Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 03:49 PM

410 posts, read 1,494,901 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I am a tall woman looking for a car with lots of legroom.

I must be honest. I am a person who cares about how the vehicle looks. I would like a stylish yet dependable car and it must have 4 doors. I hate 2 door cars. I don't want to look like a clown in small car trying to pry myself out of it....I've seen so many people like that. LOL

I currently have a small SUV type of vehicle which I love but guzzles up too much gas. So the car must be pretty good on gas since I travel quite a distance going to and from work and school. I wouldn't mind another SUV since they seem to have alot of space but I'm not sure I can find something good on gas and within my price range.

I'm looking for something used and no more than $10,000-$12,000 and at least a 2005 or 2006. I know that might be hard to find but I'm willing to wait until I find something within my price range and year. If that's not realistic for the price I don't mind something a little older (but not too old).

Doesn't matter if it's Foreign or American made because I've had both.

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 05:52 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Happy 2 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I must be honest. I am a person who cares about how the vehicle looks. I would like a stylish yet dependable car and it must have 4 doors. I hate 2 door cars. I don't want to look like a clown in small car trying to pry myself out of it....I've seen so many people like that. LOL

I currently have a small SUV type of vehicle which I love but guzzles up too much gas. So the car must be pretty good on gas since I travel quite a distance going to and from work and school. I wouldn't mind another SUV since they seem to have alot of space but I'm not sure I can find something good on gas and within my price range.

I'm looking for something used and no more than $10,000-$12,000 and at least a 2005 or 2006. I know that might be hard to find but I'm willing to wait until I find something within my price range and year. If that's not realistic for the price I don't mind something a little older (but not too old).

Any help is appreciated.
Why not look at this a bit differently.....

You already own the best car for you and your use just learn now to use it with more efficiency in your driving. Throwing money at a new/different car is not smart at all if all you want to do is save gas (THE smallest cost of vehicle ownership).

All of these links will help you understand how to use your SUV better.......
Car Bibles: Get better gas mileage - improve your mpg

Gas Mileage Tips

Fuel economy: Save money on gas (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/tires-auto-parts/car-maintenance/fuel-economy-save-money-on-gas/overview/index.htm - broken link)

A big no no that way to many people do is ignore correct tire PSI. Correct tire PSI can be measured in increased MPG due elimination of tire drag!!!!!!! All it takes is a tire gage (inexpensive) and some time every week.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:17 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Happy 2 View Post
Hello Everyone,

Any help is appreciated.
Compare two door and four door versions of the same car and you'll see that the two door has a wider door opening. If anything it's more difficult to get out of a 4 door car. I have bought several coupes for this very reason.

What's your idea of good MPG?

Old 03-03-2012, 06:14 PM

410 posts, read 1,494,901 times
Thank you for your advice..........

Grandpa Pipes, I've done all of what is requested for fuel efficiency in the links you provided. I am just ready for another vehicle. Mine is getting old and I prefer to have 2 cars instead of 1 in case something happens to one I have a back up. It's been very valuable to have that second car on numerous occassions so I don't feel I would be throwing away my money. My second car recently went out and needs too much work on it so I would prefer to invest that money into another vehicle.

vmaxnc I should say I just don't like 2 door cars. I don't like having to move my seat when someone wants to get in the back seat. The access is too limited in my opinion.

My idea of good MPG is at least 20 city and anything above that highway.

So far I've looked into Toyota Avalon's, Chrysler 300...........any thoughts?

Old 03-03-2012, 06:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Consider Volvo. My 6'-4" kid finally left VW's behind (I don't fix Volvos, no more using me as 'free fleet mechanic' )

He got an S40 and it is quite roomy, sporty, + AWD, w/ manual tranny, and within your mileage spec. He got into it from original owner, for under $12k w/ ~ 60k miles .

BWM has some very nice affordable models too (Used).

I would certainly try a few Euro imports on for size, it really depends on your taste and driving style (most everything looks similar these days).

I am a very aggressive 'sport' driver and can not deal with mushy suspension and 'recliner-style' seats / funeral home interior of most US cars. You may enjoy the luxury of a comfy car. They are just 'utility' to me.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:10 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,350 times
The Avalon is likely your best bet. I'd avoid Chrysler - its reliability is not in the same class as Toyota by far.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:20 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,857 times
Have you thought about a scion xb or a nissan versa hatch? both look small but you'll be amazed of the legroom inside. you have to sit in it to believe it. both of these will get more than 25 mpg city.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:43 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,390,804 times
I would skip the Chrysler 300, especially used. If you want lower maintenance, I would skip BMW, as the cars can be wonderful, but they are not among the most inexpensive to maintain. Volvo S40 with the 2.5T engine, and/or the S60 can be reliable; however, the S40 is on the smaller side. The maintenance will be more expensive than an Avalon, and you would need the FWD version, not the AWD as it just adds to the maintenance/repair, and unless it is necessary for snow, would not be worth the fuel penalty and extra cost.

For a roomy, smaller SUV, have you considered the Honda Element? They are pretty roomy, though the styling is love-or-hate.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-03-2012, 10:03 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,857 times
you can also get a 05 or 06 crv, or rav4 for 10-12k, low mileage. they get at least 20 mpg city, it might be slow for your taste though.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:24 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,124 times
Just tossing out there G6 sedans and coupes...

My car(well wifez now) I was looking at Mazda 6s and the Ford Fusion, in the end this car fit me great, I am 6'5" and was the most comfortable and has legroom in the back as well.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/5848_122136713801_533343801_2410562_7999100_n.jpg1 (broken link)

My mom had a leased G6 hardtop convertable coupe, but they also come in a hardop coupe that look nearly identical.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive