Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 07:53 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
When a new car is sold the state collects a hefty tax. Everytime that car is resold the state continues to collect a tax though not as high as the first time. Why do we as citzens & voters let the greedy politicians get away with this ? It should only be a one time tax.
If you take this one step further your paycheck was already taxed. Why should anything you buy with that money be taxed again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 07:56 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,882,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
America is a strange country when it comes to haggling. Haggling is the accepted norm for everything from houses to candy bars in most parts of the world; creating and fostering a "no haggle" culture is a great way for sellers to make A LOT more money than they would otherwise.

Sellers take advantage of American's haggle fears, which exist because most Amerians aren't generally very good at it since they rarely haggle in the first place. Don't fear the haggle.
I agree...do your homework, don't get too attached to the vehicle you are looking at and don't be afraid to make YOUR offer and don't be afraid to walk out the door. And, when you walk out the door be prepaired to be intimidated in some way.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:28 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
It never benefits the consumer unless the consumer is woefully unaware of going prices. That or the not having to haggle is worth 10+% more than what a car would normally sell for.

Places like Carmax are like gamestop. Buy your games for way too little, and turn around and sell It for way too much, to save you the leg work involved with not getting ripped off. .

Precisely what dealers don't pay as little as possible for used cars and try to sell them for as much as possible? Closed ones?

They put a price on the dash and YOU decide whether the car is worth that amount.

Personally, I have always found them overpriced. But then, i have access to Manheim and some of the dealer auctions.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:43 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
With the U.S. quickly becoming northern Mexico, I wouldn't bet on a future for a strong no-haggle culture in America.
No haggling, may be the *normal* method for buying anything, here in the USA now, but essentially, shopping around, is a way of *haggling*.
You keep looking around and find the store with the lowest price, no ?

At any store, after I decide to buy from them what I want, I immediately ask, if they have certain discounts. Like for Retirees or Military personnel.
Often, they do give some percentage off the price. You do not ask, you do not get !

So if I can not haggle, I ask for discounts. Some kind of *haggling*, no ?
I grew up in Asia, and *haggling* is part of life there.

Come to think of it, buying a home, comes with offer and counter offer.
Selling stuff privately, comes with offer and counter offer.
I wish it was more common here ...

Old 02-04-2012, 07:15 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Naw, man - they got over on you. You see, they took the money you paid for that extended warranty and invested it to cover against future repairs. Except they did REALLY good on it, and got like a 15% return on their investment. Plus, other people saw you driving that van around and went and bought vehicles from that same dealer. Then the guy in charge of investing money for them took a bit of it and went to Vegas and hit it big and bought more shares of the company, and he was able to send his kids to ivy league schools and they became lawyers who won massive class action lawsuits against other companies. So they like owe you a million dollars at least...I mean you did buy a car from them.
I didn't know driving an old Plymouth Grand Voyager (with CarMax stickers, license plate frames removed) would influence so many to buy from them. I'm sure if it was a Honda or a Toyota then that might be true. I didn't figure the percentage, but on that van I think I beat that 15%. The funny thing is, that van was really reliable. I had all four power windows fixed for nearly the price of the warranty plus a few other minor repairs.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:19 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I could be wrong, but I think this poster's use of the word is meant to be tongue in cheek, playing off on the OPs definition of scamming.
Exactly right.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:45 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I didn't know driving an old Plymouth Grand Voyager (with CarMax stickers, license plate frames removed) would influence so many to buy from them. I'm sure if it was a Honda or a Toyota then that might be true. I didn't figure the percentage, but on that van I think I beat that 15%. The funny thing is, that van was really reliable. I had all four power windows fixed for nearly the price of the warranty plus a few other minor repairs.
I was being facetious.

But seriously, an extended service agreement can be a great investment under the right conditions, it is just funny when these so called buyer's guides absolutely recommend not purchasing one.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:25 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Come to think of it, buying a home, comes with offer and counter offer. Selling stuff privately, comes with offer and counter offer.
I wish it was more common here ...
Come to west Texas then. Except for high property taxes, we never pay the asking price price for anything, new or used. También hablamos español.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:44 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
we never pay the asking price price for anything, new or used. También hablamos español.
You made my day !!

Old 02-04-2012, 04:04 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Im surprised the govt (local or state) dont force people to report & tax items sold at yard sales. Some people make a nice chunk of change but many items at yard sales are too high. If i can get the same exact item for the same price or a lil more new at walmart or any retail store ill do it & i have. This goes for thrift store as well. One thrift store was selling used tree pruners for $10.00 & i got new & much better pruners at walmart for less then a dollar more. At a pawn shop nearby their prices are high but the used cds are only $3.00. The saying "there is a sucker born every minute" is quite true. I was one of them twice when i bought my 2 cars at 2 different dealerships over a 5 yr period. That was a expensive lesson learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive