Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 09:42 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,208 times

Advertisements

Bought a 2005 Toyota Echo with 87,000 miles, the car looks brand new and seems to run very good except the brakes were making a noise and the mechanic by my daughters house said I needed new pads and rotors. He was all backed up so I took it to a mechanic by my house and he did the work.
It was still making the noise but only in the morning when I would start driving, by the time I got to the mechanic that did the work, the noise had stopped. I figured out later that after the car ran for awhile, the noise would go away except for a sticking sound when I released the brake and a little when I applied them but usually when I was in heavy stop and go traffic. Also the engine has started revving (didn't before the brakes were worked on).
Just wondering what could be going on, any ideas? The only time any of my cars ever made this sound was when I needed new brakes with rotors. When the engine starts revving at stop lights I have to hold the brake down hard.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 05:11 AM

I made a mistake, it was the mechanic by my daughters house that did the work. I feel embarrassed to take it to the close mechanic because I didn't wait for him to be able to do the work.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:43 AM

774 posts, read 2,602,212 times
New brakes sometimes make noise for the first few days. Also depending on the type of pads installed they could make noise for the first couple of stops each day. Especially if it was water or humid the night before.

If the noise goes away after the first couple of stops I would say that is normal. Drive it for a week and see if it improves.. If not call then mechanic. I'm going to bet he installed Semi-Metallic pads which will make noise on the first couple of stops.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:06 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
You have to use the exact correct pads on some imports to eliminate brake squeak. The engine speed has nothing to do with the brakes. It is a separate issue.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:52 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Take it to the mechanic who is too busy to do it now. He is busy for a reason! (Also probably why the other one was not busy?)

Old 10-28-2012, 10:19 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Don't be embarrassed to take it to the original mechanic as he is in business to service cars. If he could not work on it in a reasonable time-frame, then it is understood that you would take a car that you drive daily to someone else if you were in danger of brake failure/damaged rotors/etc.

Bring the car to the busy mechanic for the revving at the stoplight, and mention that you had to have the brakes worked on, and if they could check them for you as they are making a noise. Regarding the engine speed, you may need to have the idle air control and throttle body cleaned as deposits can form which may make the car rev like that at a light. The mechanic should be able to tell you if that's the case.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-28-2012, 10:20 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Bought a 2005 Toyota Echo with 87,000 miles, the car looks brand new and seems to run very good except the brakes were making a noise and the mechanic by my daughters house said I needed new pads and rotors. He was all backed up so I took it to a mechanic by my house and he did the work.
It was still making the noise but only in the morning when I would start driving, by the time I got to the mechanic that did the work, the noise had stopped. I figured out later that after the car ran for awhile, the noise would go away except for a sticking sound when I released the brake and a little when I applied them but usually when I was in heavy stop and go traffic. Also the engine has started revving (didn't before the brakes were worked on).
Just wondering what could be going on, any ideas? The only time any of my cars ever made this sound was when I needed new brakes with rotors. When the engine starts revving at stop lights I have to hold the brake down hard.
Thanks

Hi, mag32gie.

That the sound you hear in the mornings in most likely rust on the rotors. It's very common for rotors to get light surface rust, even overnight just from the moisture in the air. As you drive and brake thru the day you wear it off, and that's why the noise goes away.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:44 AM

I will do everything that you say.
Just wanted to add that no matter how long I drive it, in my hour of rush hour stop and go traffic? There is a light clunk or light stuck sound when I release the brake and another light sound when I apply the brakes.
The reason I mentioned the revving is because it didn't start until after the brake job.
One other question?
Should I just take it to a Toyota dealer for repairs if the busy mechanic is too busy?
Also the brakes have been on for over a week and I drive it for 1 1/2 hours everyday.
Thanks for all of the help.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:49 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Yes a Toyota dealer would more likely have good mechanics. They will charge more, but I think it is worth it. (You get what you pay for...)

Old 10-28-2012, 10:51 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
As much as I detest stealerships........they will know your car better then anyone else, and have probably seen many a Echo with the same issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive