Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:49 PM

106 posts, read 243,180 times

Advertisements

Hi, during an oild change, the mechanic told me that I need to change the following on my 2003 Civic with about 75,000 miles:

1) Rear Sway Bar Link Change

2) Lower Contral Arm Change

It totals about $1,000. My questions are:

1) How can I tell if they really need to be changed

2) What if I don't change them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 05:06 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,513,193 times
Generally they need to be changed because of excessive slop in the bushings that cause major alignment changes and unpredictable directional stability.. You can tell by raising the car and working them, usually with a big pry bar and looking for slop. The links are no surprise as at.. Many cars use cheap plastic/urethane links that expire quickly. The price does sound awfully high though, even with labor and an alignment, unless the control arm part is an astronomical price, which doesn't seem likely... Id try another independent mechanic for a second opinion, and the more you sound like you know what your talking about, the more likely you are to receive a more fair estimation..

Old 05-21-2012, 05:15 PM

My car drives fine. What if I don't change them?

Old 05-21-2012, 05:29 PM

929 posts, read 2,733,475 times
If they are causing a probblem you will get some warning; front tires wearing much faster than in the past, some noise in the front end, some play or movement in the steering wheel, or similar.
If you stopped into a tire shop for a cheap oil change, they usually try to sell you something and it is always something they can do there. Your local Honda Dealer probably offers a FREE inspection. Ask them to go over their findings with you. Bring a friend if possible to look with you as the tech goes over the car. Also ask the Sevice Manager to look with you. If they find anything, ask him or her if the parts really need replacing and what if you don't. Get a FREE estimate , then of coarse shop around. Once you get your lowest price, ask your favorite repair shop, or of the estimaters , who seemed the best. Start a relationship with your favorite. Take your Honda there 100% for everything. Loyality works 2 ways. If you like the dealer, DO NOT assume they are the most expensive. When working with any repair shops, ask for a discount, Especially dealers. Dealers are hurting for customer pay work. As warranty decreases so has their service income. BUT make them, or anyone earn your business.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:48 PM

31,306 posts, read 22,303,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDay1 View Post
My car drives fine. What if I don't change them?
You car drives fine and your tires are wearing normally? Get a second or third opinion! 73k on a Civic should be nothing.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:07 PM

True... But almost 10 years old wear can still happen, esp bushings etc... Of course the oil change shop COULD be fulk of BS, but maybe not. Also "my car drives fine" is a HUGE window for the generally driving public.. half the people on the road today think "everythings fine" with tires being 20 psi apart, or an alignment many degrees off on one wheel, all the while being totally oblivious to it, and they THINK they are a good driver. Thats just how bad of drivers the majority of Americans are, sad to say...

Old 05-21-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
You car drives fine and your tires are wearing normally? Get a second or third opinion! 73k on a Civic should be nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider7811 View Post
If they are causing a probblem you will get some warning; front tires wearing much faster than in the past, some noise in the front end, some play or movement in the steering wheel, or similar.
If you stopped into a tire shop for a cheap oil change, they usually try to sell you something and it is always something they can do there. Your local Honda Dealer probably offers a FREE inspection. Ask them to go over their findings with you. Bring a friend if possible to look with you as the tech goes over the car. Also ask the Sevice Manager to look with you. If they find anything, ask him or her if the parts really need replacing and what if you don't. Get a FREE estimate , then of coarse shop around. Once you get your lowest price, ask your favorite repair shop, or of the estimaters , who seemed the best. Start a relationship with your favorite. Take your Honda there 100% for everything. Loyality works 2 ways. If you like the dealer, DO NOT assume they are the most expensive. When working with any repair shops, ask for a discount, Especially dealers. Dealers are hurting for customer pay work. As warranty decreases so has their service income. BUT make them, or anyone earn your business.
+1 as well.....

Old 05-21-2012, 06:44 PM

Are Rear Sway Bar Links and Lower Control Arm items that commonly need to be changed when the car has less than 80,000 miles?

Old 05-21-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDay1 View Post
Are Rear Sway Bar Links and Lower Control Arm items that commonly need to be changed when the car has less than 80,000 miles?
Thats kinda been answered by the above responses.. I mean, not exactly common, but also not exactly UNcommon either for a 10 year old car... Climate, use, maintenance all have an affect...Hows that?? clear as mud?? lol..

Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Climate, use, maintenance all have an affect...Hows that?? clear as mud?? lol..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive