Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 10:21 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
When you have the time, do you prefer city streets or the freeway (def. "limited-access highway") to arrive at where you're going, when it is a short distance away (e.g. <4 miles)?

I live near Duluth, which has one major freeway running through part of the city beginning in the Westside and terminating in the Eastside. When running errands, etc. I am often faced with the choice to drive on the freeway or city streets for short intra-city trips. If I'm not in an absolute rush, I'll almost always choose the streets, as they are far more interesting than the bland freeway (although descending into Duluth from the south is always a pleasure). Also, the idea of rapidly accelerating to 55 mph and getting off a mile later kind of puts me at unease. Traffic is not a problem, as I-35 in Duluth was built for a city twice Duluth's size; however, recent road construction on it (in the summers of 2010 and 2011) caused drastic slow-downs and back-ups. When in the Twin Cities metro area, which does have regular congestion (and where freeway use is a much bigger pain than in Duluth), I sometimes prefer the city streets, although for some trips I only know how to use the freeway to get to my destination.
Hi txvder--

99% of the time, it depends on which one gets me there more quickly.

The other 1%, I prefer city streets. I like having the windows down, and the road noise above 70 MPH with all those semi's is simply intolerable, no matter how high you crank the radio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 10:27 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,120,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
They have traffic in Duluth?
No, not unless there's road construction on a busy route, such as the entire I-35 in the summers of 2010 and 2011. Then it can be brutal, although there are usually alternative routes. Otherwise Duluth is practically without serious traffic congestion. It's one of the great advantages of living here.

I've never really cared much about getting from point A to point B in the shortest time possible when it's not necessary. I'll often take circuitous routes through scenic neighborhoods, especially when I'm with people who are not familiar with the city.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:41 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,095 times
I live in Allentown, PA.
The shortest distance to get to the northside of the metro area is to drive through Center City (downtown).

My wife drives through that area everyday for work but I wish she wouldn't.

Center city is rife with people with no car insurance driving recklessly , children that are unsupervised running out in the middle of the intersections chasing balls and each other, people double parking and also double parking without their hazards on causing accidents, and on and on and on.

Because of this I take the freeway and make a giant U turn back towards the north metro area.
It is nine miles longer for me to do this and is well worth it for me to do so.
I will not drive through the downtown area risking my car, my life and my nerves just to save some time.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:43 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,004,714 times
All else equal, I will take the highway. Traffic is not bad enough around here to worry about a traffic jam on the highway outside of a couple certain sections, or if weather (snow) is a factor. During a bad snow, I won't touch a highway! No way I am spending the night burried in snow, stuck in my car!

Old 09-13-2012, 12:43 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,754,243 times
1) whichever has less traffic
2) whichever takes less time to get me there
3) whichever is a shorter distance.

in that order. If you are scared to drive on the highways, or go to 0-55 as quickly as possible, please turn in your drivers license.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 PM

458 posts, read 1,248,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
in that order. If you are scared to drive on the highways, or go to 0-55 as quickly as possible, please turn in your drivers license.
I'm more scared to drive on city streets around here than highways lol

Old 09-13-2012, 01:08 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
well, im always going to prefer the fastest way. as far as which do i enjoy driving on more; that would be highway.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:30 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,120,643 times
Thinking about it more, I suppose it depends on what part of town I'm in.

I love to drive from Duluth's Downtown to its West End neighborhood when going to West Duluth, rather than taking the freeway (which would be quicker). In between is the Goat Hill neighborhood, which has some awesome steep, slanting, narrow streets that remind me somewhat of Europe, and the West End has a lot of interesting characters and sights, and I'm also familiar with those neighborhoods and like to see how they're changing, for better or for worse (usually, for worse). The boring freeway may be faster, but it's also less interesting, so unless I have to (for a job interview I'm running just-on-time for or when I miss all the morning masses and have to go to the late mass), I take the streets I consider my roots (OK, this rural guy doesn't consider most of them "his roots").

If it's just widely-spaced houses, or subdivisions off of an arterial road, than I prefer taking the freeway. Sometimes driving on the interstate can be so relaxing, especially after a long day "county hunting" (trying to visit as many counties you haven't as possible).

Old 09-13-2012, 03:32 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,015,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
No, not unless there's road construction on a busy route, such as the entire I-35 in the summers of 2010 and 2011. Then it can be brutal, although there are usually alternative routes. Otherwise Duluth is practically without serious traffic congestion. It's one of the great advantages of living here.

I've never really cared much about getting from point A to point B in the shortest time possible when it's not necessary. I'll often take circuitous routes through scenic neighborhoods, especially when I'm with people who are not familiar with the city.
Ah gotcha. My mom's from Mankato and I've been to Duluth so I was wondering.
Answer, IMO is simple. Which is quickest way if you are in a rush. If you are not in a rush, which way will provide less stress.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:25 PM

74,131 posts, read 1,835,903 times
I prefer to stay off the freeways, at least around Indy.
I've had to many close calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive