Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 06:59 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times

Advertisements

Ah ... trans brake. Gotcha. Aye, my mechanic friend works in the same shop his brother owns. A performance transmission shop. They also do most any kind of custom work. Name is Tommy Boys transmissions (Thomasville, Ga.)

Camshaft... is a 514... and something .. can't remember. I got the sheet outside in my glove compartment I think.

I got a Cheetah turbo shifter. It's got like 5 gazzillion buttons. Trans brake, huh? My car has a stock convertor.

Tommy Boys Performance Trans - Thomasville, GA (Georgia) | (229) 227-0371

Need to post some pics. Those men do damn fine work. My friend cut my bench seat and added that Cheetah and it looks bone cold stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Hey, if you say your old Ford handles badly at speed, what kind of condition is the suspension in? Some better shocks, replace whatever bushings need replacing - it will never handle as sharp as a "real" sports car, but it should not remind you of a wheelbarrow full of wet cement either.

You could go to urethane bushings, but that may be too much for continued street use.

Daily driver. It's why I didn't go to a bigger cam. Didn't want to wear out the valve train too fast.
Hrm. My shocks on the front are probably ~ over 10 years old. Older than the air shocks, even. I think I put those on around 2003 (the air shocks.).

Last edited by 70Ford; 01-11-2013 at 07:25 PM..

Old 01-11-2013, 09:12 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Trans Brake is the same as a Line lock. AOD behind a 351C? Impressive. I thought you were C4 or C6 as your car has old school look. Do you have a limited slip differential? What camshaft are you using?

Hot Rodding is so expensive it is ridiculous.
A trans brake is not the same as line loc.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I'm so old I have no idea what a linelock is. Har! Gonna look it up. We figured it out with the gear ratio on the AOD and the gear in the rear (Tru-trac) I start with 4:11 from the start. That's about all I can remember. It's got leaf springs on the back and air shocks pumped to max. It seemed when I added air shocks I got a lot more "handling" from the car.

It's got a 351 Cleveland with Edelbrock heads and Edelbrock air gap intake and a stage two Jet performance blueprinted carb. MSD 6 box, some kind of super duper coil, racing plugs (the ones recommended by Edelbrock for running with their heads), Moroso spark plug wires, Hooker headers, Flowmaster racing mufflers.

Wow. Good god. Just looked up the Stage 2 carb and it's $733 bucks.
JET Performance Products, Import & Domestic Performance, Performance Kits, Fuel Systems, Transmissions

I think I bought mine for ~250 bucks and they charged me ~250 bucks when they went through it. Then again, that was like 5 - 6 years ago.
Carb is a Holley 750 with vaacuum secondaries.

My AOD has the "Wide ratio" gears.
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/ford-racing-aod-upgrade.574717/
Try letting some air out of those air shocks. See if it helps you with traction. You need some weight transfer. In fact, you may want to dump the air shocks all together and get a set of caltracs. I think you'll be surprised.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:05 AM

430 posts, read 1,192,675 times
What engine do you have?

Old 01-12-2013, 07:14 AM

I looked at your video again and stand corrected. It don't appear that you have the back of the car all jacked up. When you launch it appears that the front end does come up, which helps with weight transfer to the rear. Maybe your issue may be as simple as a pair of drag radials for grip and maybe a little experimenting with air pressure in your shocks and tires.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:21 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
I have a classic muscle car as well. One thing to note is that while you are at the track, you have no insurance coverage at all, so be safe.

I haven't had mine on the track yet....

Rally nice looking Nova. If you have not been to Chevytalk.com, you should check it out. Lots of Chevy fanatics there...

Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 AM

799 posts, read 2,441,902 times
Quote:
V6 Mustang will not beat a 13.5 1/4 miles ET.

2013 Ford Mustang V-6 Premium First Test - Motor Trend
I really don't want to derail this thread, but c'mon. MT has been long known to be soft on their test cars.

And .5 on the strip isnt that much, especially when you are talking 13's.

Again, Im big on "older cars". Ive got a Fox Body TBird myself. But get real.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:40 PM

13.6.. bah...

13 6 - YouTube

Gotta find a better converter....for that Sony Hd to youtube video....

Car never hopped on that stuff they sprayed on the track. VHT? I forget tthe name.. it's sticky, though.

Last edited by 70Ford; 01-20-2013 at 12:57 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 01:19 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Quote:
Trans Brake is the same as a Line lock. AOD behind a 351C? Impressive. I thought you were C4 or C6 as your car has old school look. Do you have a limited slip differential? What camshaft are you using?

Hot Rodding is so expensive it is ridiculous.
Nope. Trans brake and a line lock are not the same. Line locks lock the front brakes to allow easy burnouts and trans brakes hydraulically lock a trans until you release the button for a high rpm launch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive