Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 06:14 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,182 times

Advertisements

Gasoline drying up always was why my lawnmower failed to start. What I have been doing doing for years is keeping as full a tank as possible since I was told that it won't sludge up as much which allegedly is caused by the water vapor in the air in the less than full tank. Seems to work. Also I get my fuel injectors cleaned too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
So he says the other day it was driving fine went to start it the next morning and nothing. It cranks over fine it just doesn't start. He said he got some starter fluid in there and it ran for a moment and promptly died.
This tells me it's a fuel problem. Assuming your truck is indeed fuel injected, check the following:

1. Fuse at fuse box for the electric fuel pump (self explanatory)
2. Fuse at fuse box for the ECM as this tells the pump when to kick on and also tells the injectors when to fire.

3. If both check good, have a buddy crank the engine while you visually look at the fuel injectors in the throttle body. Yes you should see gasoline spitting from the injectors. (probably won't though if ether is the only thing keeping the engine running)

4. Let the truck sit for 20 minutes. Turn the ignition key to "run" but don't start the truck. Listen for the in tank electric fuel pump. It should make a buzzing sound and then stop. This is normal. What it's doing is "priming" the fuel system.

If no buzzing, look under the hood for a relay for the fuel pump. You'll need a Chiltons book for this. The relay is either on the firewall or on the inside fender. Some of these even have a grey wire with a black female plug that you can jump to the battery charging stud on the back of the alternator to see if the pump kicks on. Don't do this until you know for sure what you're doing. Both my 91 S-10 and 87 Regal have this feature. But the relay should click on when you first turn on the ignition, to tell the fuel pump to begin priming.

5. If all of these fail, then let the truck sit an hour and don't try to start it and don't try to turn the key on anymore. You're going to have to find the incoming main fuel line (usually a 3/8 steel line), and slowly undo the flare nut holding it to the throttle body, with a towel over it and make sure you wear a face shield AND splash proof eye goggles, in case all of the fuel pressure doesn't relieve before hand. Trust me you'll be thankful when 40 psi of fuel doesn't spray in your eyes. (yes that's how much psi a TBI unit can operate at)

Now with the line off, get a gas can ready, slip a piece of 1/2 hose on the unhooked steel fuel line, and run the other end of the hose into the gas can. Have your buddy turn on the key (don't start)...with the trucks ignition on (dummy lights lit up and all) if nothing goes into the gas can, it's a safe bet either your fuel pump is dead or the relay isn't kicking on (due to ECM problems or other electrical problems).

If the pump is indeed bad, to replace you can either drop the tank or remove the bed using an engine hoist.

Let us know what you find.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:53 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,754,204 times
i was talking to him yesterday and he said that he had it hooked up with jumper cables to his wife's car it started and ran then disconnected it and then slowly died

Old 01-09-2013, 06:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
'

Your friend has a fuel-delivery problem. Start with what is easiest.
Make sure the gas tank has gas in it..

Old 01-09-2013, 08:16 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
i was talking to him yesterday and he said that he had it hooked up with jumper cables to his wife's car it started and ran then disconnected it and then slowly died
1. Check battery.
2. Check alternator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive