Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 03:12 PM

232 posts, read 632,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
Worst Cities to Drive in

Hills- Cincinnati, Pittsburgh

Do they have hills like this there?

Because San Fransisco has a ton of those. Note the traffic lights/stop signs at each intersection. Was a nightmare in a stick shift with a bad clutch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 07:48 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
^ at least it doesn't snow in SF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
I think NYC, more specifically Manhattan, would be 1st in this category, hands down. After being a 16 year old with his permit driving through Times Square, driving has been a peice of cake for me. I drive like I've been doing it for 30 years because of NYC.
Not that I've physically driven in many other cities, but I would have to agree Manhattan is terrible... because of cabbies changing lanes with no warning (like signaling), the double-parked cars/trucks causing that, and worst of all... the pot-holes you MUST avoid all at the same time. You must've gotten a few honks at 16 & inexperienced though.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:11 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
My first thought upon seeing the title was Boston. Reasons already well documented in this thread...

After some reflection, I'd also say LA is really tough if you don't have a good GPS that says street names. First time I drove there was in 2005 and GPS was not as common as it is now. With printed mapquest maps for every trip, it still took a driver and a navagator to get around the city for a week of business meetings. If you merge onto a freeway from the left, and have to exit in 2 miles on the right, that may sound simple, but in LA you need the full two miles to get over the 6+ lanes of traffic. And "turn right in 400 yards doesn't even begin to help you, when there may be 3 different exit ramps between 300-500 yards.

The traffic is horrible (took me longer to get from N LA to Manhattan Beach areas on the 405 than it did to get from Bakersfield to N. LA!!), but the real challenge in LA is knowing where you are going, what lane you need to be in, and which ramp to take, all with enough time to position yourself to actually do it.

In one week, we only missed one turn, but it took a lot of planning and communication....

Old 09-12-2010, 08:41 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,860,270 times
Ah I don't know, but I tell ya Louisiana has the worst roads, highest car insurance, and the list goes on and on. Car company's send new model cars down here and test drive them a few months figuring if they can hanle these roads anywhere else will be a snap, many don't make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive