Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 9,198 times

Advertisements

I am planning to get one out of state( From NC ). Can someone verify the below order and correctness ?

1. Contact seller and buy the car (Sales receipt) - seller state
2. Get the new insurance with the sales receipt - home state
3. drive to home state
4. transfer title and pay sales tax - home state
5. register your car with the title/sales tax papers - home state

Is that correct ?? i have to register after the title transfer, right ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 02:15 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,027 posts, read 6,545,870 times
We have three state addresses. NJ, SC and FL. We are officially FL residents. Our 2010 GMC Terrain has an FL registration and plate. We did have a Pontiac sitting in NJ with SC plates. I decided to trade the Pontiac in for a 2013 Malibu. To keep everything simple (and to take advantage of two car insurance rates) I wanted to register the new car, which was purchased in NJ, in Florida. The dealer said "No problem. We do that all the time." OK, works for me.

Well our temp NJ paper plate and temp registration expired a week ago. It has been almost a month since we purchased the new car. The dealer claims they have no idea when Florida will send the registration and plate. Should I be pissed or just feel stupid??

Old 09-12-2015, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,582 times
What about inspection stickers from buying a car out of state. Do the car dealership give you stickers or do you get new inspection stickers in your state. The reason im asking is because i got pulled over by a cop because i didnt have any inspections stickers in my front window. I could have sworn i did but they wasnt there when the cop pulled me over.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:39 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mona19153 View Post
What about inspection stickers from buying a car out of state. Do the car dealership give you stickers or do you get new inspection stickers in your state. The reason im asking is because i got pulled over by a cop because i didnt have any inspections stickers in my front window. I could have sworn i did but they wasnt there when the cop pulled me over.
Not all states require inspections, so if you buy a car from a state that doesn't it's unlikely that the dealer will provide an inspection and a sticker.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:30 AM

35 posts, read 62,176 times
quick question, I know this is an old thread but I've seen recent responses.

I am a FL resident, FL DL and FL license plates, temporarily(45 days +-) living in NC. I have to return my lease in FL on Nov 1st, so I will be driving down to FL at the end of the month. I will get back my FL plates from the dealership that same day.
After I return my lease, I will be purchasing a car from a friend in St Louis, MO and driving it back to NC.
I was hoping to register my new/used car in FL since it's my home state and use my old FL plates but I wont be returning to FL in the next 30 days.

How do I get out of MO to NC? I think I heard that I would need to purchase a temporary plate from MO.

What should I do? Any advice is much appreciated.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:44 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,387,704 times
50 states, 51 sets of regulations. Best bet is to talk to the folks at the DMV in both states.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,084 times
So, you don't pay the sales tax in the state where you are purchasing the car, only in the state where you are registering it?

Old 09-09-2016, 04:19 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmaugust1 View Post
So, you don't pay the sales tax in the state where you are purchasing the car, only in the state where you are registering it?
Well, maybe...
But not always!
I live in Montana. We have no sales or use tax.
However, if I go to CA and buy a vehicle from a DEALER, I will have to pay CA sales tax and register the vehicle in CA. When I get home, I will transfer the title, get the Montana registration and license plates, throw the CA plates away, and be done with it. It is entirely likely I will get a letter from CA DMV in a year or so, threatening all kinds of legal action if I don't immediately renew the expired CA registration (they don't know it was transferred to Montana!). I can either ignore them, or send them a copy of the MT registration. Yes, I did have that happen!
Private party sales of a CA vehicle are entirely different. The seller hands you the paperwork, you take it home and do the title transfer and new registration, and it is done. I have done that, too.
As somebody already said, 50 states, 51 sets of rules! That may not literally be true, but it is close!

Old 09-09-2016, 10:20 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmaugust1 View Post
It varies by state. There are a few states that will charge sales tax regardless of your intention to immediately register it in your home state. In that case, the state in which you register the car could (but most don't) allow credit for the tax that you paid.

Here in Georgia, we no longer have 'sales tax' on cars. It was replaced in March 2013 by the new 'Title Ad Valorem Tax' (commonly known as TAVT). The TAVT is currently 7%, which is the average sales tax rate in most counties, and it applies to every car registered here. Even if you bought it last week and paid full sales tax in an adjacent state, you would still be required to pay 7% TAVT within 30 days of bringing it into the state! But the TAVT is not charged if you intend to register the car in another state within 30 days.

It's very important to understand the tax laws in BOTH states (purchasing and registering) before you buy a car from another state.

The OP asked about insurance. As a licensed insurance agent, the best advice I can give to anyone purchasing a vehicle (new or used, in-state or out-of-state) is to inform your insurance company immediately prior to the purchase! A lot of people don't realize how much more expensive it is to insure one car vs. another. So you'll know prior to buying what to expect in terms of insurance premiums.

If you don't inform your insurer at (or just prior) to the purchase, most policies allow a period ranging from 7-days to 60-days (varies by state) to report the new vehicle. If you have a claim after purchasing but before reporting the new car, the insurer will pay if it is in the allowed period. But they will also charge you back to the purchase date for coverage and it is fairly common for many insurers to non-renew (drop) you after this happens. If you are purchasing a new car and your prior car doesn't have Comprehensive and/or Collision coverage, the new one won't either until you call to notify the insurance company.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:14 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Well, maybe...
But not always!
I live in Montana. We have no sales or use tax.
However, if I go to CA and buy a vehicle from a DEALER, I will have to pay CA sales tax and register the vehicle in CA. When I get home, I will transfer the title, get the Montana registration and license plates, throw the CA plates away, and be done with it. It is entirely likely I will get a letter from CA DMV in a year or so, threatening all kinds of legal action if I don't immediately renew the expired CA registration (they don't know it was transferred to Montana!). I can either ignore them, or send them a copy of the MT registration. Yes, I did have that happen!
Private party sales of a CA vehicle are entirely different. The seller hands you the paperwork, you take it home and do the title transfer and new registration, and it is done. I have done that, too.
As somebody already said, 50 states, 51 sets of rules! That may not literally be true, but it is close!
Actually you don't have to register it in CA. But if you drive it off the lot in CA, legally the dealership has to collect sales tax on it. Truck it out or take delivery in MT, no sales sales tax.

It's the same thing here in MA. Lots of NH folks buy cars in MA for whatever reason. If they take possession in MA, they have to pay the sales tax. If they take delivery in NH, the dealer should provide a notarized letter stating such in case the buyer ever moves back to MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive