Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:02 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Advertisements

I have it on my SUV. It's kicked in once on ice. Interesting sensation having the back end correct itself before I could. Pissed me off just a little. Other than that I've never noticed it.

For those who hate air bags and seat belts: I would like to have had you walking next to me in 8th grade when the mother of a girl in my class rear ended a car right next to us. Our classmate went theough the windshield and when her body rebounded the windshield decapitated her. Seat belt and/or airbag would have saved her life.

A decapitated friend was a wonderful thing to see at age 13. BTW, the human body contains an amazing amount of blood and you realize how much when it's spurting all over the hood of a car...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 08:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post

Great feature for inexperienced drivers and I'm glad it's there for them...
The point is, they force everyone to remain an inexperienced driver their entire life, because they deny the experience of making a self-correction. Driving a car, like everything else you do in your life, from walking to eating with a spoon to catching a ball, is a process of learning to compensate for error.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The point is, they force everyone to remain an inexperienced driver their entire life, because they deny the experience of making a self-correction. Driving a car, like everything else you do in your life, from walking to eating with a spoon to catching a ball, is a process of learning to compensate for error.
Up here there are plenty of people who never learn. They'll do okay in the summer, but in winter it's everyone for themselves when these folks go out on the road.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:40 PM

76 posts, read 193,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I mean really, you come off as someone from sixty years ago campaigning against seat belts because you're God's gift to driving and all they really do is decapitate you anyway. I've seen the results of a quite a few crashes in vehicles without air bags and it is seriously not pretty (the crashes were often not the fault of the people killed). Many of them would still be fairly messed up, but at least alive had they had the air bags.
Quite the opposite. I am all FOR seatbelts. I think every car should come standard with a 5-point harness instead of a lap and shoulder belt. a HANS device would also be welcomed. That would save so many back and neck injuries in crashes, and GREATLY reduce insurance rates.

If your head can't physically move to the dashboard/steering wheel, you don't need an air bag to prevent you from hitting it in the first place. And if the car has come up on you THAT much from the impact, you're probably dead anyway, so it's a moot point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
Stability control is another idiot-proof system and idiot-proof systems create idiots.

Enough said.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:44 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansol View Post
I'm well aware of who Tiff is, and his pathetic racing 'career'. He did 2 races. One of which he didn't finish. VBH kicks his ass all the time in driving tests on 5th gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansol View Post
I'm well aware of who Tiff is, and his pathetic racing 'career'. He did 2 races. One of which he didn't finish. VBH kicks his ass all the time in driving tests on 5th gear.
Regardless, he's a better driver than 98% of the people on the road, and it did help him, which is the point.

For the majority of the drivers on the road, it's a helpful tool, and one that only really kicks in when they get in a crash/evasive situation.

As far as airbags go, they've been proven time and time again to save far more lives than they take/injure, yes, you'll brake a rip or two, maybe even your nose and jaw, but you're not dead.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:37 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
I have it on my 07 Charger, I usually leave it alone except for during the winter. Although it may seem counter intuitive, on snowy roads I prefer to drive with it off.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:55 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
stability control can be useful even for those drivers that understand vehicle dynamics, and are truly in control of their cars. none of my cars has it as they are too old to have it. if you are an average driver, and if you live in an area where the roads get very slippery because of ice or heavy rain, then go ahead and get the stability control equipped car.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:47 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Regardless, he's a better driver than 98% of the people on the road, and it did help him, which is the point.

For the majority of the drivers on the road, it's a helpful tool, and one that only really kicks in when they get in a crash/evasive situation.

As far as airbags go, they've been proven time and time again to save far more lives than they take/injure, yes, you'll brake a rip or two, maybe even your nose and jaw, but you're not dead.
I don't think it's a bad system, but far too many people become reliant on the tech versus learning how to drive themselves. We've all seen the guy in the blizzard doing 60+ on the highway in 4WD Grand Cherokee only to see him in a ditch 2 miles down the road. Now people have an even better excuse with all the aids to not actually learn how to drive and handle the situation. With all that said, I'm sure these systems will save lives.

From a performance perspective, it has been proven in many cases that a good driver is still better. For instance I'm sure another driver could have beaten the guy in your example, but as you pointed out most people aren't that driver. A lot also comes down to the system used. The majority of these systems are all or nothing (some of them can't even be turned off), prescious few actually allow you to dial in the "mode" or amount of "help" you want. Probably the best example of this is Mercedes system versus BMW's. Mercedes has one of the most intrusive traction nannies out there, while BMW let's you choose your mode and go from Mother Theresa (no fun at all) to Jenna Jamison (whole lotta fun).

Old 06-09-2011, 08:06 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I don't think it's a bad system, but far too many people become reliant on the tech versus learning how to drive themselves. We've all seen the guy in the blizzard doing 60+ on the highway in 4WD Grand Cherokee only to see him in a ditch 2 miles down the road. Now people have an even better excuse with all the aids to not actually learn how to drive and handle the situation. With all that said, I'm sure these systems will save lives.

From a performance perspective, it has been proven in many cases that a good driver is still better. For instance I'm sure another driver could have beaten the guy in your example, but as you pointed out most people aren't that driver. A lot also comes down to the system used. The majority of these systems are all or nothing (some of them can't even be turned off), prescious few actually allow you to dial in the "mode" or amount of "help" you want. Probably the best example of this is Mercedes system versus BMW's. Mercedes has one of the most intrusive traction nannies out there, while BMW let's you choose your mode and go from Mother Theresa (no fun at all) to Jenna Jamison (whole lotta fun).
Agreed. My Charger I believe has the Mercedes system (a result of the bad date between daimler & chrysler). The main reason I run without it in the winter is I prefere to be able to judge (from almost 30 years of snow driving) what my car will do in a given situation, not try to guess what the computer will do. Take pulling out into traffic for example, with the system on and a wheel spins while accelerating, it will apply brake to stop the wheel spin, which will usually cause the other wheel to spin, at which point the computer applies brake to that wheel and I end up coasting with traffic coming up behind me instead of accelerating, not a good situation to be in.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:10 AM

Very timely article:

USA TODAY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive