Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 11:09 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,894,623 times

Advertisements

Been changing oil on my cars for the lat 10 years. I'm done. Sick of the mess. Threw away my dirty oil holders and oil filter wrenches. My costs for 7 qt of Mobil 1 synthetic and filter was a little over $42 from WalMart. WalMart will change it for $65. Just too old and busy to keep doing it myself every 5 months. Oh, did I mention the mess? Oil dripping down when removing the filter. Oil dripping off the frame. Transfering the oil from the oil pan into the 5qt jug and transporting it to WalMart to dispose of the old oil.

That is all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 11:25 PM

380 posts, read 1,230,038 times
Well your saving money by DIY but... you seem to think it's a problem for taking it to wal mart and disposing of the oil. which is true it is messy doing it yourself but good luck to you. Ive changed my myself for 5 years now. I just rather do it myself. good luck

Old 04-01-2012, 12:51 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
I unfortunately believe there are more than a few "self oil changers" that never recycle the used oil and gleefully pour their used oil on land or water wherever they want to.

It's crazy to change your own oil and filter when you can get it done for 20-30 bucks and know the oil will be disposed of properly

Old 04-01-2012, 12:59 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
You think you're doing better by letting Wal mart change your oil for you, just wait until they cause damage to your engine, then you get the legal hassles that follow. Jiffy Lube isn't any better either.

Your best bet is to find a good mechanic to do the work. Sounds like the way you were doing it wasn't the best way to begin with. Most people have a catch pan that doubles as an oil tote. No point in trying to pour it into bottles.

Been changing my own oil for 17 years now. Saves me money plus I know it was done right.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:15 AM

483 posts, read 1,559,829 times
You can pay them for a synthetic OC but how do you know they're really using synthetic?

You can eliminate the potential for mess by spreading a large garbage bag or a flattened box under the car to catch small spills.

I've changed engine oil for 15+ years, on everything from Toyotas and Hondas, to a Lamborghini. Through dozens of oil changes, only a couple of times did oil drip onto the garage floor.

I've saved hundreds of dollars over the years (I saved $300 on the Lambo oil change alone); but most importantly I know the job was done right and with the proper fluids. Plus I like working on cars

Old 04-01-2012, 01:21 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,381,276 times
I would change my oil, and keep it in a few jugs, then If I do go to walmart, or an auto supply store, I will dispose it there. saves me a few trips here and there.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:34 AM

1,976 posts, read 6,862,089 times
I hear you, been doing it for 20+ years. 1st new car a year ago and decided to have the dealer do the 1st oil change just for warranty purposes. The car is a Honda, they were supposed to use Honda oil but the receipt says Pennzoil. They washed my car, but the driver carpet had mud stains on it. Then noticed oil stain on the garage floor. Everything was tight but they didn't even wipe all the drips off the chassis and engine bay. So screw the warranty, gonna do it myself and keep receipts.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:49 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
I gave up doing oil changes a while back my self. Work got crazy and rather spend the time changing the oil on 4 vehicles doing something else...generally sleeping in on days off lol Anyhow, I take our small fleet to a local oil change place which does a fantastic job. They even have bay windows where I can view everything including pouring each qt of Mobile one.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:30 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
You can pay them for a synthetic OC but how do you know they're really using synthetic?
Exactly! WalMart will most likely use SuperTech oil (which is probably fine), but I like to know exactly what is going into my engine. I always use 5w-30 during the colder months, and 10w-40 during the hottest months, but the oil change places here use 10w-30 year round.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:37 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,017,698 times
I would never ever ever let a place like jiffylube, Midas, Meineke etc....TOUCH MY CAR.... If I want something fixed it would go straight to the dealer. Grant it I am a technician at a dealership but I have worked at Midas and Jiffy Lube and there is a huge difference in the quality of the oil change. 9/10 They don't put the proper oil in the car nor do they care about the capacity of oil it takes. They geuss...They also don't change your drain plug gasket and they occasionaly strip out your drain plug which could possible distort the threads in your oil pan which would lead to oil pan replacement.

I'm not sure about other midas's but they STILL LIE TO THEIR CUSTOMERS. The one I worked at in Hartford was ran by a complete douche who happens to monitor several stores in the northeast area. So I'm assuming he's the same way with all his stores. They only sell you things on the car that make them money. They will gladly sell you struts but they won't tell you about your valve cover gasket leak if you have way too many problems with your car because their afraid you may sell your car instead of fix your problems one at a time.

They have much cheaper equipment as well.

9/10 they don't check your tire pressures or top off your fluids or check your air filter, your cabin air filter, or your battery, or many other important minor things...

They go straight for brakes and struts...

Its a shame people do not know the level of quality difference between the dealership and aftermarket place.

Either I'm working on the car or another tech at a dealership. Done and done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive