mechanic. You may find a good referral from one of those sources who is more experienced with a Kia, and a shop that is not the dealer.

Another option for a repair, which may be in your area, would be to see if the vocational high school has a clinic where they can repair your car, usually for the cost of parts, and under the supervision of the instructor. Not all areas may have that option, and it might be a situation where the classroom garage focuses on more routine matters, but it's worth checking out, especially if the repair is one that the classroom might be able to handle.

Things happen with cars, and sometimes at the most inopportune times. Don't let the car get repossessed because it will haunt you, as others have mentioned. Better to pay off the car on schedule, and evaluate the situation to see what can be done regarding the repair. Good luck!
Some great suggestions, thanks!

Yeah, I only took it to Sears because I happen to have a Sears card, so I thought I would at least see what they had to say. I knew (or hoped) that a local mechanic would give me a much more realistic estimate, but I figure it's still gonna be pretty bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive