Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:46 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times

Advertisements

when i got my new Toyota Yaris, I had spent some time reading various online road tests of the car. Two articles described the interior as "more Scion than Toyota"

I know Scions are a subsidiary of Toyota and the Scion XD was recommended to me (but I didn't care for the styling when I saw it in the showroom). another sporty Scion was showed to me but I didn't want to spend the extra $$

what do they mean by "more Scion than Toyota"? tho I have not seen many Scions, i am now wondering if the outside is is "more Scion" too. especially from the back.

I assume that tho Scions are basically Toyotas, their styling is more progressive and radical than Toyota

any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 09:04 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post

I assume that tho Scions are basically Toyotas, their styling is more progressive and radical than Toyota

any ideas?
Yes, Scions were marketed towards a younger demographics so their exterior/interior designs are less conservative/stodgy than regular Toyotas.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:14 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Yes, Scions were marketed towards a younger demographics so their exterior/interior designs are less conservative/stodgy than regular Toyotas.

+1

Most Scions are bought by younger folks, who appreciate a somewhat more stylish interior. However, since those younger folks also tend to play their audio very loudly (and may already have suffered some hearing loss), there is less sound-deadening insulation in Scions and in the Yaris, as compared to larger Toyotas. Toyota is able to save a few bucks per car by eliminating much of the sound-deadening insulation.

So, the core demographic for these cars will notice and appreciate the styling, while never being aware that they are driving a car with a much higher interior noise level!

Old 02-25-2012, 09:29 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
interesting. never thought of that before. i am so glad Toyota moved the speedometer to the left side for 2012. if it were 2011 I would not have bought the Yaris just for the center speedometer alone

it's like the 1969 big Plymouth/Dodge/Chrysler with the ignition key lock on the left side, WTF??!!

Old 02-26-2012, 07:55 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
To put it bluntly, cheaper. Don't get me wrong. I own a Scion and think it's a perfectly fine vehicle. But the interior quality and fit and finish are not what you would expect from a Toyota. You know it's wrong when I envy a Corolla for crying out loud.

But another characteristic of Scions that I LOVE is how easy they are to work on. The vehicles were designed to be modified, hence they're made to be taken apart and put back together easily. Everything in the engine bay is cake, the suspension is child's play, and every interior panel I've had to remove comes out with just a healthy tug. For someone who works on their own vehicles, it's great!

Mike

Old 02-27-2012, 06:29 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
interesting. never thought of that before. i am so glad Toyota moved the speedometer to the left side for 2012. if it were 2011 I would not have bought the Yaris just for the center speedometer alone

it's like the 1969 big Plymouth/Dodge/Chrysler with the ignition key lock on the left side, WTF??!!
All Porsche have the ignition key on the left, so when you participate in a motorsport race that involves a start with you outside of the car and engine not running, you can crank the engine with your left hand whilst using your right mitt to find first gear...no doubt in '69 Mopar had similar reasons.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:27 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Probably quality of materials, fit and finish, as well as actual design of the interior fits the scion lineup better than Toyotas. Basically, the interior is not to be confused with a Corolla or Camry. (for better or worse, depending on point of view)

Old 02-28-2012, 07:58 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

+1

Most Scions are bought by younger folks, who appreciate a somewhat more stylish interior. However, since those younger folks also tend to play their audio very loudly (and may already have suffered some hearing loss), there is less sound-deadening insulation in Scions and in the Yaris, as compared to larger Toyotas. Toyota is able to save a few bucks per car by eliminating much of the sound-deadening insulation.

So, the core demographic for these cars will notice and appreciate the styling, while never being aware that they are driving a car with a much higher interior noise level!
I don't disagree with any of the other analysis anyone has offered, but I will quibble with the notion that Scions are bought by younger folks. In the beginning they were. Something like 80% of Scions when they first came out were bought by folks under 30 and for most it was their first new car. However, that has not been the recent trend at all. The current age for a Scion buyer is currently 39, one of the lowest in the industry, but way off the target mark Toyota had set.

The big reason for that is the xB, which has an average buyer age of 46 and makes up a good chunk of Scion volume. Toyota had expected the xA to be the volume car, but the xB outsells 2:1 and is very popular among older people who want "space in a small car" and they found that the "unique" styling actually appealed to older buyers as well.

Overall, Scion is struggling mightily not the least of which is do to the brand trying to be something its sales data says it isn't.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:20 AM

498 posts, read 1,456,053 times
I don't think the difference is quality per se (though it is cheap because it's a Yaris, and Scions are budget-minded too), but the layout and overall "funkiness" is more in line with Scion models. Compare:

Scion xB

Toyota Yaris

As you can see they both have center gauges, which is quite unusual and serves no useful purpose. And there are other funky features as well that you just wouldn't see on a Corolla or Camry.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:34 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
I don't think the difference is quality per se (though it is cheap because it's a Yaris, and Scions are budget-minded too), but the layout and overall "funkiness" is more in line with Scion models. Compare:

Scion xB

Toyota Yaris

As you can see they both have center gauges, which is quite unusual and serves no useful purpose. And there are other funky features as well that you just wouldn't see on a Corolla or Camry.
They're similar because they are pretty much the same car underneath. The xA, xB and Yaris are all derivatives of the Japanese market Toyota Vitz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive