Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:53 PM

243 posts, read 547,652 times

Advertisements

It would have to be REALLY crappy or have something interesting about it like a crazy decal. Nice cars stick out for me, I'm assuming you're talking about exotics like a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

Hundreds of beat up cars pass me without notice. Same with the bimmers and audis we have in SoCal too though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 11:32 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Yesterday I saw for the first time the new Alfa Romeo 8C ! Beautifully shaped and much smaller then the official photos may indicate.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:39 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Rockford Files used a Firebird, not a Camaro.
True, and the show was off the air long before 1987.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:57 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
I remember a 1940s model beat-to-heck Chevy without tires in Velasco, Texas with a poor family in it driving around on the streets in about 1957. Most of the city streets back then were crushed oyster shells. However, I also remember my neighbor's new turquoise & white, 2-door hardtop, 1957 Chevy Belair from that same neighborhood.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:06 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
I was approaching this with the spin others did about the crappy cars you or your friends owned being the more memorable ones. Honestly, I have never owned a crappy car. However, I have had friends who did and things about those cars and stories that centered on them tend to stick in my mind more than anything about the parade of nice cars I have had.

Story 1: A guy I went to college with had a love for old 80's full size cars. You know Caddies and Lincolns complete with air ride, the last of the American land barges. He went through these cars rather quickly, so got a new one every year or so. He also used to name all of his cars. In order to get the name he would take a trip through some bad areas and find the fattest, trashiest girl he could and ask her what her name was. That became the cars name. I went with him on one of these cruises and as we were floating (like on a water bed) down a road in Roxbury (Boston), he spotted a LARGE girl in spandex. He pulled up and asked for her name and she replied, "Big Rhonda, what's it to you ******?" The rest of the semester I LOL'd anytime I saw his car sqautting on it's rear bumper in the parking lot.

Story 2: My friend bought a brand new 1999 Hyundai Accent and promptly named it Mr. Miagi. Well, poor Miagi got clipped by a F150 and a semi on the highway and ended up in a ditch and totalled. My friend bought it for salvage, fixed what was wrong and drove that car for another 3 years. I remember one time on a narrow street over in Philly, someone in a newer Lexus turned down in front of us and both cars couldn't fit. The Lexus owner refused to move and insisted we back up. We insisted they back up (we would have had to back up an entire block). The Lexus owner gave us the finger and ordered us to move our "pile of crap" out of the way. Well, my friend simply proceeded to drive Miagi very carefully alongside the Lexus so as to not hit the parked car. The Lexus lost its mirror and had some really bad scratches down the side. Miagi already looking like hell from the other accident was none the worse.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:48 PM

859 posts, read 2,829,360 times
As far as cars I see. Well unfortunately it's the crappy ones that stick in my mind as it's my job to fix crappy cars. I swear someday GM will build a car worth owning bt I doubt it'll happen in my life time.

As far as beaters go.. I don't even notice them. Maybe there just isn't many around these days but I can't tell you the last time I saw one.

Same goes for cars I've owned. I love my Tacoma. Working on 246K without a single problem but you want to hear me rant about a piece of crap.. Ask me about the Ranger I had before the Tacoma and I'll rant and rave about how bad that this was until your ears fall off.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:06 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
The other day I was passed by a Jaguar XJ (new model). It was much better looking than in the photos. Last week at Walmart we saw a car with tape over the back windshield, both side mirrors hanging, dings all around, and a strap holding the trunk closed.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:14 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Here's a true memorable classic.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:22 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
well to us a crappy car might be one that has potential to be restored. I am a big fan of oldmobiles but I also like 64 Impala and 64 ford thunderbolt. On the other hand the nice car would be nice but can I afford it? LOL

Old 06-16-2011, 07:29 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I think it depends on the area.
Around here, I am not surprised to see really nice cars, but a crappy one makes me suspicious, so I notice it more.
When I drive to work (through a couple of towns), it's much more unusual to see a really nice car, so I'd remember that more.

The most memorable car I've ever laid eyes on was a rusted out old bucket of bolts that was splotched in green and brown paint with every inch of the horizontal surface covered with dinosaur figurines. It was so cool!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive