Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2011, 09:29 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times

Advertisements

Ive been running illegal tint for 4 years with nothing other that a look or 2 from the leo.
It seams like more and more vehicles are coming from the factory with windows that are to dark and will not pass the light test.

Out west even the police have tinted windows.

I have only been asked about my tent when i was a kid back in the 80'.

I believe it is a secondary offense?
In other words they need a reason other than the tint to stop you.

If you get hassled about it you can offer to remove it right then, this might get you out of the fix-it-ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 10:23 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post

In other words they need a reason other than the tint to stop you.
Not here. All three times the tint was the reason I was stopped.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:59 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
As long as your front and front side windows are legal in TX (which they should be, to be able to see properly), you shouldn't have any problems. My rear windows are almost completely blacked out (you cant make out anything but the occasional silhouette even when putting your face right up against it) and it's both 100% legal and never been pulled over.

...Does pose some challenges backing up in the dark though, hehe.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
Well unless you're registering your car in any of those states, I don't think it will be a huge problem. For example I saw a car from AZ with real dark tint that I'm not use to entirely seeing around here. But then I realized AZ has no legal limit for tinting since that state gets 3-digit temps that will burn your face off. And also w/e vmax said about bringing attention.
not true, here in arizona we DO have tint limits in the law. the front door windows can have tint no darker than 35%, and given the state allowance that means if you put a light meter on a front door window it must register at least 26% light transmission.

the rear doors and back can be painted over if you want.

the windshield can have a strip at the top no more than 4" tall, unless you have a doctors order for tint on the front windshield, then you can have a tint known as airblue put on the windshield.

as for having issues in other states, i have had none in the last 25 years, even when california was writing tickets for tinted windows.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:19 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,015 times
I've been stopped one time in Texas for tint. Pretty much have gone with legal tint since then. Never had any issue in New Mexico in my travels there.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:25 PM

373 posts, read 709,805 times
Even if you avoid detection with your dark windows you may wish you never had them if you have an accident. Even if you dont cause the accident the FACT that you had limited visability due to dark windows can ruin your case in court.....Why risk it.? If you like things dark why not wear sun glasses,,,,lol

Old 12-25-2011, 07:37 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
not true, here in arizona we DO have tint limits in the law. the front door windows can have tint no darker than 35%, and given the state allowance that means if you put a light meter on a front door window it must register at least 26% light transmission.

the rear doors and back can be painted over if you want.

the windshield can have a strip at the top no more than 4" tall, unless you have a doctors order for tint on the front windshield, then you can have a tint known as airblue put on the windshield.
Oh, that makes sense. Never had airblue but sounds interesting.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:21 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconman View Post
If you like things dark why not wear sun glasses,,,,lol
It is about more than just shading your eyes, it keeps your interior cooler and protests it from the suns harmful rays.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:51 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
It is about more than just shading your eyes, it keeps your interior cooler and protests it from the suns harmful rays.
And some cars look better with dark tint.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:29 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
I got a fix it ticket here in ca a few yrs back (front side windows) from a rookie cop. I removed the tint, had the ticket signed off by another cop & paid the greedy $25.00 fee. I didnt bother to retint cause cops now a days are out to protect & collect instead of protect & serve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive