Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:02 PM

861 posts, read 1,250,303 times

Advertisements

Ride Along (Episode 2) Deep Crease Dent Repair / Glue Pull Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 07:24 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I would say that honesty isn't dependent on a dollar amount. An honest person will act in an honorable manner whether the price is $50 or $2000.
While I do understand what jtur was saying, I also agree with this. I'm usually a very honest person, and would have fessed up even if it meant a large cost to me... it's just how I was raised, and my conscience wouldn't be clear otherwise!

You know what's funny? I was working at the same location today, and remembered as I was leaving that I'd planned to speak with the cops about this... so I quickly Googled their address on my iPhone, and silly me, I had forgotten we also share a lot with them. Sure hope it wasn't an officer who hit me, as I would think at least THEY are still somewhat honest! I'm at the department now, actually, waiting for them to get out of a briefing - the woman at the front desk said they can file two different types of reports, one of which I can give to my insurance company.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the video! I'll bookmark it to show my friend, since I don't trust myself to touch the car.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:57 PM

12,783 posts, read 15,001,003 times
That's a real bummer! I guess these days, it takes a good person to leave a note anymore. I'm afraid hardly anyone will anymore.

But, if you knew drivers are like this in your area & the parking spots are more spacious in the back, why haven't you been parking there all. I sure as hell would have been!

In these carzy times that we're living in, no one wants to leave notes anymore where the person who got the damage could possibly retaliate & do God knows what to the person who caused the damage, but wanted to leave a note because he wanted to do the right thing.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I would say that honesty isn't dependent on a dollar amount. An honest person will act in an honorable manner whether the price is $50 or $2000.
Not so. Way too many people, these days, are less than a thousand dollars away from personal financial catastrophe. A single mom with two jobs or a guy whose job has gone south or is teetering on the edge, or a family with pre-existing conditions would take years to recover from the damage that can be done by a rolling shopping cart. And too many drivers, if they found a note, would take a pound of flesh -- these are not forgiving times.

To most people, yes, honesty is not dependent on dollar value. But there are many to whom it does.
the honor system works both ways, and little honor can be expected in times when charity is equally rare. Marginalized people can simply not afford the exposure, when it is so rare for them to be the recipients of honor. These days, you have to get away with what you can, because that's how the other side works, and after a while, people get tired of always being the designated loser.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
That's a real bummer! I guess these days, it takes a good person to leave a note anymore. I'm afraid hardly anyone will anymore.
That's pretty sad, but especially in this region, it seems people are become more & more self-absorbed/selfish. Personally I blame a lot of that on mobile & social technology, but that's a discussion best saved for another board.

(also have to consider the terrible economy, as even in wealthier areas people aren't as financially stable these days)

Quote:
But, if you knew drivers are like this in your area & the parking spots are more spacious in the back, why haven't you been parking there all. I sure as hell would have been!
Already said I'll be doing that from now on! But note that I only mentioned those spots are more generous, meaning they aren't specifically for compacts... they are still well used, though, so I'll be almost as likely to get hit. Matter of fact, I don't believe ANY were available on the day I got hit - which is probably why I chose to park in the smaller ones instead. Usually I park in the adjacent ones, or over by the soccer field instead. Since I'm having trouble explaining our parking situation, here are some pics I snapped today while at work...

The entrance, which is off a busy road w/ no street parking allowed

And here's where I parked, in the spot with the blue Honda Civic... all of the spots in that line are marked compact, and yet I count FIVE non-compact cars. That's one of my main gripes!! Also note the ones in the way back (where they're more generous) are all taken. So yeah, I know this is a lot where dings will be common - hence the reason I'm more mad about the lack of honesty than the actual fact I got hit. I think some people have missed that point here, even though it's right in the subject line.

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-07-2012 at 10:44 PM..

Old 10-07-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Not so. Way too many people, these days, are less than a thousand dollars away from personal financial catastrophe. A single mom with two jobs or a guy whose job has gone south or is teetering on the edge, or a family with pre-existing conditions would take years to recover from the damage that can be done by a rolling shopping cart. And too many drivers, if they found a note, would take a pound of flesh -- these are not forgiving times.

To most people, yes, honesty is not dependent on dollar value. But there are many to whom it does.
the honor system works both ways, and little honor can be expected in times when charity is equally rare. Marginalized people can simply not afford the exposure, when it is so rare for them to be the recipients of honor. These days, you have to get away with what you can, because that's how the other side works, and after a while, people get tired of always being the designated loser.
You are mostly right, and I said something similar in my post above (regarding the economy). But I'm not one of those who would "take a pound of flesh," so it doubly sucks if I suffer for the actions of others.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:24 AM

24,422 posts, read 23,084,509 times
The problem is that people just walk around being complete self absorbed spaced out morons which is very hard to be forgiving of. You use a little common sense and be careful getting in and out of your car or you make sure your kids do the same. You put your shopping car into the cart corral. You watch what you're doing when you park your car. We can maybe accept that personal responsibility is a thing of the past, but must we give up any expectations that other people won't be so stupid and careless?

Old 10-08-2012, 10:23 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,718,731 times
I've had this happen, though I didn't leave nearly as much damage. I had my car door open and the wind caught it, knocking it into the car next to me. Left a little dent (on a brand new car, go figure), I left a note. Guy called me, thanked me profusely, I told him just go get an estimate, send me the price and the bodyshop and I'd pay for it. He wound up not getting it fixed, didn't think it was worth it for the cost of getting it fixed. That said, my neighbors have zero respect. My old Jeep had little dings down the side next to their car, our Camry has a few too since I park the new Jeep in the other space now. They can't control their doors (or their kids opening them) to save their lives and I refuse to have dings all over my new car. We've had a couple times where they've parked and gotten so close to our cars we weren't sure they were going to get the car back out - they couldn't even get the door open to their car to get out!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:32 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,237,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
One of my best days was when I watched a cop issue a ticket to a yutz who parked his mercedes and took up 4 spaces in a shopping mall parking lot.
If someone wants to do that far out in a lot, where there is a near zero chance that the parking of other vehicles will extend out that far, I'm OK with it. People who are willing to walk an extra 20, 30, 40 yards so they can park away from everyone else to help protect their vehicle will get no flack from me.

OTOH, people who do it in the first ten spaces in front of a grocery store should get towed.

There is a light pole in a space at a store I go to weekly, that makes the space unusable. Whenever I can, I will take that half space and the one next to it. I'm only occupying one useful space, but there's at least 3' between me and any other vehicle. Sometimes I get dirty looks, but I think people don't see what I've done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

You missed the point of honesty and integrity. The whole principle of integrity is doing the right thing, not because you can afford it, or that it's convenient, or because it won't get you into trouble, but because it's the right thing to do. It has nothing to do with the supposed or proven actions of other people. There are no qualifiers to being honest or having integrity. You can't say "I have integrity when it's convenient." You either have it or you don't, all the time.

We had one of the honor boxes in our break room, the one with candy bars, bags of nuts, etc. Once a month when the bill came due, the supplier of the box would go to the store manager and ask for the difference, because several employees did not pay as they should. The manager would question us as a group as to who had paid. I paid, so I could look him in the eye and say so. Some of the other employees could not, or worse yet, looked him straight to his face and lied. To me it was a simple way to tell who I could more likely trust, and who I should keep an eye on, and not trust. Just like the others, I could have gotten away with not paying. But it was worth a few bucks a month to be able to hold my head up.

That is integrity.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 10-08-2012 at 01:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive