Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:22 PM

166 posts, read 346,875 times

Advertisements

1) At what mileage should you sell your car to avoid possible costly repairs; or

2) At what age of the car should you sell it to avoid possible costly repairs?

Assuming it's a reputable car, such as a Honda or Toyota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 08:31 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperManGuy View Post
1) At what mileage should you sell your car to avoid possible costly repairs; or

Let's assume that it is an accord or camry 4 cylinder. If you are one to keep a car, run synthetic oil day one, and don't jump curbs with it? 150-200k miles....Might still get 5k retail...this after roughly 10 years of service and minimal expense and an initial cost of 19k plus tax, title tag....please, can't beat it....

If you tend to like new car smell more often, dump them before they reach 90k and timing belts need replacing. Both are near bullet proof buys. Resale, even with high mileage is truly there provided you don't smoke, keep the finish up and treat it decently. There is simply no better car value out there. Period.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:42 PM

166 posts, read 346,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Let's assume that it is an accord or camry 4 cylinder. If you are one to keep a car, run synthetic oil day one, and don't jump curbs with it? 150-200k miles....Might still get 5k retail...this after roughly 10 years of service and minimal expense and an initial cost of 19k plus tax, title tag....please, can't beat it....

If you tend to like new car smell more often, dump them before they reach 90k and timing belts need replacing. Both are near bullet proof buys. Resale, even with high mileage is truly there provided you don't smoke, keep the finish up and treat it decently. There is simply no better car value out there. Period.
Does your above paragraphs change if it's a Civic or Corolla?

Old 02-10-2012, 08:52 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
Every 36 months for this guy, sometimes sooner if there is equity in the lease. I need something new and fresh every couple of years and don't have a problem paying for it.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:05 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:

I have seen more people get rid of very reliable cars because they hit an arbitrary number like 50k or 100k miles. And more than likely, the newer car end up being a lemon.

I keep a vehicle until the repair bills start coming every two months or so.

Major repairs generally come as a result of DEFERRED maintenance. That is, the owner stops doing the scheduled maintenance at a certain mileage because "it is not worth it" and eventually, the car gets into a condition where it is not worth repairing.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:37 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:

What exactly is a "reputable car"? My dad owned a Ford Super Duty diesel that went for 300k miles and was still going strong when he sold it and bought a new one.

If I was driving a Mercedes, I wouldn't drive it one day without a warranty because of the costly repairs but I'd drive a Chevy or Ford for a couple hundred thousand miles until the engine was just shot. However, I like the new car smell and trade my truck off every 3 years usually having about 50k miles on it.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:14 PM

36 posts, read 67,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
What exactly is a "reputable car"? My dad owned a Ford Super Duty diesel that went for 300k miles and was still going strong when he sold it and bought a new one.

If I was driving a Mercedes, I wouldn't drive it one day without a warranty because of the costly repairs but I'd drive a Chevy or Ford for a couple hundred thousand miles until the engine was just shot. However, I like the new car smell and trade my truck off every 3 years usually having about 50k miles on it.
This is a valid point; there is a huge price difference in parts and labor for domestic and foreign cars. Even between foreign cars from different parts of the world vary greatly (i.e. German vs. Asian etc).

Old 02-10-2012, 11:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I finally ditched my 17-year-old car when the repair bills routinely started to add up to the amount I'd spend on a car payment for a late-model used car.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:38 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
I think it's possible to keep even a good car too long. I've got a 1987 Honda Accord LX sedan that's in great shape with less than 60,000 original miles, and I feel like I can't sell it. For one thing, I would have no idea how to price it. It's off the charts as far as Blue Book value. Because it has so many miles left in it, it's worth a lot more than it's worth, if you know what I mean. So I keep it because it would break my heart to trade it a low-mileage classic like that in for the couple of thousand that a dealer would offer.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:42 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
If it is paid for or close to being paid for why would you go into debt for a different vehicle?

Too bad so many humans buy into the "Fleecing" is better lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive