Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2011, 04:17 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times

Advertisements

....what are you supposed to do? What can you do? Even if you're armed with GPS that tells you your speed and the mendacious cops tell you you're 20 mph over what you were REALLY doing, what are your options? It's not like you can subpoena the GPS data, can you? Not that their punk, podunk court would even allow that as evidence.

What can you do when cops lie? Has anyone ever been in such a situation?

Example: US Highway 161 near North side of town Speed Traps | The National Speed Trap Exchange
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 07:46 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
In most Third World countries, the police are generally perceived as The Enemy. The USA is quickly becoming one of theme.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:08 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Police usually lie when they think it will help. They shouldn't because they are not smart enough to know when it will help and when it will hurt. Planting evidence has caused many a guilty person to go free. In my first court trial for a client the cop lied. I learned early.

Ther is nothing you can do about it. They almost always get away with it but sometimes it backfires. Usually when their lie does not fit into the time line or fact pattern where there is a guilty person.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:24 AM

220 posts, read 376,910 times
Sounds to me like somebody got caught speeding, and is ticked off about it.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:37 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBanson View Post

I think that you have identified part of the persona of the OP.
For some other clues, take a look at the following thread that he created a while back:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...cket-snow.html

He also posted a recent question regarding how likely he is to be ticketed for having illegal window tinting. It should also be noted that, in his posts, he likes to refer to police officers as "Revenue Generators".

So, it appears that this person is convinced that he is far superior to other drivers--and thus should be allowed to speed with impunity in all weather conditions, that he should be allowed to have illegal window tinting, and if he is stopped by a police officer, he is being persecuted, despite his superiority to everyone else on the road.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I think that you have identified part of the persona of the OP.
For some other clues, take a look at the following thread that he created a while back:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...cket-snow.html

He also posted a recent question regarding how likely he is to be ticketed for having illegal window tinting. It should also be noted that, in his posts, he likes to refer to police officers as "Revenue Generators".

So, it appears that this person is convinced that he is far superior to other drivers--and thus should be allowed to speed with impunity in all weather conditions, that he should be allowed to have illegal window tinting, and if he is stopped by a police officer, he is being persecuted, despite his superiority to everyone else on the road.
Gotcha. I haven't been here long enough to know anybody, or their posting history.

I haven't had a speeding ticket in over 20 years. And even though I was pretty POd about my last one (it was one of those small-town speed traps, where the 35mph zone starts a quarter mile out of town), I was speeding. I was guilty, even though it really wasn't intentional.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:58 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
....what are you supposed to do? What can you do? Even if you're armed with GPS that tells you your speed and the mendacious cops tell you you're 20 mph over what you were REALLY doing, what are your options? It's not like you can subpoena the GPS data, can you? Not that their punk, podunk court would even allow that as evidence.

What can you do when cops lie? Has anyone ever been in such a situation?

Example: US Highway 161 near North side of town Speed Traps | The National Speed Trap Exchange
Once, I was driving through Kansas in a Geo Metro with bad tires that would shake violently if I went over 60 miles per hour. Imagine my surprise when I was pulled over by a policeman for going 72 in a 65 MPH zone

Fortunately, for all of us, 99 percent of the police officers out there are honest, decent, hard-working and caring people who, even if faced with monthly "quotas" will not fabricate a speeding ticket.

If you are adamant and have the "proof" you say you do, then show up in court and tell the judge. Otherwise, pay the ticket. It's as simple as that.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-26-2011, 08:59 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,834 times
The superior drivers(the real ones), KNOW they must slow down based on the road/weather conditions for many reasons, some of which have nothing to do with their driving skills.

During/after heavy snow storms I see very few family type cars wrecked on the side of the road, most of them are small sports cars and big SUV types, probably driven by "superior" drivers that felt everyone else was going too slow.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:03 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
Bingo,
The cop got smarter and waited for him.
I bet he used a laser or instant on and just waited for him. A cop who wants to catch you speeding will, no mater what type of rader/lazer detector you have.
Bingo,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBanson View Post
See what you think after reading some other posts on speeding he has posted.

Quote:
Anyone have any good experiences with specific radar detectors? How so? What was the situation where it had helped you?

Thanks in advance, hope everyone has a great weekend while I work my butt off on the night shift!
Quote:
Hmmm, thanks for letting me know about that. I'll have to do a bit more research on that subject. As for a radar detector being "de facto evidence of intent to speed", I scoff at that. I see it more as evidence of trying to protect myself against speed traps like Shavano Park.

Drove through there just yesterday when I had to run an errand during rush hour and didn't want to sit in the 1604 parking lot. Put my cruise control just under the speed limit and could not imagine how incredibly low it was for the conditions. Ridiculous. I'm not an advocate of roaring through everywhere as fast as you can, merely one of driving appropriately on roads at the proper speed for design and conditions. And 35 mph on Lockhill-Selma is way too low. When you go 40-45 mph there, you're not speeding, you're "speeding", because the speed limit is artificially low. It's pretty despicable.

The only reason I wanted to know is because it would be nice to have a radar detector protect me (and others) in such despicable places. As for driving in San Antonio city, I usually never speed because I don't need to....the limits are appropriate pretty much everywhere I've ever driven in the city of San Antonio. Have I ever driven faster than the speed limit? Yes, I have. 87 mph cruise control in Subaru Impreza from Houston city limits to San Antonio city limits in a rainstorm. Never got home faster than that, that was an amazing drive. 80 mph cruise control on 410 or 1604 going home at 4 AM from a party. Did I endanger anyone? Seriously doubtful.

As for daytime driving, I always just follow traffic.
Quote:
Yes, we WOULD make that assumption. Except it's a wrong assumption, in some cases. In the vast majority of cases, I'm sure it is correct. But in some, it is not.

We shouldn't be forced to drive 25 mph when we can safely do a higher speed. It is dangerous to force people to drive differently than they would otherwise.

This is why the speed limits have to be appropriate. And it's not difficult to tell what they are, for the average driver with few marks on their record. Of course, that leaves out 50% of the drivers in this city, so....
This one is really good.
Quote:
Both at one point for a short time (such as when you're testing the capability of your car) and for an extended trip when you plunk the cruise control at a high speed?

My records are 140 mph on Blanco Road north of Wilderness Oak in an Infiniti G35 & 87 mph when I drove from Houston to San Antonio in a torrential rainstorm in a Subaru Impreza. That was the fastest I had ever gotten home from Galveston, and I don't expect to replicate it for the rest of my life.

So what are your records? Be warned that this is not a thread about the dangers of driving fast or this or that, we are well aware of everything that could be mentioned. This is just a thread about our concrete numbers and information, if you are willing to share.

You finely got caught, it's now time to pay.
It's the price you pay to speed.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:16 AM

Yeah... Regardless of my opinion about posted speed limits, I have learned that the way to not get speeding tickets is to not speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive