Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 09:09 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
What are the most difficult U.S. cities to drive in and/or to own a car, due to density, narrow streets, small amounts of parking space, etc.?
Philadelphia is up there too.A large majority of residents don't own a car(that could be too that they've been entrenched here their entire lives also)

The streets are a joke,if you want to call them that. They're more like alleys!

Similar to Pittsburgh,they still have some 'cobblestone,horse-and-buggy,streets here that if you have an old car you'd better check it after driving here. I think the Alaskan highway is a better ride
But some will call it 'historic'. Whatever.

And parking,well that's a given...even in the residential neighborhoods. What a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 02:13 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
I hate driving through Detroit just because of all the pot holes and decayed streets.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:04 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
I hate driving through Detroit just because of all the pot holes and decayed streets.
In the east, the worst city in this regard is Baltimore. I swear, I take years off my car's life every time I drive in the downtown area in Charm City.

I think many of the cities mentioned already (New York or more specifically Manhattan, Boston, Pittsburgh, Washington, and Philadelphia, in that order) are a pain in the butt to drive around in.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:23 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,890,586 times
Philly- I 76 is a 4 lane highway (2 north, 2 south) an is always packed or screwed from an accident; the streets are in bad shape and many are based on old horse trails so they go in all directions and change names suddenly; there aren't many alternatives to the interstates due to the dangerous neighborhoods alternative streets run thru. The old New England addage "Ya' can't get there from here" totally applies to the streets here-my Thompson Guide is well worn.

Oh and the I476 is called The Blue Route because it took so long to build, a dashed blue line represented its eventual path.

Last edited by leighland; 02-25-2008 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: added 476 stuff

Old 02-25-2008, 03:32 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Philly- I 76 is a 4 lane highway (2 north, 2 south) an is always packed or screwed from an accident; the streets are in bad shape and many are based on old horse trails so they go in all directions and change names suddenly; there aren't many alternatives to the interstates due to the dangerous neighborhoods alternative streets run thru. The old New England addage "Ya' can't get there from here" totally applies to the streets here-my Thompson Guide is well worn.

Oh and the I476 is called The Blue Route because it took so long to build, a dashed blue line represented its eventual path.
I know I make sure I listen to KYW 1060 AM for the traffic report every time I drive to Philadelphia to determine if I can take the Schuylkill Expressway (I-76) or have to take an alternate route to get to the stadium complex, University City, etc. Probably 90-95% of the time I take an alternate route because the Schuylkill is almost ALWAYS congested, including on weekends and off-peak hours during the day on weekdays. I think the only time the road isn't congested is very late at night/overnight, and even then it isn't a given it will be alright.

I've driven down Lancaster Avenue a few times as an alternate, and I'm just thankful I've never broken down somewhere between the middle of Overbrook and about 36th or 37th Street, in part because of the rough street (surface-wise) but mainly because of the rough neighborhood.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:18 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
I lived in Boston and refused to own a car. It just seemed to difficult with the traffic and parking. I hate driving in or near NYC. I always take a train to both of those cities. It may be better now but I thought Atlanta had a ton of traffic. I avoid the beltways in DC and Baltimore during rush hours which last for most of the day.
For a city as large as Chicago, I actually think it is easy to drive in.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:25 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Philly- I 76 is a 4 lane highway (2 north, 2 south) an is always packed or screwed from an accident; there aren't many alternatives to the interstates due to the dangerous neighborhoods alternative streets run thru.
Yea that's PA for ya,slow progress

As for 76 alt routes,it's also hard to get around it because it winds along the river and Fairmount Park.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:33 AM

812 posts, read 4,082,531 times
San Francisco - the hills make it so most are afraid to drive there with a manual... it's rather shocking to some with an auto, even. You spend more time looking for a place to park than you did actually getting there, many apartments don't provide parking at all, making you have to fend for yourself on the streets. Residents also need to budget a "street tax" since it's not an if, but a when you get a parking ticket for street cleaning... Let's see, gas is on average more expensive, and the fact that it's a mostly freeway-less city, yet one of the densest (i.e. all that traffic down on surface streets) makes it a pretty awful car city.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:48 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,526,366 times
I think Boston regularly gets that vote...good people end up in bad places in Boston...

Old 02-26-2008, 02:06 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,869 times
Worst Cities to Drive in

Hills- Cincinnati, Pittsburgh

Poor street grid/marking of streets- Boston, D.C.

NO street grid- Cincinnati, Pittsburgh

Narrow streets and one ways- Philly, Pittsburgh, Boston, Cincinnati

Potholes and bad roads (from my experience)- Detroit, Columbus, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Buffalo

Worst cities to own a car because....

it's merely impractical- New York, San Francisco

of traffic- Houston, D.C., Atlanta, Los Angeles

of parking- New York, San Francisco, D.C.

you might not be owning it long- Detroit, Baltimore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive