Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:08 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,651,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Cops stopped my brother for speeding and my brother said he was just going with the flow. cop said "son do you ever go fishing"? brother said "yes" Cop said "did you catch all of the fish".nuff said
Yea, but I never get to pick the fish I catch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 08:16 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
It wont be long until a car where the driver is using the cell phone/texting will be caught on radar and people will be given tickets..When you are using the phone YOU ARE transmitting a signal and all cops have to do is zero in on the car...easy to do

Old 07-24-2012, 08:25 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
It wont be long until a car where the driver is using the cell phone/texting will be caught on radar and people will be given tickets..When you are using the phone YOU ARE transmitting a signal and all cops have to do is zero in on the car...easy to do
Not so important with so many people using hands free devices and bluetooth equipped vehicles. I use the bluetooth call function legally all the time and my phone is still transmitting a cell signal.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:01 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
I was driving in the slow lane on the I10 freeway going east (just past the calimesa exit) & i saw a white CHP car with his radar gun pointed in my direction. I was only going 60 mph but the other cars were easiy going 70+ (speed limit is 65). I dont exceed the speed limit cause i dont want a hefty ticket & my car gets better mpg going 60 or 65 then going 70+.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:26 PM

40 posts, read 57,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-a-thin View Post

Ex. When I was in Albuquerque, I saw an operation on a highway where they honestly had 1 car taking radar, then like a 1/2 mile or so down the road they had 8 Mustang interceptors just waiting, lol.

That's why you use a CB radio.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:27 PM

40 posts, read 57,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
as a policeman once told me "you cant outrun a radio".

Tell the cops their radar/laser cannot outrun a CB radio. It works both ways.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:10 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Glad I don't speed. (Can't afford the increased insurance rates. The fines are getting up there too, but the insurance increase is a many year penalty.)
You need to change insurance companies. In 40 years of driving, I've never once had my insurance rates increased due to a speeding ticket. (And I've received plenty!) They've only gone up due to chargeable accidents.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:17 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I drove over a hill in California and there was a cop with a radar gun and radio. Further up there were 20 cop cars waiting! They pulled over EVERY car that was speeding. ($$ for state.)

Glad I don't speed. (Can't afford the increased insurance rates. The fines are getting up there too, but the insurance increase is a many year penalty.)

Also how much time do you actually save? In many cases it is just a minute or two. Leave a minute early...
That kind of crap is infuriating. I saw this same type of operation here locally this week. Nightime, one car on the shoulder of the freeway in the break between the highway divider. 1/2 mile later 5 cop cars had people pulled over in random spots. If they are all going with the flow, I see no reason to pull them over. And while I'm sure 20 cop cars waiting is an exaggeration, still for there to be more than one cop doing this is a waste of taxpayer resources. Why can't they solve some real crime ffs, such as corruption among the boys in blue. Traffic cops are among the lowest forms of life that crawl on the surface of this planet.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:16 AM

774 posts, read 2,602,482 times
There's an old saying when running from bulls, bears whatever and I find it to be mostly true exceeding the limit on the hwy.

You don't have to the fastest guy. You just have to be faster than the guy behind you.

I typically like to be in the middle of the pack with a few cars behind me. 99.999999999999999999999% of the time cops will pull over one car. Today it's too dangerous for them to stop more than one car at a time as they can't properly control the scene.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:08 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
There's an old saying when running from bulls, bears whatever and I find it to be mostly true exceeding the limit on the hwy.

You don't have to the fastest guy. You just have to be faster than the guy behind you.

I typically like to be in the middle of the pack with a few cars behind me. 99.999999999999999999999% of the time cops will pull over one car. Today it's too dangerous for them to stop more than one car at a time as they can't properly control the scene.
Control freaks, eh? Typical. And usually when a "group of speeders" is traveling together in convoy formation, they're not actually speeding, they're driving at an appropriate velocity on a road with an inappropriate speed limit so that they can freely generate you-know-what on the backs of the citizens that fund their livelihoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive