Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 06:21 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times

Advertisements

I wish I lived in the country. I have to work on my Jeep in a dark, cramped, damp, underground garage in my apartment building....built in 1927.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 06:48 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,817,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I wish I lived in the country. I have to work on my Jeep in a dark, cramped, damp, underground garage in my apartment building....built in 1927.
LOL Looking at my pics in the camera light, it looks like I need to clean. I have some blasting dust going on from my buddy using my blast cabinet two weeks ago to blast and reparkerize some AK-47 magazines.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:04 PM

I also wish I had an AK

effing government.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I also wish I had an AK

effing government.
Things are very different across the US. I'm starting to see that online. People think American trucks suck, people will turn in their neighbors for wrenching on cars because of some ordinance. People on the coasts freak out at firearms and private ownership. Grown men who can't change their own oil! LOL What's the world coming too? I am not fimilar with Canada so I can't comment.

I will tell you...I am very lucky to live in the MidWest!

Old 09-19-2012, 07:21 PM

Well, we can still have a pretty nice selection of semi-auto's. I guess it's not that bad really. Still put holes in....stuff.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Well, we can still have a pretty nice selection of semi-auto's. I guess it's not that bad really. Still put holes in....stuff.
These are all semi auto too. We can however own Class III NFA full autos in this State with a Federal tax stamp and for a fee of $200.

The OP and you sound about the same age. Both you two younger guys give me hope for the younger generation. You sure know what cool cars are...that's for sure. The OP works on cars and is a mechanic by trade I think. Don't let anyone stop either one of you being like the old guys!

Old 09-19-2012, 07:58 PM

441 posts, read 1,487,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
It's just a 6 minute oil change...
This is total BS. Do not kid yourself. The complete service requires more than actions of changing the oil and filter. Not to mention, the 6 minute oil change will not provide you with the needed time to look over the customers vehicle for other issues. As a professional, you owe it to your customers to look their vehicle over and make them aware of any issues that you see. You need then to show them, explain the problem and the ramifications. Then you need to take the time to give them an accurate estimate.

Quote:
.I graduated Lincoln tech.
All this says is, you paid x $ and attended x days. I've worked with people like this. I'm not impressed.

Quote:
I'm also in school for electrical engineering...
This is where you need to focus your time!

Quote:
And I will be getting my a.s.e s later this year..
Once again, not impressed. I had 2 employees, both master certified. Two of the most inept techs I have ever worked with!

Quote:
the right choice instead of taking 1 minute of their time and shooting me a text and asking for advice or info then they shouldn't be owning a vehicle.
You can bank on it. It will happen more often the not. Then you'll have a car with no oil in it tying up your bay while you wait for someone to deliver the right part or better yet you'll have to go get it. This will add a few minutes to you estimated 6 minutes.

Quote:
It's small quantities. .I will probably do like 16-20 oil changes a week..and I will buy products from the auto store..
@ $5 that's $80-$100 and this is gross. Gross is a term you will get to know, but Net is what you will live by. FYI, net does not equal or exceed Gross!

Quote:
My target audience..aren't your premedonnas, your "I wouldn't let an aftermarket shop touch my car" customers.

They are the people who are always looking for the best deal or barely making it by.
The cars you see on tow trucks...
Or barely running and falling apart....
Everyone is your target customer when in business. Thinking any other way is just limiting your goals!

Quote:
In reality those people will seek me out more then I seek them out.
Not to burst your ballon, but auto tech school and 2 year experience as a dealer lube tech is not going to have them beating your door down on a daily basis.
Quote:
I've turned down sidework before but my service manager enlightened me on what happens when you don't take charge which led to this decision.
This is only until he finds out you are taking on side work you have arranged at your day job. I'm sorry but this is stealing!
Quote:
My age is irrelevant. What difference does it make whether I'm 18 or 60 yrs old.
Experience and wisdom or lack there of.

Quote:
Man people here are so pessimistic..
People are only trying to give you realistic replies.

Quote:
I've been working on cars for nearly 2 years now and have never made a mistake like that.
You will in due time, we all do sometime. Don't think your the chosen one. At that time, you will be solely responsible.

Quote:
You always seem to give the best advice and positive feedback. I appreciate it.
RBG, undoubtably does not do this for a living and if he did he would give you more reasonable advice. Some of us are not trying to be negative, but realistic. Your not the first to venture out into the world of side work.
In order to know what you will charge, you must first figure out what you cost. You also must figure your overhead. And before you state it, you and your place of doing this service is not free. It is costing you or someone something. Then you need to break it down into an hourly cost. This would be the start of figuring out your labor charge. It not just some arbitrary number you can pull out of the air. Last but not least, if and only if this person with the letters IRS, shows up and start asking questions, they are not going to be satisfied with "it's only side work". In that case , your cost of doing buisiness just went aw up depending on how long you forgot to give them their portion!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCproud View Post
This is total BS. Do not kid yourself. The complete service requires more than actions of changing the oil and filter. Not to mention, the 6 minute oil change will not provide you with the needed time to look over the customers vehicle for other issues. As a professional, you owe it to your customers to look their vehicle over and make them aware of any issues that you see. You need then to show them, explain the problem and the ramifications. Then you need to take the time to give them an accurate estimate.

All this says is, you paid x $ and attended x days. I've worked with people like this. I'm not impressed.

This is where you need to focus your time!

Once again, not impressed. I had 2 employees, both master certified. Two of the most inept techs I have ever worked with!

You can bank on it. It will happen more often the not. Then you'll have a car with no oil in it tying up your bay while you wait for someone to deliver the right part or better yet you'll have to go get it. This will add a few minutes to you estimated 6 minutes.

@ $5 that's $80-$100 and this is gross. Gross is a term you will get to know, but Net is what you will live by. FYI, net does not equal or exceed Gross!

Everyone is your target customer when in business. Thinking any other way is just limiting your goals!

Not to burst your ballon, but auto tech school and 2 year experience as a dealer lube tech is not going to have them beating your door down on a daily basis.

This is only until he finds out you are taking on side work you have arranged at your day job. I'm sorry but this is stealing!

Experience and wisdom or lack there of.

People are only trying to give you realistic replies.

You will in due time, we all do sometime. Don't think your the chosen one. At that time, you will be solely responsible.

RBG, undoubtably does not do this for a living and if he did he would give you more reasonable advice. Some of us are not trying to be negative, but realistic. Your not the first to venture out into the world of side work.
In order to know what you will charge, you must first figure out what you cost. You also must figure your overhead. And before you state it, you and your place of doing this service is not free. It is costing you or someone something. Then you need to break it down into an hourly cost. This would be the start of figuring out your labor charge. It not just some arbitrary number you can pull out of the air. Last but not least, if and only if this person with the letters IRS, shows up and start asking questions, they are not going to be satisfied with "it's only side work". In that case , your cost of doing buisiness just went aw up depending on how long you forgot to give them their portion!
You're right...I'm a licensed HVAC tech...nice to meet ya!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:06 PM

Great job breaking the kids balls once too by the way.

I think he is smart enough to ignore your post.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:11 PM

And no....I'm not coming to your house on Saturday when your furnace or A/C takes a s*** and you are too cheapass to call the shop. Well...that never happens right?
My name is Mr. Ed!

LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive