Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 02:35 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times

Advertisements

Two things people lie about:

Gas mileage

Sex life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 09:23 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times
the best deal I could find on a credit card for gas is the PenFed card. 5% on gas at any station as long as you pay at the pump. PenFed is the Pentagon Federal Credit Union. If you are military or ex-military, membership is free. If not, a $20 donation to a veterans charity works. penfed.org

Old 04-22-2013, 12:04 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I only go to Costco in the morning when it opens or right after because that place gets nuts fast.
There is ALWAYS a line at the pump.

No, thanks. 20 minutes is worth more than a buck or two to me.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:07 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post

Gas mileage

Sex life
What about passing gas during sex?

Old 04-22-2013, 05:59 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post

Gas mileage

Sex life
Actually, there is a third one, namely how long it takes someone to travel from point A to point B.
If you are like me, you have probably known people who swear that it only takes them 20 minutes to drive to a place that actually takes 45 minutes to 1 hour, under optimum circumstances.

The most ridiculous example of this type of lying was displayed by a friend of my parents, many years ago. He got a new job, with a commute that would take most people well over 45 minutes, even with using the most direct route, and by driving as fast as possible.

However, this guy was a major cheapskate who refused to use the toll roads that were the most direct route to work. As a result, he had to drive North and then West for about 20 miles on local roads with traffic lights, before he could begin driving South toward his new job. The extra mileage for this indirect route added at least 18 miles to his trip. And, then if you factor in that this guy was a really slow driver who never went above 45 miles an hour, it became even more obvious that there was no possible way for him to drive 40 miles or so (during commuting hours) in 20 minutes. His claim was so ridiculous that it was really laughable.

Since this cheapskate drove a Rambler, it would have been interesting if we had asked about his gas mileage. More than likely, he would have claimed 50 mpg.

As to his sex life...I DON'T want to know!

Old 05-05-2013, 02:19 AM

6 posts, read 12,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
You wasted a lot of time and calculations for nothing, as there is absolutely no difference in mileage with Costco gas than any other. All stations get their gas from the same supplier, no matter what brand it says on the pump, so your imagination is running wild....
Stations get their fuel from the supplier who has fuel that day...
And unfortunately for you, you wasted YOUR time attempting to tell me that my own experience and data-collection are outweighed by your...what? Your omniscience? or YOUR imagination? Sorry - but your opinion doesn't override my experience and it's more than fatuous of you to try to say so.

You seem to be completely unaware of the fact that while regional suppliers DO market to all retailers in an area, there are additives - and in most cases, PROPRIETARY ones utilized as aftermarket additions by retailers. Which THEN create major differences in the gas sold at the pump, even when retailers have all purchased from a common supplier. This is from Costco's own website: Gasoline Clean Power We add "Kirkland Signature Clean Power detergent additive to the fuel at all our gas stations." It's a proprietary additive. And according to Costco, it has "five times the EPA detergent requirement." And guess what? All retailers add their OWN additives, which alter the fuel they may have bought from the same supplier. But - you're STILL trying to tell me that ALL stations' gas is the same? And that Shell or Texaco or Exxon from the same supplier has the identical aftermarket additives as Costco?

It's bizarre that in you attempt to somehow tell me that I have no idea what my record-keeping has revealed to be fact. Your own experience doesn't need to match mine; I very well realize yours may be nothing like mine. But you needn't try to argue against what my own experience over many years has proven to be factual - FOR ME.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:25 AM

6 posts, read 12,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I don't doubt what you say, but--by the same token--you shouldn't doubt what I say when I tell you that my gas mileage is so consistent that sometimes I think the readout on the instrument panel is stuck.

No matter what brand of gas I buy (usually Costco, Hess, or Shell, and occasionally Exxon), my usual mix of suburban/highway driving yields 22-23 mpg in the winter, and 23-25 mpg in warmer weather. Long highway drives enable me to get 27-29 mpg, year around. These results are consistent, no matter what brand of gas I use.

I DON'T doubt what you say. Nor did I say I did. I posted the results of my own experience and record-keeping, and it goes without saying that "your own mileage may vary." I'm not alone in noticing a decrease in mileage when using Costco gas, as other posters in this thread have also written.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:19 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroLM View Post
I'm not alone in noticing a decrease in mileage when using Costco gas, as other posters in this thread have also written.

...and I'm not alone in finding the exact same gas mileage (under the same circumstances) with all brands of gas!

Old 05-05-2013, 06:01 AM

880 posts, read 2,025,295 times
I have a Costco card store is 4 miles away gas is 30 miles away at another Costco.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:03 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,952 times
For 3 of our cars - it doesn't change where I fill so I fill at costco. And I do it precisely for 3 tanks and try to do it in same temperatures and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive