Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Subarus a Regional Vehicle
Yes 42 68.85%
No 19 31.15%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:22 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,535,531 times

Advertisements

Regional as in lesbians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 10:00 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamatom View Post
In the mountains of Colorado, an AWD subie with a low center of gravity is simply unrivaled by anyone except Audi.

And if you want to spend 60 grand on an admittedly good-looking but poorly-built, unreliable German car well...go nuts. Most who live in tough driving conditions prefer to spend half that and get an AWD system that may even be slightly better than Quattro.
Among our cars, we have both an Audi A4 and a Sube Legacy. There is a difference.

I don't want to get into a long comparo/debate ...in some ways it is apples and oranges and especially when we add which model/equipment etc...but for me the Audi (many years older and with a lot of miles on it) is still my preference in both extreme winter conditions and overall handling. It is also more comfortable, plush, etc.

I like the Sube for what it is, but it isn't an Audi. Our next new car may be another Audi. I will accept the higher price (NOT $60k if you buy a comparable to Sube model (A4)...maybe $60k for a loaded A6 or such but that is a car of another level), and risk/accept the higher maintenance and cost of ownership.

Uh, we will keep the Sube for a few more years too it is a fine car too.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:05 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Yes, Subies are regional. Any region that has roads coated with snow, ice, mud or loose dirt.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:12 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
they advertise on the radio a lot. the one i heard this morning is some lady talking about driving to garage sales and there was always a guy with a subaru who would get there before her. but now he better watch out because she has a subaru now. then she says "or maybe she should go into business together."

to me, its just very embarrassing to hear those commercials and want to get the car. what kind of person is that commercial supposed to appeal to?

Old 04-26-2012, 10:17 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
For a # of years they have offered AWD as standard on every vehicle. I'd have to guess that a good portion of the country wouldn't want the price and mileage penalty that comes with AWD.

However, it appears that Subaru will no longer offer AWD as standard on all vehicles. The 2013 BRZ is RWD only.
When i was in Outback Australia drove a 2wd Forester. You had to msnuallynput it in Awd mode. Wish they came ike that in thr US

Old 04-27-2012, 10:08 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Among our cars, we have both an Audi A4 and a Sube Legacy. There is a difference.

I don't want to get into a long comparo/debate ...in some ways it is apples and oranges and especially when we add which model/equipment etc...but for me the Audi (many years older and with a lot of miles on it) is still my preference in both extreme winter conditions and overall handling. It is also more comfortable, plush, etc.

I like the Sube for what it is, but it isn't an Audi. Our next new car may be another Audi. I will accept the higher price (NOT $60k if you buy a comparable to Sube model (A4)...maybe $60k for a loaded A6 or such but that is a car of another level), and risk/accept the higher maintenance and cost of ownership.

Uh, we will keep the Sube for a few more years too it is a fine car too.
The Audi A4 is also more expensive to purchase used and reliability for older cars is genrally not as good.
I'm sure it is a much more luxurious vehicle, though.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:07 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
I think the only Subies that make much sense where there is no snow (or for someone who drives on muddy roads a lot) is the WRX and such.

If someone does not drive on "traction-challenged" surfaces, ever since Subie went all AWD, it's just a heavier, thirstier, more expensive car with little to recommend it over various FWD and RWD cars out there, IMHO.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:10 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Supposed to fare well in crashes.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:01 AM

61 posts, read 103,688 times
I have a 2010 Outback and I live in western NC, we can get quite a bit of snow and it has been great. One thing no one has mentioned is beach driving. It is awesome for driving out on the beach (Outerbanks for example) where the sand is pretty soft.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:33 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
i heard a radio ad yesterday where a guy was saying he had all these older brothers and growing up he would always try to be different from them. so he would always choose the thing that nobody else chooses. he skateboarded when others play football, he ordered the pistacio when others ordered vanilla ice cream, etc. then he figures thats what led him to subaru.

how is this concept appealing? id like to include forester into my consideration for a new car, but amazingly these commercials are actually turning me off to the car. i dont want a car that says that im different in some way. i dont really like my car to say too much except "this person drives to work in a small suv."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru