Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 08:22 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,249,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I'd have to make a pitch for the 2013 F-150 Platinum.

My 2010 Platinum has been a great truck and I don't even have the redesigned console or the new engine offerings. I trade off my primary vehicle every three years so I'm starting to look at replacement options which the 2013 (possibly 2014) F-150 is definitely near the top. Either that or a 2013/2014 Yukon Denali; nothing else really interests me for a daily driver right now.

Are you thinking the 3.5L Ecoboost or the 5.0L V8? The only issue I don't care for on the Platinum is the retractable running boards; more of a pain than a luxury in my opinion. I'd rather have stationary running boards on the Lariat but it's a minor complaint, the rest of the truck is great!
Yeah I heard the 2014 MAY be redesigned, but I dont see it since they just freshened the 2013 model, so I say it will be around until 2015 at least. Its still a modern design and a good one. I am not sure, I wanted ecoboost, but lately I read random reports of trouble with it, so I would have to research more, but I heard the 5.0L is a good choice. I would easily choose a Lariat, but I like the Platinum in many other ways, especially that it has the standard multi-color ambient interior light feature. Sounds silly, but I rented a Ford SUV once that had it and really thought it was cool. You can get it on the others I think, but only as a dealer installed option (which I would be afraid our dealers would mess it up), but on the Platinum, its factory installed.

I would think I would like the power running boards, but maybe not after I actually had them. lol.

I honestly cant afford one now, but when (and IF) my dad gets his retirement he is supposed to be getting and still waiting on, he said he wants to buy me a new vehicle and I think I want a F150, but may go with the Lariat since its still super nice and quite a bit cheaper... then somedays I think I would settle for a new 2013 Nissan Sentra SL with all of the bells and whistles for $24K. lol. We will see I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 08:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,885,040 times
if i had $1 million in the bank, and was taking down $100k per year, and saving $30k of that $100k, i would restore both my falcon and my mustang to my specs. if i were to buy a new(er) car to replace my taurus, i would probably go with a 2005-2009 mustang.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:47 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,846,249 times
A 1969 Mustang, Boss 429 would be great, will settle for a 428 CJ. Or maybe a 1969 Shelby GT500 convertible; hard to decide.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:23 PM

24,514 posts, read 33,345,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
A 1969 Mustang, Boss 429 would be great, will settle for a 428 CJ. Or maybe a 1969 Shelby GT500 convertible; hard to decide.
One of those would be a good choice.

I would pick a 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T 440 Magnum to drive around in...

And this 1969 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limousine to be chauffeured around in...

Old 11-24-2012, 10:40 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,619,122 times
I like the latest generation or two from Jaguar. I'd probably go in that direction.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:07 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,557,330 times
Assuming I already have a home worthy of such an income, realistically I'd probably get a Volvo S60. It's quick, stylish, and safe. For fun, I'd probably get a 1965, 66, or 67 Mustang notch back. Take it to a custom shop for some hidden modern mods including suspension and disc brakes. I'd see if they can drop in the current Mustang's V6 and control system. Might have to change the rear axle to handle the power and larger rims/tires. The base rim size was 14 and I believe they originally went up to 15. Would probably have to try on different shoes to see which fits best. Maybe 17 or 18 with modest low profile (not the metal rim with a stretched rubber band low profile). Of course the transmission would also have to be changed to match to this much more powerful engine. Would have to stick with auto for the wife who physically can't operate bothe pedals at the same time. Would like to see if they could keep the solid rear axle and update the rear suspension by throwing away the leaf springs. Once the mechanical updates are done, then it's time for paint and body. I'd keep the body original looking with all new chrome trim and see about hear and sound insulation. Replace all rubber pieces (hoses, grommets, bushings, etc). After the exterior comes the interior. Also want it looking original with a few exceptions. First, I'd replace the front seats with modern high back bucket seats reupholstered to resemble the pattern of the original factory and in leather instead of vinyl. Since the rear seats would probably rarely ever get used as a seat, I'd get them reupolstered in leather keeping the original look and match the style of the front seats. Replace the dash stereo with a modern retro stereo that resembles factory original but with modern power and sound quality. Wouldn't go all "Pimp My Ride" with speakers or monitors. Would install a rear camera with hidden screen in the rear view mirror, two 2 way 6x9 speakers in the back, and see what space is available in the front without taking too much away from the factory look. If there's only a space for a center dashboard speaker, I'd probably drop another 2way speaker there and mount either pillar mounted tweeters or cut into the door panels for door speakers (don't have to be big). Trunk would contain a small amp, reconditioned factory jack, and (if it still fits) an original rim reconditioned with factory size modern radial tire as a spare. I want the after market larger rims to resemble the factory original rims. To handle the new engine and control system, would also replace the gas tank, fuel pump, and fuel lines. For safety, I'd look into replacing the lap belts with a three point setup. Lap belts only could make my wife's condition much much worse. Would also look into upgrading the headlights and tail lights for increased visibility. They probably have kits to keep the original round headlight look but with modern bulbs inside. As for the rear, brighter replacement LED bulbs. I've been behind a classic Mustang and those tail lights are dim on bright city streets. Might get fancy and have an LED bulb for each of the rear light slats. Might copy the modern Mustang's turn signal setup.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:44 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,406,766 times
I'd buy a 2012 BMW 750li for about $105K. The rest would go to maintenance after the warranty ran out.

Seriously, I'd get another Lexus GS, LS, or RX.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times
There is always a Ford GT or Gt-40,

I have a friend with one, and tho only $250k to get into the limited edition reproduction, I'm sure he has spent over 2x that in enhancements. Add a few yrs insurance and operating costs and that would take care of the $1m, but I trust it would be a good time while it lasted. He seems to have a pretty good time, but doesn't sleep that well while having the bell-hop stand guard over the car at night. Just one of those little inconveniences that comes with the territory.

Ford GT - Top Speed

Old 11-25-2012, 01:32 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,676,800 times
Probably a ford super duty, with all the options...

Old 11-25-2012, 01:40 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,980,018 times
Nothing over 50k. Unless you have a classic car and able able to handle your own repairs, automobiles are bad bad investments. Anyone using the term "liquid capital" knows investment terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive