Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 12:34 AM

47 posts, read 78,364 times

Advertisements

I'm wanting to tint my window but not sure how dark I should go. I'm thinking about 35% tinting for my 2 rear windows and windshield. Will I able to see my blind spots and rear spot at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 11:53 AM

2,619 posts, read 2,332,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwan View Post
I'm wanting to tint my window but not sure how dark I should go. I'm thinking about 35% tinting for my 2 rear windows and windshield. Will I able to see my blind spots and rear spot at night?
Can't tint your windshield that dark. That will get you a good fine for it if you do. Not supposed to tint your front windshield at all but you can run some light UV protection such as Llumar 80% air blue for some increased protection and heat reflection for your dash. It's not noticeable at all if it's done right and I've rarely heard of people getting a ticket for it.

35% is a good darkness on side windows. I run that on my front windows on my Mustang and it's perfect. I run dark 5% limo tint on my rearwindow here in Phoenix and while's it takes me extra caution seeing cars at night or dusk/dawn (yes it's very dark), it's well worth it keeping the car cool here with all the sun.

Spend the extra money and go with Ceramic tint. Do not get the cheap **** they will quote you with. You'll be back sooner rather than later for fading to purple, bubbling or cracking. Ceramic won't bubble, fade or crack and provides much better UV/solar reflection. I went with Llumar Ceramic all the way around my car and it's great looking. $500 for all the windows on a Mustang.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:25 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I get it professionally done on all my cars to the legal limit of the area...
luckily I got a car from Phoenix...it was way darker than allowed, I like that ...
and have had no problem, whew!
BUT...if you EVER get stopped at night...turn your inside light on and roll down some windows...Police do NOT want to approach a car darkened!
And will give you a ticket bec of that ...too dark for the state.

I was stopped in Minnesota with the Phoenix tint, Col plates...and the cop
actually said, I thought you were transporting drugs.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:40 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
I prefer to have maximum visibility, so would not tint my windows... Unless I lived in a hot climate like Arizona - or was a celebrity or criminal and did not want anyone see who I was.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:46 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Best bet is to take it to a pro shop and ask for the maximum legal tint for your area.go darker than what's legal and you'll have to pay a fine as well as remove the tint.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Oveetinting is the easiest infraction for the police to spot and to prove, so they will grab you immediately if they see it. they don't even need to set their doughnut down to make the ticket stick.. My wife bought a car in Michigan that had Nevada plates and Nevada tinting. Less then a mile after puttiing Michigan plates on it, she was pulled over. but the previous owner was never stopped as long as it was an out-of-state car.. No fine, because of the fresh registration date, but they gave her a deadline to have it pulled off.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:43 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Oveetinting is the easiest infraction for the police to spot and to prove, so they will grab you immediately if they see it. they don't even need to set their doughnut down to make the ticket stick.. My wife bought a car in Michigan that had Nevada plates and Nevada tinting. Less then a mile after puttiing Michigan plates on it, she was pulled over. but the previous owner was never stopped as long as it was an out-of-state car.. No fine, because of the fresh registration date, but they gave her a deadline to have it pulled off.
cops need to use their light meters to prove it though.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:51 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
Have it on my Lexus and it is great in the daytime here in West TX. At night, it can be difficult to see out.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
i have never had an issue seeing out at night until the tint level got down to about 8% or less.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:36 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Tint laws vary by state.

I would not tint my windshield, even if allowed by law. But in Texas tinted windows make a big difference in the hot sun so the sides and rear are tinted at the state maximum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive