Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 09:00 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,707,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiworshipper View Post
Volt is handicaped with the 2 separate seats in the back,instead of a 3 person bench...
But when did GM do the right thing..?
That is one of the demerits on the Volt, but was an interesting compromise in order to better balance the vehicles weight, the Volt has near 50/50 weight distribution which is virtually unheard of in a FWD car. The weight is also situated much lower in the chassis lowering the center of gravity and increasing the vehicles stability. The anicillary benefit was also keeping a more usable trunk.

Having driven a Volt, they are extremely well balanced and handle well. The tires dampen some of the fun, but it is not appliance boring to drive a Volt in the corners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 09:08 AM

306 posts, read 218,939 times
I understand but...we all understand too the psychological boost of having a sedan which can accomodate in a squeezer 3 children in the back,or 2 adults & a baby seat...
GM shot Volt in the foot.
Better a trunk with a taller floor than the...divide between the 2 back seats...
Let's hope that the Focus is a killer...

Old 11-23-2011, 09:20 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,298,006 times
Quote:
I understand but...we all understand too the psychological boost of having a sedan which can accomodate in a squeezer 3 children in the back,or 2 adults & a baby seat...
Better a trunk with a taller floor than the...divide between the 2 back seats...
it was a necessary compromise to get the battery pack in a better location for low floor, larger trunk area, better crash protection, and better handling. Real owners are not having any problems with it being like that.

the platform IS going to be the base for a wider range of vehicles including a crossover...

Report: Chevy to unveil Volt-based Amp crossover in Detroit ? AutoMK - Concept Cars - CarMK.NET

Old 11-23-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I have three kids, so I understand the need. However, this might simply be a case of US vs. Euro "need". For most US buyers, the Volt is going to be a commuter car, so it doesn't need to haul the whole family around. Even then, the average American car carries 1.3 passengers per trip and the average size of a US household these days is around 2.5 people. So, while it is nice to have 5 passenger capacity, in the US market it isn't exactly a deal breaker for the vast majority.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I have three kids, so I understand the need. However, this might simply be a case of US vs. Euro "need". For most US buyers, the Volt is going to be a commuter car, so it doesn't need to haul the whole family around. Even then, the average American car carries 1.3 passengers per trip and the average size of a US household these days is around 2.5 people. So, while it is nice to have 5 passenger capacity, in the US market it isn't exactly a deal breaker for the vast majority.

It may be difficult these days to have a 3-car household,2 all-purpose cars & 1 for "special purpose",unless one buys them used & cheap
Volt can be an all-purpose car,since it has the ICE generator...

Just a little bit of redesigning the interior it needs...

I like silence a lot & I can only daydream the silence of an EV...

Old 11-23-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
It may be difficult these days to have a 3-car household,2 all-purpose cars & 1 for "special purpose",unless one buys them used & cheap
It depends, most are two car households and it really comes down to what works best. In my house, I drive the commuter car and my wife drives the family car, but she doesn't work either, which is admittedly not the norm. A lot of people in my neighborhood are setup that way. Dad drives the regular car and mom drives the family truckster. If there is a third car (and it's not an older child's) it tends to be the "toy".

Quote:
Volt can be an all-purpose car,since it has the ICE generator...

Just a little bit of redesigning the interior it needs...
It can be, which is a large part of its appeal. The other variants that are planned will be able to seat 5 passengers. I think the Volt was trying to be more than just a plain sedan, more of a premium car and the driving dynamics suit it very well as does the equipment load.

Quote:
I like silence a lot & I can only daydream the silence of an EV...
Yet you want to load 5 people including kids into it...lol.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:54 AM

I am considering all uses...
BTW,I guess u can replace those low-resistance tires with..normal,for better grip,even if u sacrifice mileage..

Old 11-23-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I am considering all uses...
BTW,I guess u can replace those low-resistance tires with..normal,for better grip,even if u sacrifice mileage..
Yes, you can swap out the low rolling resistance tires for ones with more grip and traction. The biggest limiting factor there is width as the OEM tires are 215/55R17's which are really narrow for a car as large the Volt. Still though, there are plenty of tires available in that size (at least in the US) to replace them with everything from high performance to all season touring tires. On the mileage sacrifice, testing shows that the tires can add up to 1-2 MPG, but any real world testing I have seen shows only a very negligible difference. If it were my car, I would dith the low resistance tires for regular ones as soon as they were worn.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:53 PM

Can't wait to test drive the car which -probably - shows the future of things to come...

Old 11-24-2011, 03:57 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,652,730 times
I saw a volt on the road for the first time. Decent looking car. Looked better then I thought in person.

I haven't driven one, but here is a review from a guy that runs a Camaro board(also was one of the first messageboards in the history of the internet, started in 1997)

He is down to earth, drives like a 2002 cherokee, and obviously a camaro. So a down to earth car enthusiust.

I get to use a Chevrolet Volt for a few days - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive