Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 08:54 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

Jim Saksa says partly because of jerks like me. But it’s mostly your own illogical mind.

I'm an ******* cyclist. I'm that jerk weaving in and out of traffic, going the wrong way down a one-way street, and making a left on red. I'm truly a menace on the road.

But it’s not because I’m on a bike—I'm an ******* on the road no matter what. I’m also a stereotypical Jersey driver, someone who treats speed limits as speed minimums and curses those who disagree. And I'm just as bad as a pedestrian, another jaywalking smartphone zombie oblivious to the world beyond my glowing screen. If I’m moving, I’m an accident waiting to happen.

Cyclists are annoying: Why you think they’re a menace on two wheels. - Slate Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 09:13 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times
Right, it has nothing to do with the people of "Critical Mass".

Old 09-24-2012, 09:17 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times
Oh, and I use to ride my bicycle to work before moving to my current home. I was respectful of other vehicles, used hand traffic signals (for stop, left turn, & right turn), had head and tail lights, stopped at stop signs, and walked my bicycle across intersections with stop lights that wouldn't change without a car activating the pressure switch. Also didn't ride with headphones or cell phone glued to my ear.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:29 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
My biggest complaint is the riders on the wrong side of the road. I approach a street off a driveway or a intersection and look right once to access if there are any pedestrians within their right of way. I then watch traffic on my left to know when it is safe to enter traffic. Nothing upsets my drive worse than having to lock up my brakes for a bicyclist jumping off the curb in my path. Not supposed to be on sidewalk or street on the incorrect side of road.

I have talked to my insurance agent years ago about vehicle vs bicyclist accidents. He said they pay it off as quickly as possible just to keep out of court.

I have been riding bicycles for near 50 years and I have always rode on the correct side of the road for my safety.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:43 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,712,992 times
There's nothing illogical about hating this new breed of attitudes in costumes on 2 wheels that plague our streets.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:53 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,509,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I have been riding bicycles for near 50 years and I have always rode on the correct side of the road for my safety.
Same here. Riding into traffic is so unsafe. That, and riding on the sidewalk.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:25 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,967,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
There's nothing illogical about hating this new breed of attitudes in costumes on 2 wheels that plague our streets.
that's one thing I find hilarious about these cyclists. Many think they are Lance Armstrong with all the racing garb they wear.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:34 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,380,028 times
I like my bicycle and believe it converts me from a pedestrian to a vehicle. I ride with traffic in the street but have had people yell, "Get off the street. That's what sidewalks are for." Nah, I hate walking with my family on the sidewalk and see an approaching bicycle we'll have to dodge, or drive toward a bike coming at me in my lane going the wrong way. Where I live, kids walk in the street and ride their bikes on the sidewalk. There are no rules, apparently. Or common sense.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:39 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
The point I tired to make in the other thread, it is not bicycles that are the problem but the mentality of the riders. If the riders would exercise a measure of courtesy instead of the invincible thinking, the problems people have with them would decrease measurably.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:40 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I'm an ******* cyclist. I'm that jerk weaving in and out of traffic, going the wrong way down a one-way street, and making a left on red. I'm truly a menace on the road.

But it’s not because I’m on a bike—I'm an ******* on the road no matter what. I’m also a stereotypical Jersey driver, someone who treats speed limits as speed minimums and curses those who disagree. And I'm just as bad as a pedestrian, another jaywalking smartphone zombie oblivious to the world beyond my glowing screen. If I’m moving, I’m an accident waiting to happen.
Would you mind if I took out a term life insurance policy on your life?
Seems like it would be a good short term investment.

And thanks for the honesty, but your a jerk that makes all cyclists look bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive