Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 07:44 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

I recently had an intersting encounter with a police officer, so I though I would relate what happened and see if Y'all have other unusual encounters with policemen (good or bad) to relate.

Earlier this week I was driving home and went to get gas. I saw a gas station on the right and pulled into the right hand lane. Then I realised that the lane was right turn only and I did nto want ot turn right, so I swerved back to the center lane. When I pulled into the gas station, a car pulled in right behind me and flipped on his lights. I thought that I was being pulled over for changing lanes without signalling.

I turned off my car and got out (much embarrassed to have a police car with lights flashing behind me at the only gas station in our small community). THe policeman told me that I had a headlight out and that was why he pulled me over. Relived that it would only be a fix it ticket by still annoyed at the hassle, I simply grimaced and said "Ohhh." The policeman asked my to turn on my lights so I did. He walked to the front of my car and said "Sometimes you just tap on them and the come back on." He tapped on the light that was out a couple of times and then said "There, it worked, a lot of people do not even realize that they have a headlight out and all they need to do is tap on it. Have a nice day" Off he went.

To me that was amazing. In my expereience, most cops would have simply written a ticket and looked for anything else that they could harrass or ticket me for at the same time. I have yet to encounter a policeman who would pull you over for something wrong with your car and then repair it for you. He never said anyhting about my swerving between lanes and he must have been right behind me at the time.

Unfortunately, I realized to late that I should have asked him if he could also tap on my heater since that was not working either. Then I could bring him home to tap on my pickup which apparently has a siezed up engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 08:05 AM

347 posts, read 1,357,579 times
I once changed lanes and cut off a cop car!!

I was stopped, he asked for my license and registration, looked at them, gave them back to me and left!! No ticket, nothing at all!!

Old 02-13-2009, 08:28 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,091 times
just checking you to see if something else was up, that's my guess

Old 02-13-2009, 08:35 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,266,248 times
If he was behind you how would he have known your headlight was out?

Old 02-13-2009, 08:39 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
I once ran a red light and nearly t-boned a patrol car. I got pulled over and once I explained myself, he let me off with a warning. He was cool.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:50 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
I once had a State Trooper T-Bone my car....I was sitting in a turning lane, waiting to make a right hand turn, he got an emergency call coming out of a hospital parking lot...had to pull across 3 lanes of traffic and for whatever reason did not see me.( hmmm ...bright red car)He had turned on his lights and BAM..... Thankfully, the front passenger tire took the force of the hit, because, my then 12 yr old son was sitting in the passenger seat. Troopers airbags deployed and he got burnt from the chemicals. We were pretty shaken, but basically ok. He couldn't have been nicer....His first words after checking to see if we were all right were...At least, you know I have Ins.! Because it was a Trooper, we had all kinds of police cars showing up...Sheriffs, Constables, and City Police. Then it starts to rain...so they put my son and I in the back of the cruiser so we wouldn't get wet...my son starts singing the theme from "Cops"..."Bad Boys, Bad Boys......
State paid for rental car for almost a month, and all our out of pocket expenses...We decided if I had to get hit by someone, this was the best possible scenario!

Old 02-13-2009, 08:56 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I never understand why people think the cops are harrassing them when they give a ticket ofr a violations;that is their job. grom watch TV it seems they get harrasssed more for going it;so I gu8ess they think jus6t giving it out with as little convwersation as possible is best. With what tyhey deal with i am sure they thnik a ticket is boring.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:18 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
I would guess he was testing your sobriety or any number of things when he stopped you. Some still are enforcing laws and serving the public and not just tax collectors.

No they don't always write tickets. Even when they pull you over it's to check for other things like weapons or drugs. A ticket is just incidental.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:56 AM

733 posts, read 1,928,018 times
nice to see that not all people believe cops are out to get them. They really aren't.....

Old 02-13-2009, 12:38 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
There are some things that i consider harrassment. A ticket for driving left of center while dodging a pothole on a dirt road (where is the center anyway?). A ticket for going 5 miles over the speed limit.

One time the police came to our house and towed our car out of our driveway when we were home. They claimed that they impounded it as part of a "criminal investigation" They also tore everything up inside searching it. The "crime"? My mother in law bumped a car when leaving the sav on parking lot and did not realize it and drove off. ("Hit and Run") There was no damage to the other car. It took us three hours and $75.00 to get our car back. When I asked why they did not just ring the doorbell, or call us they said "Oh we could have done that, but we decided to impound the car as evidence instead."

That is harrassment. Maybe they were just really really bored. We do nto have a lot of crimes for them to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive