Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:45 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,817,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Weird. I am in Canada and the maintenance guide specifies 5000km intervals (3000 miles), which is pretty much in line with every car I have ever owned, what I learned in shop class and what my father and uncles always said about proper automobile maintenance. 5W-20 semi-synth is also what Ford recommends and uses at the dealership for it.
Right!

Here is some NORMAL driving for you!

2004 Ford SVT Lightning Burnout - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 11:48 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Weird. I am in Canada and the maintenance guide specifies 5000km intervals (3000 miles), which is pretty much in line with every car I have ever owned, what I learned in shop class and what my father and uncles always said about proper automobile maintenance. 5W-20 semi-synth is also what Ford recommends and uses at the dealership for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
So does mine. Actually I scanned my owners manual a page or so back. Yes...that's my actual manual.

See also my actual manual posted a page or two back.

Here it is again in case you missed it!

Link to 2003 Ford F150 Scheduled Maintenance Guide. Note the mileage intervals for oil changes for NORMAL driving conditions. The only time when 3000 mile intervals are recommended are for Special Operating Conditions which include trailer towing and dusty conditions.
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../03nmgmg6e.pdf

Old 09-02-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Link to 2003 Ford F150 Scheduled Maintenance Guide. Note the mileage intervals for oil changes for NORMAL driving conditions. The only time when 3000 mile intervals are recommended are for Special Operating Conditions which include trailer towing and dusty conditions.
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../03nmgmg6e.pdf
So what do you do with a 3/4 ton diesel pick up truck?
Mine tows a boat, is a 4x4 that gets used and also tows a Bobcat on a heavy steel trailer.
If you are even "stabbing it" like that (video ^) just once a week...that's NOT normal use.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:03 PM

Or I guess I should say...how much "normal use" do you think a F-150 Lightning gets?
Or a brand new Mustang GT 5.0, Camaro, Vette, Dodge Challenger RT etc???
Even the kid who beats on his Honda........

Not much!

Old 09-02-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
So what do you do with a 3/4 ton diesel pick up truck?
Mine tows a boat, is a 4x4 that gets used and also tows a Bobcat on a heavy steel trailer.
If you are even "stabbing it" like that (video ^) just once a week...that's NOT normal use.
Then you do what the Special Conditions recommend. You have made blanket statements throughout this thread about all and every.

Since I don't tow a boat or trailer, nor do I take make short trips, I fall under the "NORMAL" range for oil changes. The heaviest things I carry are a couple goose carts and 4 dozen full body decoys.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Then you do what the Special Conditions recommend. You have made blanket statements throughout this thread about all and every.

Since I don't tow a boat or trailer, nor do I take make short trips, I fall under the "NORMAL" range for oil changes. The heaviest things I carry are a couple goose carts and 4 dozen full body decoys.
I'd say you are in the minority for folks who own a pick up truck then. Do you use the 4 wheel drive.....at all?
Unless you are a 90 year old man or a "mall crawler" most pick ups fall under heavy duty use.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:35 PM

I would also say that if you run interstate speeds over 70 MPH that would be out of what is considered normal use as well. Everyone knows you have to punch it sometimes to clear the ramp or pass/change lanes.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:40 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,798,391 times
Quote:
So the commercial about "sludge" is made up?
If you have ever had the valve covers off a well used vehicle, pulled the oil pan and pick up or been inside one, you can tell who changed their oil or not. Yes it's true...it'a not a myth. A simple scan of the dipstick can even show it. You see that sticky s*** on it? It looks like gum or bees wax? Yeah, that's NOT good. Those manuals can't account for full throttle operation, how heavy of trailer you pull...what the average temp of your location is, how long you are sitting in traffic and each open of the thermostat and or fans kick on etc.. You're only fooling yourself if you think so.

I don't know anyone who changes theirs at 10,000 miles. Why would you? Some push it to 7,500 on rare occasions. 5,000 is the most common.
Read The Fine Manual. Every car and oils is different. My car's (GM) manual recommends 15K oil changes with Mobil 1 0w-40. I change it every 10K.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I'd say you are in the minority for folks who own a pick up truck then. Do you use the 4 wheel drive.....at all?
Unless you are a 90 year old man or a "mall crawler" most pick ups fall under heavy duty use.
Don't use 4WD since I don't have it, mostly because it's not needed about 99.9999999999% of the time. Most people around here that have 4WD don't know how to use it, or why.

Quote:
I would also say that if you run interstate speeds over 70 MPH that would be out of what is considered normal use as well. Everyone knows you have to punch it sometimes to clear the ramp or pass/change lanes.

You say a lot of things. See both quotes of yours as reference.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:47 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
3k miles is well outdated and a stupid thing to do.

The best thing to do is get your oil tested after 5-7k miles and they will tell you how much time you have left, then you shoot for that time the next time and send it off to get tested again and go from there. You'll know accurately by your driving when to change after that.

Rule of thumb if you don't want to do that is 7k miles and have your oil checked fully at a lab every 2 years max. A standard check costs about 30 bucks and a full check is 50 to 70 I think.

There is no logical reason these days with modern cars and oils to do it after 3k imho.

Sent from my Alcatel OT-981A using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive