Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 02:53 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

ARGH!!! While parked at work today/tonight, some idiot dented my car rather badly - and didn't even bother to leave a note. It's an awful parking lot (at a public library), with compact spaces where you'll often see giant SUVs parked anyway. This is also a town full of soccer moms and senior citizens, so let's just say they don't all have excellent driving skills. Now I know why most staff members park in the back, where the spots are larger and less used... I'll be doing that from now on, for sure!!

So I'm just curious, would you have left a note after doing this (see pics below) to somebody's car, even without any witnesses around? I would and have. And do you think this is fixable with something like a "dent doctor" and paint? I only have minimum insurance coverage right now, and a few mechanical issues to address before even considering body work. Gah, people really suck sometimes.

P.S. It's a 2005 Honda Accord, and does minor body damage really decrease re-sale values? It also has a few dings/scratches on the bumpers, and some light scratching all the way across the roof... long story, LOL.

Note the SUV parked in that compact space? Also note, I left plenty of space for anyone parking beside me.

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-05-2012 at 03:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 03:01 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Nope, I drive better then that lol. I would if it happened for some reason though.

A dent doctor should take out the bulk of it, but I don't know if that crease in the belt line is gonna come out nicely.

You could leave it be for now though. Doesn't look like he made it thru the primer.

Looks like he was pulliung in and hit ya. That CS probably pulled right back out and went two spaces over. Probably still in the lot while you took pics to boot!

That sucks.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:14 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,398 times
For that amount of damage? Yes, I would.

As I know to my co$t, not everybody does though.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:19 AM

393 posts, read 1,202,629 times
Yes, I would have left a note. I've had the same thing happen to me (no note), so I feel your pain.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
For that amount of damage? Yes, I would.

As I know to my co$t, not everybody does though.
Seriously! It's not like they just dinged my license plate, that's a full-on DENT with potential for permanent "scars." If the driver was too old and/or incompetent to realize they'd hit me, somebody needs to yank their license ASAP... but I'm sure they did know, and like Magna said above, just pulled out and found another spot. Such a jerk.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Nope, I drive better then that lol. I would if it happened for some reason though.
I'm a pretty good driver myself, but did live in San Francisco for five years - with a stick-shift, no less. So I admit to have a couple of D'oh/ding moments, while attempting a tight parallel spot on an insane hill. I never did anything this bad, though!

Quote:
A dent doctor should take out the bulk of it, but I don't know if that crease in the belt line is gonna come out nicely.

You could leave it be for now though. Doesn't look like he made it thru the primer.
Thanks... I'll probably leave it until my mechanic friend gets back into town (December), and then ask him to make it a little prettier. Gives "LaHonda" some character, I suppose.

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-05-2012 at 04:50 AM..

Old 10-05-2012, 04:52 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Left a note???!!!! Are you kidding? With that amount of damage? At a library?
OMG.
I would have marched sorry self back into the library and asked if they had a PA system and asked them to announce to the owner of a 2005 Honda, license number (imsorry) would please come to the desk.
When that person (owner of the honda) came to the desk, I would have told you, I'm sorry gizmo980, I hit your car backing out of a parking spot, and owned up to my lack of driving ability.

You bet. Body damage like that can surely hurt your car's trade in value, and overall resale value! By the time you pay your $500.00 deductible, you're gonna have to drive that car at least another 7 years to get your money back out of it. But, since your car is probably paid off, and you don't carry collision insurance on it anymore, you're going to end up eating it.

Go back to the library frequently, sit in the parking lot, and when you see a vehicle with front end scratches which might be the match to your damage, confront mrs. soccermom by asking her, why did you hit my car and leave? (just kidding)

p.s. if it was a public library, it is technically city-village-county operated, did you make a police report?

Old 10-05-2012, 05:07 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,398 times
I have to admit that the state of peoples parking has now got me choosing what car to take depending on where I go and what the parking's like there. Is parking like reversing becoming a lost art? It's not even an art! It's basic but a lot of people just can't do it...

I feel a rant coming on...... I'm off to have a coffee.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:12 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
I'm guessing not a whole lot of people are going to say they would just drive off.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Left a note???!!!! Are you kidding? With that amount of damage? At a library?
OMG.
I would have marched sorry self back into the library and asked if they had a PA system and asked them to announce to the owner of a 2005 Honda, license number (imsorry) would please come to the desk.
When that person (owner of the honda) came to the desk, I would have told you, I'm sorry gizmo980, I hit your car backing out of a parking spot, and owned up to my lack of driving ability.
Well, you're obviously a better person than this hit-and-run idiot! I would have been horrified with myself for doing that, and probably would've tried to find the car's owner too.

Quote:
You bet. Body damage like that can surely hurt your car's trade in value, and overall resale value! By the time you pay your $500.00 deductible, you're gonna have to drive that car at least another 7 years to get your money back out of it. But, since your car is probably paid off, and you don't carry collision insurance on it anymore, you're going to end up eating it.
Yeah, the car is paid off, and I only have the minimum insurance required by CA... would it be wrong (or even worth it) to up my coverage now, and wait a while to make the claim? Do they have a waiting period for claims?

Dammit, I was really hoping to trade/sell this car in a year or two. And while Hondas do hold their value well, this definitely puts a slight kink in my plans.

Quote:
Go back to the library frequently, sit in the parking lot, and when you see a vehicle with front end scratches which might be the match to your damage, confront mrs. soccermom by asking her, why did you hit my car and leave? (just kidding)

p.s. if it was a public library, it is technically city-village-county operated, did you make a police report?
Haha... I would SO love to confront Mrs. Soccermom (or just as likely, Mr/Mrs. Too-old-to-still-be-driving), and ask where they learned to be so inconsiderate!

It is a public library, and I am actually a librarian there - so they kinda hit a county vehicle, since I have an official county/staff parking permit. I didn't file a report, but my boss said I might want to consider that. Either way, it's obvious I'll be eating the cost if I decide to repair it.

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-05-2012 at 05:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive