Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 02:54 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,954,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Do you guys think that flying to Germany on occasion & renting a car there might be cheaper in the long run?
Not if I have to go to Germany every week....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
November 2000: Laguna Hills, CA: 80 in a 65
March 2001: Irvine, CA: 87 in a 65
July 2002: San Juan Capistrano, CA: 56 in a 45
November 2002: San Clemente, CA: 82 in a 65
August 2003: San Juan Capistrano, CA: 84 in a 65
December 2003: Torrance, CA: 55 in a 35
December 2004: West Los Angeles, CA: 60 in a 40
January 2006: Mission Viejo, CA: 95 in a 65
January 2010: Barstow, CA: 90 in a 70

I'm actually relieved that I'm driving less than 10k miles per year now. Speeding ticket fines in CA are ridiculous. I've even made a vow not to drive to Vegas anymore because the CHP takes your money before you even get there. Good thing I saved up quite a bit of frequent flyer miles.
Vince, how did you resolve all those tickets? Did you pay heavy fines on some of them? I imagine you availed yourself of the traffic school option a few times. I can see how much good it did.... You must have gotten to know the traffic court judges pretty well, man.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:29 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,949,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Vince, how did you resolve all those tickets? Did you pay heavy fines on some of them? I imagine you availed yourself of the traffic school option a few times. I can see how much good it did.... You must have gotten to know the traffic court judges pretty well, man.
Yeah, I definitely took traffic school as often as I could. What sucks about it, though, is that in OC (in those days, at least), the only traffic school option they gave you was in person at the courthouse, for 8 hours starting early Saturday morning. If you ask me about traffic school now, I'd say they should actually let you take it more often (you can only take it once every 18 months here), but if you ask me during an actual traffic school session, I'd tell you that it was stupid waste of time.

For the times I wasn't eligible for traffic school, I'd show up at court a few times to plea for a lesser punishment, and sometimes the judge would reduce the fine, but never the license points, which sucks because that's what raises your insurance premiums.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I definitely took traffic school as often as I could. What sucks about it, though, is that in OC (in those days, at least), the only traffic school option they gave you was in person at the courthouse, for 8 hours starting early Saturday morning. If you ask me about traffic school now, I'd say they should actually let you take it more often (you can only take it once every 18 months here), but if you ask me during an actual traffic school session, I'd tell you that it was stupid waste of time.

For the times I wasn't eligible for traffic school, I'd show up at court a few times to plea for a lesser punishment, and sometimes the judge would reduce the fine, but never the license points, which sucks because that's what raises your insurance premiums.
8 hours on a Saturday? Ugh, that's worse than the Saturday detentions I got a couple of times in high school. But I guess it's better than all those points.

How much were you paying a year for insurance at the height of your ticket craze?

Old 11-13-2011, 03:33 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Back in the days before the internet, traffic school (then called Defensive Driving class) was pretty much on the honor system. You had to go the class, then mail the completion certificate back to the judge. I had a friend who taught the class professionally, and he gave me a stack of blank completion forms. I'd type in the name of some insurance company, then forge a signature and mail it in.

Worked every time.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Back in the days before the internet, traffic school (then called Defensive Driving class) was pretty much on the honor system. You had to go the class, then mail the completion certificate back to the judge. I had a friend who taught the class professionally, and he gave me a stack of blank completion forms. I'd type in the name of some insurance company, then forge a signature and mail it in.

Worked every time.
I've heard that a lot. Or people go to the class and just sleep through it. It's sort of a joke.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
8 hours on a Saturday? Ugh, that's worse than the Saturday detentions I got a couple of times in high school. But I guess it's better than all those points.

How much were you paying a year for insurance at the height of your ticket craze?
When I was living with my parents, I was under their auto insurance policy, so I think the highest that my portion of the monthly bill has ever been was just under $200/mo, before we switched insurance companies. I suppose it could've been worse, but it was a fortune to a broke college kid working part time making $20k/yr. That, and my dad kept giving me crap every time I got a ticket, as if I didn't hear enough of it from the cop lol

By the time I was taking the in-person traffic school, the teachers would threaten to throw out anyone caught falling asleep in class, and the person would have to reschedule and start all over again. It was like voluntary mental torture.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:01 AM

Quote:
When I was living with my parents, I was under their auto insurance policy, so I think the highest that my portion of the monthly bill has ever been was just under $200/mo, before we switched insurance companies. I suppose it could've been worse, but it was a fortune to a broke college kid working part time making $20k/yr. That, and my dad kept giving me crap every time I got a ticket, as if I didn't hear enough of it from the cop lol

By the time I was taking the in-person traffic school, the teachers would threaten to throw out anyone caught falling asleep in class, and the person would have to reschedule and start all over again. It was like voluntary mental torture.
Hah, apparently you didn't hear enough grief about it, because you kept getting tickets....

Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Hah, apparently you didn't hear enough grief about it, because you kept getting tickets....
Yeah, it amazes me how some cops can power trip so intensely over something so stupid and meaningless as writing a speeding ticket. It's funny, sad, and disturbing at the same time.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:48 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,033,667 times
Quote:
Yeah, it amazes me how some cops can power trip so intensely over something so stupid and meaningless as writing a speeding ticket. It's funny, sad, and disturbing at the same time.
They think they're protecting peoples' safety & saving someone's life in the future. So sad to realize that all they're doing is revenue generating. PATHETIC!

Case in point: in 1975, the cop would have been ranting at a college student doing 65 mph in a 55 mph speed limit & revenue generating there.

What's the speed limit today? 70 mph.

It's all a farce. Pathetic that this occurs in the United States of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive