Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 09:07 PM

96 posts, read 258,200 times

Advertisements

I just got back from a trip to Colorado and have a question. While driving west of Colorado Springs my car started losing power. I was going 55 to 60 and ended up barely going 40 to 45. I was at 7000 to 8000 elevation. I turned off the AC thinking that was the problem but no improvement. Had the car checked before and after the trip and the mechanic couldn't find anything wrong with the car.
It was a narrow two lane highway and I was backing up traffic. There were only a few places where I could pull over and let people pass. It was embarassing to say the least. The car is a 4cylinder Chevy Prizm. Usually
I've driven a 8 cylinder in the mountains and never had this problem.
A friend told me I should have downshifted from drive into 2nd but wouldn't that make the car go even slower?
Is there something I could have done differently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 09:19 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,773,298 times
Perhaps you had less atmospheric pressure on the engine in the higher elevations causing a loss of power?

Old 09-11-2011, 10:09 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Perhaps you had less atmospheric pressure on the engine in the higher elevations causing a loss of power?
No perhaps to it. A Prizm needs every bit of engine it comes with just to maintain highway speed. Thinner air at higher elevations will rob any engine of power, and that anemic 4 banger has none to spare.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:04 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,670,235 times
At 8000 ft, your engine has about 2/3 of the power it did at closer to sea level due to the reduced oxygen in the air.

Your car engine is basically a pump that is powered by fuel and air being ignited. With less air/oxygen available at altitude to ignite, your horsepower suffers.

Depending on your gear ratios and speed, you could have manually shifted down to another gear.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMlover View Post
I just got back from a trip to Colorado and have a question. While driving west of Colorado Springs my car started losing power. I was going 55 to 60 and ended up barely going 40 to 45. I was at 7000 to 8000 elevation. I turned off the AC thinking that was the problem but no improvement. Had the car checked before and after the trip and the mechanic couldn't find anything wrong with the car.
It was a narrow two lane highway and I was backing up traffic. There were only a few places where I could pull over and let people pass. It was embarassing to say the least. The car is a 4cylinder Chevy Prizm. Usually
I've driven a 8 cylinder in the mountains and never had this problem.
A friend told me I should have downshifted from drive into 2nd but wouldn't that make the car go even slower?
Is there something I could have done differently?
Combustion engines lose power at higher altitudes. This is especially true if the engine has no forced induction -- in other words, if it is not turbocharged or supercharged. As an aside, this is how semi tractors came to be turbocharged. Diesels require a lot of air as it is, and long-distance haulers could barely get over high-altitude mountain passes out west. Consolidated Freightways decided to build their own tractors, and Freightliner was born. Nowadays nearly all diesel engines are turbocharged.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. At 8,000 feet, a car engine is making roughly 70% of the power it would be making at sea level. The small engine in your Prizm simply couldn't get enough air at high altitude to meet that power demands you were asking of it. The V8 you drove in a similar situation was experiencing the same rate of power loss; it just happened to have enough power in reserve to keep you moving.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:58 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,167,411 times
all the above and I bet you had it loaded down also.
(carrying a lot of weight up a steep grade with a 4cyl =slow)

Old 09-12-2011, 07:23 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,605,228 times
All of the 'above', no pun intended...
Even our '02 Vette, which runs with almost anything on the road, was down a bit on power on many high passes and 10,000+ ft roads during our 13,000 mile Road Trip, this past summer. Normal...
GL, mD

"Top of the World" Bear Tooth Pass Highway, ~11,000 ft Wyoming

Icefield Parkway, Banff National Park Alberta, CDA

Last edited by motordavid; 09-12-2011 at 08:35 AM..

Old 09-12-2011, 08:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Yes, Mtns + elevation can kill naturally aspirated 4 cyl engines. (Non-turbo). Your particular engine performs best at higher RPMs, thus a lower gear is essential when climbing. Autos with V8's typically have enough 'spare' power that loss at altitude is not noticeable to a 'recreational' driver.

Quote:
"Top of the World" Bear Tooth Pass, ~11,000 ft Wyoming
Beartooth Highway

and Trail Ridge Road excluded
Trail Ridge Road/Beaver Meadow Road Overview
The Arctic World along Trail Ridge Road/Beaver Meadow Road

Both frequent haunts in a past life. (and bicycling / motorcycling too!)

I seem to remember a loss of 'human horsepower' at these altitudes. (A 'heater' would have been nice too!)

Old 09-12-2011, 08:54 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
Years ago I had a 1966 4 cyl International Scout. Had a 2 jet carburetor. You reached in and slid a valve to swap over the smaller jet for high altitude.
People who live in high altitudes have their autos tuned for high altitude.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:15 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
as the others have said, an engine loses power at higher altitudes, and the less power reserve you have, the worse things seem to be. downshifting does help as it turns the rpms up and let the engine make more power. but even that is limited as well.

as for forced induction, that really does help as it normalizes the engine power output to more like what it does at sea level. in fact turbos were put on some light aircraft for that reason. it was called turbo-normalizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive