Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2012, 04:09 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,981,374 times

Advertisements

Oh, but for the record, I already did say I'll be parking in the back from now on... it isn't people or car-FREE, but the spots are a bit more generous in size. My boss told me that when I first started working, but I didn't realize she was really that serious about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 04:20 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,940,891 times
A honest person would leave their name and phone number..............others NOPE.

I once witnesed a T Bird with three men inside back out of a space and hit the rear fender of another car and drive off.

I memorized the car license plate noting the color and time of day. Went into the sandwich shop they came out of and asked out loud who owned a certain car out front. The owner answered and I gave her the info I had.

She later called me to say she had checked with the DMV and the man denied doing anything. She replied that a witness gave her the license number, descripton of the car with three men inside......they paid the repair bill and the lady sent me a few $$$ for helping her. I did not ask for any money...just trying to be a good samaritan.....works both ways.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:20 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,981,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Someone once hit my car and left a note.

It said "Sorry i hit your car.
Haha... at least they felt sorry, and I'd have been happier with that than nothing!

Old 10-06-2012, 04:29 PM

106,773 posts, read 108,997,702 times
Like the geico commercial lol

I saved big money on my car insurance,i fled the scene ha ha ha

Old 10-06-2012, 06:51 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,863,784 times
Several years ago, during an violent thunderstorm I backed into a car that was parked sideways in a space behind me. It was pouring buckets and the car was grey, I simply didn't see it. The driver had parked it sideways because the back of the two spaces were flooded.

I got out and looked, and it put a sharp dent in the driver's door. My ten year old daughter was in the car with me, and we sat and waited in the storm until the driver came back so I could tell him what I did. I didn't see any way to leave a note that it wouldn't blow away or get soaked.

When he finally came back to his car I apologized and gave him my contact information. He said it was his dad's car, but don't worry about it because it looked minor.

Well, he called me two days later and said his dad got an estimate of $1900 and would like me to pay for it. He even offered to get more estimates or to let me choose whatever shop I wanted to fix it, so I thought he was being very reasonable.

But.....ouch! $1900 hurt but at least I did the right thing. And hopefully showed my daughter the importance of being honest.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:41 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,818,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
ARGH!!! While parked at work today/tonight, some idiot dented my car rather badly - and didn't even bother to leave a note. It's an awful parking lot (at a public library), with compact spaces where you'll often see giant SUVs parked anyway. This is also a town full of soccer moms and senior citizens, so let's just say they don't all have excellent driving skills. Now I know why most staff members park in the back, where the spots are larger and less used... I'll be doing that from now on, for sure!!

So I'm just curious, would you have left a note after doing this (see pics below) to somebody's car, even without any witnesses around? I would and have. And do you think this is fixable with something like a "dent doctor" and paint? I only have minimum insurance coverage right now, and a few mechanical issues to address before even considering body work. Gah, people really suck sometimes.

P.S. It's a 2005 Honda Accord, and does minor body damage really decrease re-sale values? It also has a few dings/scratches on the bumpers, and some light scratching all the way across the roof... long story, LOL.

Note the SUV parked in that compact space? Also note, I left plenty of space for anyone parking beside me.
Jesus Christ...they did over 1-2K worth of damage. No...I wouldn't have left a note. I would HAVE called the cops.

That would be more than enough for you to file a hit-n-run case there little lady.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:57 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,560,413 times
I heard one about those notes on the windshield a long time ago. A man backed into the car behind him and busted the headlight. When the owner of the second car came back, there was a note on the windshield. "I apologize for backing into your car and breaking the headlight. I am totally at fault. People are watching me write this note thinking I'm leaving you my name, address, phone, and insurance information. I'm not!"

Old 10-06-2012, 08:09 PM

8,074 posts, read 12,799,949 times
Most people, in my opinion would have drove off KNOWING they did it IF they were sure nobody saw them do it. I have a very low opinion of people in general and while I would "like to think" people would do the right thing experience has taught me otherwise.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:29 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,887 times
I would leave a note, I HATE people that do things like that, they do not have any respect for anyone except themselves.
About 6 months ago 2 drunk kids hit my car at around 2:30 in the morning and left a huge dent.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
Yes; its the law;at least in Texas. It just might be some young idot without insurance just as likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive