Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 11:28 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
SRT chargers/300c have anything that fits?

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
I remember checking it out a while ago. I think you could take one of those and someone you had to add in some kind of spacers to make it work. Just seemed like way more hassle than it is worth.

Not to mention I currently have different size tires on the front and back. Not sure how that would work out.

EDIT: Maybe I'll check it out again. Although I don't generally go on long trips so I'm not overly concerned.

Last edited by manderly6; 03-16-2012 at 11:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 11:42 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
I have a doughnut. Fix-a-flat doesn't do anything if your tire gets destroyed.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:21 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Yes I did....

It was missing.

Picked up a rim and a tire right off

Used it 2 weeks ago... Fix a flat wouldn't of worked, saved me on a Sunday from a long wait.

Some parts of the country... IF you can get cell service... You'll wait a LONG time for help...

Or you can help yourself

Old 03-17-2012, 04:19 AM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
Would not be much of a concern; our '02 VetteVert came spare-less, and we have managed to drive it for nearly 10 years without an air loss problem. The orig RFTs are long gone, replaced by non-RFTs. We rolled on a 13,000 mile, 2 month Road Trip this past summer with a plug kit & compressor, but I never gave it a 2nd thought.

I have driven my 3 scoots hundred thousand miles+, with no 'spare'...

When was the last time anyone had a flat, on the road, vs discovering a 'low tire' in the driveway?
That's what I thought...
GL, mD

Old 03-17-2012, 04:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
I thought it was a given that using fix a flat would render the tire useless and was only intended as an emergency measure to get the car to someplace where you could buy a new tire and perhaps a rim as this goop is gonna be a mess to clean off the rim as for cleaning the tire? forgetaboutit.
If one really wants a full size spare pay an extra $150 after paying $20K for the car and throw a full size rim and tire in the trunk, no room in the trunk? buy a bigger car..

Old 03-17-2012, 05:57 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Would not be much of a concern; our '02 VetteVert came spare-less, and we have managed to drive it for nearly 10 years without an air loss problem. The orig RFTs are long gone, replaced by non-RFTs. We rolled on a 13,000 mile, 2 month Road Trip this past summer with a plug kit & compressor, but I never gave it a 2nd thought.

I have driven my 3 scoots hundred thousand miles+, with no 'spare'...

When was the last time anyone had a flat, on the road, vs discovering a 'low tire' in the driveway?
That's what I thought...
GL, mD
A Corvette does have runflat tires. Not sire if a lot of these new spare less cars do or don't.

A thought I have, how safe is a spare anyways. I have a donuts which is already a little unstable, now throw in the tire is 12 years old.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:04 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Having a spare tire is no different than having a CC anti car jacking device. You hope you don't have to use it but it's nice knowing it's there.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:34 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,075,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I thought it was a given that using fix a flat would render the tire useless and was only intended as an emergency measure to get the car to someplace where you could buy a new tire and perhaps a rim as this goop is gonna be a mess to clean off the rim as for cleaning the tire? forgetaboutit.
Really? That is propaganda .. I have used "fix-a-flat" many times in the past 30 years or so and never had a problem with it ruining the tire or making a mess of the rim, it is great for nail/bolt holes and even though it is designed as a temporary fix it can be "permanent".

From my experience it does NOT dry into a glob in the rim, it basically turns into powder, it is only a few ounces of material, most of the can is "air".

Scrap a tire due to a small nail(which can be patched later) and use of "fix-a-flat" ? Must be nice to be able to waste $100+, Oh and the $200 rim is scrap too I guess.

I think most that tell those horror stories have never used it themselves and are parroting what they read/hear.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:48 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,027,479 times
My vette didn't come with one. But I also don't use run flats anymore. Most flats are from nails which a flat tire kit and compressor can fix. If it can't then that's what a wife is for. To bring me a spare.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:02 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
Fix-a-flat and or a plug are both temporary fixes.

You have put a patch on the inside of the tire for the best fix short of replacing the tire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive