Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 05:17 PM

674 posts, read 2,553,287 times

Advertisements

97 Dodge Neon. Went from averaging about 32 MPG for well over a year to 22 MPG during the past 1.5 months. Tire pressures are normal and there is no check engine light, because of that I think the O2 sensor can be ruled as a possible reason but I'm not sure. IDK much about cars so I'm thinking it's something I need to take to a shop to diagnose but maybe there's something else I can check myself. So my question is, what can cause such a steep decline in MPGs?

(I highly doubt someone is siphoning my fuel)

A few things to consider:

I buy gas mostly from Shell stations and sometimes Chevrons. Different sides of town.

It first starting happening after I let my brother-in-law borrow it for about 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 06:34 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Well, probably this is related to your knucklehead brother in law abusing the car.
Could be the idiot ran it so hard it burnt a valve or cracked a ring?

If the car has not been tuned recently, at least plugs, and fuel filter can be changed.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:35 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,710 times
it may very well be the O2 sensor. sometimes you dont get a code, when you probably should. that is the first thing i'd check. at least make sure that the wire or wires are intact.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:22 AM

859 posts, read 2,829,121 times
Take it to a shop that has emission testing equipment. Sounds like the 02 is junk or you have a bad injector. Both of these will show up in and exhaust sniff test as the car will be running extremely rich.

A few basic things you can do yourself is..

Clean or replace the air filter
Clean the throttle body
Check the tire pressure
Run a fuel cleaner. Only one I ever recommend is Seafoam. You can use it to clean the T-Body then dump the rest in the tank... DO NOT suck it into the manifold. You said you're not a car guy so don't try this. Also DO NOT dump it in the oil.

Check to see if the brakes are dragging.. Get up to speed and put the car in neutral and let it roll. Does it stop too quickly? Is he parking brake up? I've seen this a thousand times so don't laugh.

Bad gas from one station. Go to a different station and fill up.

Is there a ton of crap in the car??? Clean it out...

I can't remember if the 97's had mass air or not and i'm too lazy to go look. If they do clean the mass air meter as well.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:50 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,710 times
Christ, dude. you had a sudden and steep decrease in fuel economy. before you DO or CHECK anything else, check out your O2 sensor(s).

Old 09-13-2011, 09:11 AM

120 posts, read 671,822 times
maybe someone can correct or confirm, but I've heard that o2 sensors performance degrades over time. Maybe your o2 sensor just hasn't tripped a code yet.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:16 AM

773 posts, read 2,631,630 times
Another thing the OP could do, if he has access to an inexpensive scan tool, is check whether the engine is running open loop, and also check the long term fuel trim. These are good indicators of O2 sensor problems.

A cheap scanner would also give information on the O2 output voltage waveform such as max, avg, and min voltages, time between threshold crossings, rate of voltage rise/fall, avg freq of voltage waveform, etc; all of which are useful if one has the OEM O2 sensor specs or comparison data from a new or known good sensor. Some inexpensive scanners show the output voltage waveform as well.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:34 PM

My brother in law doesn't abuse cars anymore. I think he may have refueled at a cheap gas station but who knows.

Tire pressures are fine, air filter is fine (it doesn't affect MPGs I'm told), I ran a fuel system cleaner, and the brakes are fine. IDK anything about throttle bodies and I only have basic tools so no scanners.

Looks like I'll have to take it to a shop, I just have to find the time. :/

Thanks everyone.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:14 PM

The shop recommended a major tune up which included the replacement of ignition wires and spark plugs. I'll see what the results are in a few days....

Old 09-22-2011, 12:21 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
The shop recommended a major tune up which included the replacement of ignition wires and spark plugs. I'll see what the results are in a few days....

Major tune up? That is all you can change on that car anyway. Thats a minor tune up. Plugs and wires is an hour job tops and minimal in parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive