Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 07:16 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,156,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
If you live in southeast Michigan, then you must have some concept of how many people still work at GM. I am fully aware of the situation in Flint. How much worse for the area would it be if GM went down? And if vehicles built in China Korea Europe Mexico Canada bother you, what are you gonna buy? That doesn't leave very many choices, as all vehicles have at least some parts made abroad. There are no 100% American vehicles anymore. None. Where they are assembled is only a small part of the total workforce involved in making a car.
My point was, whatever jobs are left in Flint are there for GM's convenience, not because there's a neat-o trickle-down feature because a vehicle is badged GM or whatever. Flint stupidly became a GM-***** company town and thousands of minimally-educated people here made bank for a few generations because nobody thought forward to the possibility that Generous Motors might have a business model change one day. Now they are reaping the consequences and the city is floundering.

And just to make it clear - doesn't bother me one iota where a car is made (well except maybe China because I am sort of bigoted about Chinese products if I have a choice). It does bother me that I am surrounded by blue-collar zombies who think that if you don't buy a domestically-badged vehicle you are unpatriotic and costing Americans their jobs! People around here can be beyond stupid about that; was my point. It is the hypocrisy that annoys me.

I drive a Nissan truck and Toyota van, currently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 10:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Well said. Good marketing doesn't necessarily involve selling what you believe but what you want others to believe in order to get them to buy your product. (Just looking at anyone working for Fox News)
So your saying go long with nayhtin gto seel your products? That is like going along with bribery where required. Not very ethical really.That would mean that what crooks did to sell their hoe is OK. Typical liberal its o if we do it because its for a good cause;thinking. kind of like obam's voting aginst the debt ceiling increase and thewn bombing libya.what it really shows is no principals just ends justifies the means.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:49 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
So your saying go long with nayhtin gto seel your products? That is like going along with bribery where required. Not very ethical really.That would mean that what crooks did to sell their hoe is OK. Typical liberal its o if we do it because its for a good cause;thinking. kind of like obam's voting aginst the debt ceiling increase and thewn bombing libya.what it really shows is no principals just ends justifies the means.
Hard to argue that corporations doing anything they want to sell products is liberal thinking. That falls much more in line with the corporate conservatives. Anything done to make a buck is ok, as long as it's in the name of private profits.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:56 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
You're assuming those vehicles are Made in USA, they're not.
No he didn't assume that. No matter where they are made, GM is making the profit on their sale. Just as Toyota makes a profit on Tennessee-made cars sold in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive