Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Subarus a Regional Vehicle
Yes 42 68.85%
No 19 31.15%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 07:41 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times

Advertisements

I see them all over the Pacific Northwest, Rocky Mountains, and New England, and parts of the Great Lakes but much less in the rest of the US. Maybe the buying public continues to see them as vehicles that are mainly useful in snowy conditions, but not excited enough to buy them otherwise? I find them to be a great overall value and a good driver's car for the price, especially used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 07:48 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
For a # of years they have offered AWD as standard on every vehicle. I'd have to guess that a good portion of the country wouldn't want the price and mileage penalty that comes with AWD.

However, it appears that Subaru will no longer offer AWD as standard on all vehicles. The 2013 BRZ is RWD only.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:50 PM

297 posts, read 740,623 times
They're great utility cars, but when you are a car enthusiast, Subarus don't usually come to mind.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:02 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
For a # of years they have offered AWD as standard on every vehicle. I'd have to guess that a good portion of the country wouldn't want the price and mileage penalty that comes with AWD.

However, it appears that Subaru will no longer offer AWD as standard on all vehicles. The 2013 BRZ is RWD only.
The BRZ is also the exception, being a joint venture with Toyota. The only reason it is not offered with AWD is that there's not any physical room for it, according to Subaru.

As far as price goes though, you don't really pay much of a premium for the AWD system, they're, at least in my experience, competitive.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
They're great utility cars, but when you are a car enthusiast, Subarus don't usually come to mind.
Huh? What about the WRX, WRX STI, Legacy GT and Forester XT?

Round here the V8's are not the hot ticket due to 30%+ loss of power in the mountains.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:26 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
They're a good value, and not bad to drive. I like the Forester quite a bit. Although I'm not sold on the looks, I can really appreciate the sure footed qualities, practical exterior dimensions, gigantic sunroof, easy height to get in and out, and the utilitarian interior. (I have lived with a few of them for a couple weeks as rentals). Some Subaru models are still available with a manual transmission, which earns the entire brand plenty of points with me. Too few manuals anymore.

With respect to being regional, it kind of seems that way. When I think of Subaru, I think "daily driver" and "bad weather". I don't see a whole lot of them here in the valley (Phoenix area), although there are several dealers. There are plenty of them in the high country only a short distance to the north. Many of them in my neighborhood near Lake Michigan too.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:34 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
The BRZ is also the exception, being a joint venture with Toyota. The only reason it is not offered with AWD is that there's not any physical room for it, according to Subaru.

As far as price goes though, you don't really pay much of a premium for the AWD system, they're, at least in my experience, competitive.
And I sat in one and fired it up today, Just started at a dealership and we had one with mfg plates on it to promote a local event this weekend. Was pretty nice, the motor was insanely low mounted inside the engine bay, looks better in person then in pics - nice-ish interior but the one we had was not a production vehicle. Excellent stick feel, liked the wheel - but honestly even at the estimated 2,500 lbs, the N/A motor IMO is going to end up being a big detractor in terms of anemic strait line performance, least stock. And once you see the 'back seat' (lol), you might believe the no room for AWD.

As for regional, I'm in Toledo, OH (Great Lakes) and Subaru is definitely a car brand people respect and buy in this area.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:37 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
Don't see many out here in the Southwest but I think that's mainly due to the fact that their AWD systems aren't necessary in our climate. You just don't see many people driving Subaru's out here.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:42 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post

The new Subaru Impreza gets 37mpg highway so I don't think the mileage penalty is really applicable now.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:49 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
They're a good value, and not bad to drive. I like the Forester quite a bit. Although I'm not sold on the looks, I can really appreciate the sure footed qualities, practical exterior dimensions, gigantic sunroof, easy height to get in and out, and the utilitarian interior. (I have lived with a few of them for a couple weeks as rentals). Some Subaru models are still available with a manual transmission, which earns the entire brand plenty of points with me. Too few manuals anymore.

With respect to being regional, it kind of seems that way. When I think of Subaru, I think "daily driver" and "bad weather". I don't see a whole lot of them here in the valley (Phoenix area), although there are several dealers. There are plenty of them in the high country only a short distance to the north. Many of them in my neighborhood near Lake Michigan too.
I've always wondered why Phoenix seems to have so many Subaru dealers?! I hardly see them on the roads, they're almost exotic out here. I've always thought they were kind of ugly and mediocre unless you needed the AWD capabilities which one obviously doesn't in the Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru