Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 05:57 PM

430 posts, read 1,192,675 times

Advertisements

I've just finished watching this video, were two high power car (Domestic vs Import) drag raced each other. The corvette seems finish first but has a lower E.T. The honda civic team are chearing their tales off?
I don't understand this.

Chris Miller NRG tech World cup finals vs corvette - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 06:10 PM

3,925 posts, read 6,839,150 times
vette won by .04 seconds. How did you not notice that?

Old 06-20-2012, 06:45 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
Both are quite impressive.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:52 PM

430 posts, read 1,192,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I noticed that part, it's just that the on the final race the vette is clearly in the lead, and finishes first, then loses? The NRG (honda civic team) are chearing in a win for what? I think there had to be an error.
The dude with the trophy say's his time was 8.54 and he was the winner.
How is this possible when the corvette ran a 8.50.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:09 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post
I noticed that part, it's just that the on the final race the vette is clearly in the lead, and finishes first, then loses? The NRG (honda civic team) are chearing in a win for what? I think there had to be an error.
Maybe its bracket racing, and the vette broke out of his bracket. That or the vette red lighted, after the lights went green, the yellow lit up on the vettes side.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
it looks like the honda may have driven around the vette at the top end. in drag racing et's are less important than getting to the finish line first. the vette had a hole shot, and fair lead at half track. in fact a large enough lead that the honda had to drive by on the big end to get the 8.54. i wish the camera had both scoreboards in the picture at the same time because the winners board lights up first.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post
It's not who has the lower ET that matters, it's who crosses the line first. You can have a lower ET but still get beat because your competitor had a better reaction time at the lights. In drag-racing lingo this is referred to as a "hole shot." The "win" lights light up on the Civic's timing board, presumably giving him the win by hole-shot. The winner even references this fact at 1:21.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Maybe its bracket racing, and the vette broke out of his bracket. That or the vette red lighted, after the lights went green, the yellow lit up on the vettes side.
Nope, it's a clean launch -- check out the tree starting at :24 or 1:03.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
it looks like the honda may have driven around the vette at the top end.
That's exactly what happened. One can only imagine how much lag there is on a turbo large enough to send a 4-cylinder Civic down the strip in 8.XX seconds before it comes into full boost. If there's any doubt, the trap speeds tell the tale of how the Civic snuck across the line first despite the appearance of being outmatched throughout most of the race.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:11 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That's exactly what happened. One can only imagine how much lag there is on a turbo large enough to send a 4-cylinder Civic down the strip in 8.XX seconds before it comes into full boost. If there's any doubt, the trap speeds tell the tale of how the Civic snuck across the line first despite the appearance of being outmatched throughout most of the race.
from the boosted Honda's ive known of or been in (10 sec cars), it's not just getting their big turbos to get on boost but their motors to hit 'vtec'. That's why in most cases those cars are a waste at 1/8 mile tracks. Much like this video shows, there can be 2 ways to get down the track in equal times... both are fun but both can feel way different from the other when you're in the seat. And i'll give props to both rides.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:25 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
from the boosted Honda's ive known of or been in (10 sec cars), it's not just getting their big turbos to get on boost but their motors to hit 'vtec'. That's why in most cases those cars are a waste at 1/8 mile tracks. Much like this video shows, there can be 2 ways to get down the track in equal times... both are fun but both can feel way different from the other when you're in the seat. And i'll give props to both rides.
Gotta disagree on the VTEC part, as it's no different than getting up on cam in any big cammed car. In drag racing, you should never be off the cam even at launch, if you're doing it right, as you lauch in the meat of the powerband, and each shift only takes you back to the center of that powerband. The VTEC cam lobes are no different than a regular high performance cam for a non-VTEC engine. In fact, due to the way VTEC works a VTEC car would have better low end power than a car that is just running a normal single high lift cam.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:45 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Gotta disagree on the VTEC part, as it's no different than getting up on cam in any big cammed car. In drag racing, you should never be off the cam even at launch, if you're doing it right, as you lauch in the meat of the powerband, and each shift only takes you back to the center of that powerband. The VTEC cam lobes are no different than a regular high performance cam for a non-VTEC engine. In fact, due to the way VTEC works a VTEC car would have better low end power than a car that is just running a normal single high lift cam.
understood. guess i'm just basing it on the older v8's ive been in some years ago that came on cam somewhat higher in the R's but nowhere near the range the Hondas run at. There's such a different feel in the seat, from a big block camaro i spent time in (10.7) that pulled hard off the line from 3-5000 (though was an AT that had a 3500 stall converter) and my son in law's boosted s2000 (similar times) that launches best in the mid 3's but while in boost doesnt hit that vtec until well into the 6's. Even our stock s2k doesnt really kick until 6500+ but then hits redline quickly. So as my experiences were more street based and as it's unfair to compare 2 totally different setups, your point is well taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive