Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:08 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,894,623 times

Advertisements

Good stuff. Thanks everyone.

Interesting a F-250 and 350 SRW 6.4 TD have same 5th wheel towing capacity. He really needs to step up to DRW it appears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 04:20 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Avoid any 6.0 and 6.4 Ford Powerstrokes. Period. The 2011-2012 6.7 appears to be a very good engine.

And I do wish people would understand what the nomenclature of what "4X4" means. The first number means number of wheels, the second is the number that are driven. A 2-wheel drive truck is thus a 4x2; a 4-wheel drive truck is a 4x4. If a vehicle has tandem rear axles that are powered, it is a 6x4; if the front wheels are powered as well, it is a 6x6. A 2x4 is a piece of lumber.
And I wish people would understand what the nomenclature of what period means.

. Period. is redundant.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:25 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
From the 06 to 09 avoid the diesel. Don't even think of the Ford diesel. I'd run with the V10. Granted with gas prices it will be spend. But cheaper than repair bills for a diesel and the $4.10/gallon for fuel.

As a Ford guy through and through. I also like the Dodge with the cummins.

DWR would be prefferable for the extra measure of stability. SWR is doable, albeit not a sure footed.
Later 6.0 Powerstrokes aren't all that bad and that V10 is going to cost more in repairs over the long run due to it's short life span vs the long life span of a diesel.

As for SWR RV DWR, I've seen people get away with a lot using SWR and it was some what scary to say the least. So I would strongly suggest a 1T DWR. I'm a fan of the old 7.3L but locating a good used one now days could prove challenging. So I would suggest a new 6.7 Ford or a Cummins...it's hard to go wrong with a Cummins.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:38 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
A co-worker bought a new Jayco 36KPTS. He's going to retire in another year and live in the trailer while seeing the family and traveling. Now he needs a 1 ton truck to pull it. He prefers Fords, but doesn't know exactly what to get. Doesn't want to get DRW (dually) if absolutely neccessary and wants an extended cab or crew cab, with a short bed. Probably will ge 4x4 if it's not much more expensive. But open to 4x2. Definitely wants a diesel.

Hoping for some good feedback he can start truck shopping with some knowledge. He's older and doesn't get on the Internet, so I'm helping him out.

Here are the specs of his 36' 5th wheel:

Weights Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs)12,175
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs)2,430
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs)15,950
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs)3,775

He will be buying used, somewhere between $20-30k.

Our initial research shows the 06-09 F-350 being a good truck.

Looks like a 2008 F-350 SRW 4X4 6.4 is rated at 15,200lbs for 5th wheel towing. Anything more than that will require going to DRW.

So my question....with the above trailer, would you go with a SRW F-350 or a DRW F-350? You think the SRW would be enough?

Definitely. Of course, the DRW will track better but it will not matter as to that load. There is plenty of capacity in the SRW 1 ton.

I think the inconvenience of DRW is only justified when the load is going, by necessity, to be poorly balanced. A well designed 5th wheel camper is going to track pretty well and not need the added stability of a DRW. I have had both and not have a DRW rig. But a Jayco camper is not like putting a broken Bobcat and 300 fence posts on a trailer. I would get the SWD and definitely the F350.

Diesel. Don't even think about the gasser. Anyone who has towed a lot will never buy a gasser for a load like that.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Diesel. Don't even think about the gasser. Anyone who has towed a lot will never buy a gasser for a load like that.
Yes sir, I couldn't even imagine trying to haul that with anything other than a diesel. Ford's V10 (2012) for example has 457 lb ft while their 6.7 diesel has almost double at 800 lb ft. The gas fuel economy has to be crap under that load as well..yes, the diesel will suffer as well but will fair better.

I just like the DWR for added stability.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:06 AM

2,023 posts, read 5,313,628 times
Gas engines in pickups are just fine. While they no longer build one as good as the fantastic heavy duty 460 Ford, their newer replacements like the v10 are quite good and don't require a turbo to make their power and last every bit as long as a diesel. Diesel engines are great in tractors, but you could not pay me enough to put up with one in any pickup. One advantage of a single rear wheel pickup over the dually is traction in mud or ice/snow.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:26 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
And I wish people would understand what the nomenclature of what period means.

. Period. is redundant.
" . Period." is for emphasis. Sort of like hitting somebody between the eyes with a 2x4 to get their attention. Not elegant, but it works.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:49 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
Gas engines in pickups are just fine. While they no longer build one as good as the fantastic heavy duty 460 Ford, their newer replacements like the v10 are quite good and don't require a turbo to make their power and last every bit as long as a diesel. Diesel engines are great in tractors, but you could not pay me enough to put up with one in any pickup. One advantage of a single rear wheel pickup over the dually is traction in mud or ice/snow.
For some and for some uses like just cruising the boulevards a gasser is fine but when it comes to towing the diesel is the best choice hands down. They will last longer, pull with less strain and get better fuel millage while doing it.

Your turbo argument is flawed.
Gas engines do not make as much torque and they don't make any at low rpm's which is needed to get the load moving even if you put a turbo on a gasser.

While you see folks towing 5ers with srw you want more truck than what may work. Don't strain a vehicle to do the job when you can get one that can easily do the job. For pulling a 5er with a high center of gravity and profile (wind buffering) a DRW with a diesel is the best choice.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
their newer replacements like the v10 are quite good and don't require a turbo to make their power and last every bit as long as a diesel.
Hum...are you sure? 200,000 is just breaking in a diesel while most gasoline engines are on their last leg. I've seen people get 300-400k with minor repairs and 500-600 with minor repairs plus trans and turbo. I know a guy who had 1,000,000 miles out of one. As for turbos, you make it sound like it's cheating or something evil. Turbochargers are a tool that helps get the job done and with ease.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
While you see folks towing 5ers with srw you want more truck than what may work. Don't strain a vehicle to do the job when you can get one that can easily do the job. For pulling a 5er with a high center of gravity and profile (wind buffering) a DRW with a diesel is the best choice.
Exactly, I like the added stability of the DWR vs a SWR. I also like having more truck than is needed for the job rather than pushing my luck hauling a load close to my max weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive