U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 06-13-2011, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
14,097 posts, read 13,910,183 times
Reputation: 7675
Default Transition lense coating for car windows?

Shopping for new glasses I began wondering if it is possible for car makers to turn the rear and side windows as well as the top edge of the front windshield into a Transition type window that darkens in the sun? The advantage would be improved night time visibility compared to fixed window tint. If possible, it would initially be luxury cars only. But are there states with tint laws so strict that even this tint would be illegal?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2011, 05:26 PM
 
Location: AZ
4,978 posts, read 5,981,490 times
Reputation: 6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Shopping for new glasses I began wondering if it is possible for car makers to turn the rear and side windows as well as the top edge of the front windshield into a Transition type window that darkens in the sun? The advantage would be improved night time visibility compared to fixed window tint. If possible, it would initially be luxury cars only. But are there states with tint laws so strict that even this tint would be illegal?
Saint Gobain is already doing it, most likely other manufacturers too. At least for roof glass, which is mostly flat.

SAINT-GOBAIN SEKURIT Product - Product Details - Electrochromic Glass

I read somewhere that electrochromic and/or photochromic glass is still difficult to manufacture in large, curved applications. It's been around for a long time in rear view mirrors and other flat pieces of glass. I'm sure that the technology is constantly improving, though. Saint Gobain's website seems to suggest that the technology will be seen in other applications besides sunroofs in the future.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2011, 07:15 PM
 
14,504 posts, read 6,834,505 times
Reputation: 6927
while it is possible, unless you have extremely poor night vision, legal tint works just fine at night. i have 35% front and 15% rear on my cars with no night vision issues, and my night vision is not as good as it used to be. the nice thing about tint is that it reduces glare which in fact helps night vision.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 08:41 AM
 
861 posts, read 1,134,740 times
Reputation: 901
I wear transitions lenses every day and from my experience there is one major issue with them thart would be problematic when used in auto glass. Tat problem is the reaction time. They darken quickly but take 20+ minutes to lighten up. Imagine driving into a tunnel or parking garage after being out in the sun. With the current coatings it would take forever for the glass to change.

As for the electro chromic and photo chromic glass. I can't stand that stuff. I have yet to see an auto darkening mirror that worked worth a damn.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 09:14 AM
 
Location: God's Gift to Mankind for flying anything
3,399 posts, read 4,724,958 times
Reputation: 2180
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i have 35% front and 15% rear on my cars
When you state *front* and *rear*, what exactly in your car is *front* or *rear* ?
Are you saying, your front windshield is 35% and your rear view window is 15% ? Why so little on your rear window ?
What percentage is on your side windows ?

Where I live, the windows on the driver's side and passenger side have a limit (dunno how much, but it isn't that much),
but the *front window shield* is *as is*.
The other windows, can be totally black if one would care to do so ...

On the subject of *auto-darkening* glasses, I have the same complaint as above.
Too slow to change ...
So, I went back to *neutral grey* on my *sun glasses*.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 10:53 AM
 
Location: AZ
4,978 posts, read 5,981,490 times
Reputation: 6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
while it is possible, unless you have extremely poor night vision, legal tint works just fine at night. i have 35% front and 15% rear on my cars with no night vision issues, and my night vision is not as good as it used to be. the nice thing about tint is that it reduces glare which in fact helps night vision.
Not to mention that legal tint is very inexpensive. It definitely helps with the glare factor too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 12:48 PM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
5,858 posts, read 5,789,437 times
Reputation: 6527
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
I wear transitions lenses every day and from my experience there is one major issue with them thart would be problematic when used in auto glass. Tat problem is the reaction time. They darken quickly but take 20+ minutes to lighten up. Imagine driving into a tunnel or parking garage after being out in the sun. With the current coatings it would take forever for the glass to change.
s
I second that.
I drove into the PA Turnpike tunnel and I thought somebody had turned the lights out.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
14,097 posts, read 13,910,183 times
Reputation: 7675
We don't have tunnels here in Louisiana. Never drove through one.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 08:21 PM
 
14,504 posts, read 6,834,505 times
Reputation: 6927
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
When you state *front* and *rear*, what exactly in your car is *front* or *rear* ?
Are you saying, your front windshield is 35% and your rear view window is 15% ? Why so little on your rear window ?
What percentage is on your side windows ?

Where I live, the windows on the driver's side and passenger side have a limit (dunno how much, but it isn't that much),
but the *front window shield* is *as is*.
The other windows, can be totally black if one would care to do so ...

On the subject of *auto-darkening* glasses, I have the same complaint as above.
Too slow to change ...
So, I went back to *neutral grey* on my *sun glasses*.
front doors 35%. everything behind that 15%, no tint on the windshield as that is illegal in ALL states except for a strip at the top no more than 4 inches down from the top..

as for transition lenses, i also have them, and in the car they dont darken, which is why i also have prescription sunglasses.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Columbia, California
6,536 posts, read 14,478,128 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
,,, But are there states with tint laws so strict that even this tint would be illegal?
Yes, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Are you saying, your front windshield is 35% and your rear view window is 15% ? Why so little on your rear window ?
15% is limo dark. 15% is the amount of light that enters the auto.

I imagine any auto tint would darken when hit with a cars headlights, hard to drive at night if the windows keep darkening off and on.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top