Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 06:34 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,887,906 times

Advertisements

3000 miles for me too. Clean oil in, clean oil out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 07:26 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,718,731 times
Jeep says 8000mi for my Grand Cherokee, that's what I'm doing. I have a pretty good mix of city/highway driving since it's my commuter, and it road trips fairly often. When I took it in for the first change, they put their 3000mi sticker on the windshield, which promptly got ignored. It'll go back in another 8000mi.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:04 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,799,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Jeep says 8000mi for my Grand Cherokee, that's what I'm doing. I have a pretty good mix of city/highway driving since it's my commuter, and it road trips fairly often. When I took it in for the first change, they put their 3000mi sticker on the windshield, which promptly got ignored. It'll go back in another 8000mi.
Guys. You have to admit that both engines and oils got much better in the past 20 years. Car companies routinely fill new cars with synthetic and even fossil oil benefits from synthetic additives. This all adds up to increased oil change intervals. Following fossil oil change intervals when using synthetic defeats the purpose of using synthetic in the first place.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:20 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,622,646 times
longer life is only 1 benefit to synthetic oil

using a dino interval does not defeat the purpose entirely, only regarding OCI.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:12 PM

458 posts, read 1,249,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I even notice around 2,000 miles of an oil change, the oil is already pretty dark, so I can't imagine waiting 7,500 miles or more.
Dude the oil will get dark whether its dirty or not. Color gives almost no indication of the condition of the oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619
Even if the maintenance manual says to change your oil every 7,5000 or 10,000 miles, that is just ridiculous. I wont do it, it's almost like the company wants you to wear out your engine faster by waiting so long to change your oil. Do they mention driving conditions? Or if you live in urban setting with a lot of air pollution? Live in a major city with heavy traffic? I mean all these factors come into play when it comes to determining if you need to change your oil more frequently or not. But to go by an "All in one" basic approach for an oil change, isn't a good idea.
My GTI needs synthetic every 10k miles. I plan to follow that because I drive mostly highway with little stop and go or city driving. Recommended maintenance schedules are for typical driving conditions. Obviously if you have "heavier" conditions your maintenance schedule may vary.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:57 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,799,628 times
[Dup]

Old 09-05-2012, 11:26 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,740,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
In regards to the 3000 mile OCI, most engines are now lean burn and just don't make the acids/particulate of the old engines. We no longer have carbs so using a much heavier oil is no longer necessary to compensate for the fuel dilution when towing. That's for most engines. But you probably would want to know that the same does not apply for direct injected engines. GM replaced quite a few of their 3.6 direct injected engines before they reprogrammed their OLM for much shorter OCIs. We've seen Ecoboost oil reports that the oil is pretty much had it at 3000 miles. If you have a conventional engine, read and understand the owners manual. If you have one of the newer direct injected engines, I'd spend the money for an oil analysis. The 25 bucks will be money well spent.

Only a completely clueless moron would make this statement. Just what does moron think happens to the oil that is drained out? It's recycled via either Chevron ISO/SYN or M/Es Raffinate process. Either way it comes back to you as a GpII+ or a GPIII base oil. It's not thrown out on the ground nor is it pumped into the oceans. Every time you buy that high dollar synthetic oil, you need to know that some of it is most likely recycled oil. But before anybody gets ticked over it, recycled oil has already been thru one shear cycle. It's already sheared about as much as it's going to. This makes for a very stable base oil.
You obviously don't live in a rural area of the country. Lots of bumpkins dump their old oil anywhere. Do you think they are going to put it in containers and drive into town to recycle? Dream on.

And do you think all stations recycle oil. Not in my town:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...its_putti.html

"Employees at the Heartland-owned Jiffy Lube at 8509 Burnet Road illegally discharged oil and wastewater into the city’s sewer system “with the knowledge of regional and district managers,” according to the release."

Besides that aspect there are environmental issues with the making of the oil in the first place. It also takes energy to manufacture that oil and bring it to market. In addition my city will not recycle used motor oil bottles:

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/sws/zerow...ng_plastic.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive