Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 05:51 AM

30,382 posts, read 51,991,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm guessing not a whole lot of people are going to say they would just drive off.
I know... it was more of a rhetorical/sarcastic question, since whoever WOULD hit & run likely wouldn't be answering.

Also, I wanted to gauge how bad you all thought the damage was! I have a tendency to overreact when it comes to my car, but it seems I had a right to be mad about this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 06:06 AM

30,382 posts, read 51,991,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
I have to admit that the state of peoples parking has now got me choosing what car to take depending on where I go and what the parking's like there. Is parking like reversing becoming a lost art? It's not even an art! It's basic but a lot of people just can't do it...

I feel a rant coming on...... I'm off to have a coffee.
Unfortunately I only have one car to choose from, but I'm tempted to get a "beater" as my next vehicle! May as well, since it's clear people can't drive around here.

And you're right, parking really has become a lost art. I was watching this guy attempt to parallel park (outside of my apartment) recently, and he literally tried three BIG spots before giving up & driving away. I was tempted to run out and offer to help, since I'm an excellent parallel parker - mostly due to my time in SF, where you must either learn that skill or take the bus. But now I'm down in the South Bay, where they can't manage even the largest and straightest of spots. Honestly, it's pathetically amusing at times.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:08 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,636,952 times
Damn senior citizens and soccer moms and those big suv's How do you know it wasn't a 17 year old high school student that did the damage.
"Yeah, the car is paid off, and I only have the minimum insurance required by CA... would it be wrong (or even worth it) to up my coverage now, and wait a while to make the claim? Do they have a waiting period for claims?" Are you implying about filing a false insurance claim? If the car is damaged now (and don't report it to your insurance company or file a police report) then decide to up your coverage and then sometime afterwards report the damage (because you now have better coverage) would in my opinion be filing a false insurance claim. I'm thinking the insurance company will want a police report to process the claim, so now you may be filing a false police report as well. Bottom line is that there are many people out there that don't give a crap about anyone else and their property. If you do what you say you are considering doing, does that make you any better?

Old 10-05-2012, 06:16 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,269,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
ARGH!!! While parked at work today/tonight, some idiot dented my car rather badly - and didn't even bother to leave a note. It's an awful parking lot (at a public library), with compact spaces where you'll often see giant SUVs parked anyway. This is also a town full of soccer moms and senior citizens, so let's just say they don't all have excellent driving skills. Now I know why most staff members park in the back, where the spots are larger and less used... I'll be doing that from now on, for sure!!
So I'm just curious, would you have left a note after doing this (see pics below) to somebody's car, even without any witnesses around? I would and have. And do you think this is fixable with something like a "dent doctor" and paint? I only have minimum insurance coverage right now, and a few mechanical issues to address before even considering body work. Gah, people really suck sometimes.
P.S. It's a 2005 Honda Accord, and does minor body damage really decrease re-sale values? It also has a few dings/scratches on the bumpers, and some light scratching all the way across the roof... long story, LOL.
Note the SUV parked in that compact space? Also note, I left plenty of space for anyone parking beside me.
Oops..did I highlight your mention of senior citizens who normally don't have great driving skills? What makes you think it could be a senior who hit your car? My car is also full of dings and scratches and I don't believe that it was seniors or perhaps a soccer Mom who could have done it..could have been anyone. I do have to say that SENIORS are not the ones driving all over town with those freakin low rise cars with the loud muffler systems or driving like maniacs because they might be late for a party ORRRRR....TEXTING while driving so no more bad comments about SENIORS ok...yes I am one, I am 65 years old and am amazed at how irresponsible the younger drivers are. I go out and about just about every day in my Scion and it is ALWAYS an impatient younger person who almost hits my beloved square car..ALWAYS!!

Now tell us...how did you manage to get a scratch across your roof unless a scorned lover did it? No wait...someone had to be sitting up on the roof at an outdoor fest of some sort..that's it..partying. Now there is some responsible behavior..no.

Look, take your car to get fixed and stop blaming all the wrong people. My guess?? A big SUV got impatient and pulled out of the parking spot to fast..the irresponsible driver took off cuz he could..who was gonna figure it out and who was gonna stop him. Lesson well learned.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:21 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,269,356 times
Quote:
I know... it was more of a rhetorical/sarcastic question, since whoever WOULD hit & run likely wouldn't be answering.

Also, I wanted to gauge how bad you all thought the damage was! I have a tendency to overreact when it comes to my car, but it seems I had a right to be mad about this one.
Did you call the Police anyhow and file a report? That might have been the best move to take first...then you call your insurance company before too much time passes. THEN you don't park where you think you can get run into BY ANYONE...taking the blame for some of this is on your shoulders too...if you love your car as much as you say you do then park it in the NORTH 40 and walk some distance to get into the library or wherever you are going. THINK AHEAD.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:24 AM

32,958 posts, read 36,425,299 times
Quote:
Seriously! It's not like they just dinged my license plate, that's a full-on DENT with potential for permanent "scars." If the driver was too old and/or incompetent to realize they'd hit me, somebody needs to yank their license ASAP... but I'm sure they did know, and like Magna said above, just pulled out and found another spot. Such a jerk.
That's it, isn't it? I could see a teen or perhaps a senior feeling vulnerable after having done that sort of damage.

Would I leave a note? Yes, I would at least leave a note if I had been in a hurry. Hey, I was a Girl Scout and believe in karma. If you're worried about resale, I'd have those scuffs buffed out and the worst of the dents taken care of.

A smart used car buyer wants to know what's under the hood.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,880,612 times
When I lived at the beach, I had to park in a giant public parking lot. I came out one morning and found my car with a big dent/scrape and a headlight cowling scratched. On my windshield was a note:

" Ha Ha I hit your car and people are watching me, so I am leaving this so they think I am leaving you a note to get your car fixed."

I was furious. However on the back was another note:

"Ha Ha Ha I was suspcicious of this kid so I read his note. He is in a white toyota - here is the license number #######"

His mom was pretty p.o.ed to see that note. I got a check, he got his license chopped up (according to his mom).

Old 10-05-2012, 06:39 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,166,131 times
People are so inconsiderate.

My van got dented pretty badly (similar to yours) in the back. No note, no nothing. Estimate is $900 to fix.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:09 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,248,987 times
Quote:
Well, you're obviously a better person than this hit-and-run idiot! I would have been horrified with myself for doing that, and probably would've tried to find the car's owner too.

Yeah, the car is paid off, and I only have the minimum insurance required by CA... would it be wrong (or even worth it) to up my coverage now, and wait a while to make the claim? Do they have a waiting period for claims?

Dammit, I was really hoping to trade/sell this car in a year or two. And while Hondas do hold their value well, this definitely puts a slight kink in my plans.

Haha... I would SO love to confront Mrs. Soccermom (or just as likely, Mr/Mrs. Too-old-to-still-be-driving), and ask where they learned to be so inconsiderate!

It is a public library, and I am actually a librarian there - so they kinda hit a county vehicle, since I have an official county/staff parking permit. I didn't file a report, but my boss said I might want to consider that. Either way, it's obvious I'll be eating the cost if I decide to repair it.
Gizmo, I have hit n run experience.

When I was a 18 year old, I struck a car next to me backing out, in a parking lot.

A witness gave the P.D. a description and a plate number, an hour or two later, cops were at my door.

The cops told me that what I did was a huge mistake from a moral standpoint, or, point of view.
I ended up paying for my mistakes.

I paid the owner of the car damages, and paid for the ticket-damage to private property of another person. They couldn't ticket me for leaving the scene since what I did occurred on private property. But, none the less, I realized how serious the matter was, and being approached by my local P.D. for it really shook me up. I've been straight foreward ever since.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:14 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,589,580 times
I guess the answer to your question would vary depending on the drivers situation. Did he/she have the $ to hand over to cover the cost to fix the damage? Was he/she the policy holder or on the insurance policy of the car that hit you? Maybe they werent and didnt want to cause trouble to the owner/policy holder to the car if the accident was reported. Me personally, if I had the funds to cover the cost of what happened I would have definitely left a note and taken care of the damage. If not and I was one of those struggling to make ends meet, I probably would have drove off. You want to protect yourself from mishaps like this?, get full coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive