Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times

Advertisements

My car was bought in November of 2000. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 08:08 PM

27 posts, read 125,075 times
Not really enough info here to answer this question correctly.
Let's say that the engines power seems to be down, it may be that the cat has collapsed internally.
There is the strong odor of rotten eggs, a cat failure can cause that.
There is a loud shaking or vibration noise coming from the exhaust system, that could be a bad cat.
The check engine light was on and you checked every sensor and they looked OK, that could be a bad cat.
While running the car a night, you looked under the car at the cat and it was glowing red, that could be a bad cat.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:09 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Texas says yes, you do if it came with one. Sorry, them suckers can be expensive.

Tampering of Vehicle Emission Controls

Old 01-20-2013, 08:47 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
I see. I've had the engine light on for awhile, but no smell, yet.

What to you think about this: Magnaflow Muffler Stainless Steel 14X3.5X7 1.75/1.75 O_11133

And I guess going to the Magnaflow would constitute "tampering." Ah well...

Old 01-20-2013, 09:15 PM

Oh ! So the check engine light is on,,
Well that explains everything, !
Yes, when the check engine light is on it means that the cat is definitely bad.
How in the heck did I come to that hypothesis?
I must be whacked!
MIL,Scan tool, Flow chart, component checks.
Maybe I should buy stock in auto zone.
I could post a link here and give out erroneous info.
Secret broker, make a killing$$.
Oops,,,, I agreed to site rules.
I told you so, Max, said agent 99.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:56 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,277,702 times
MORE INFO......please.

why do you think you need a new cat?
what happened to the current one?
do you know the check engine light codes?
what kind of car is it?

Old 01-20-2013, 10:11 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyhemet View Post
Oh ! So the check engine light is on,,
Well that explains everything, !
Yes, when the check engine light is on it means that the cat is definitely bad.
How in the heck did I come to that hypothesis?
I must be whacked!
MIL,Scan tool, Flow chart, component checks.
Maybe I should buy stock in auto zone.
I could post a link here and give out erroneous info.
Secret broker, make a killing$$.
Oops,,,, I agreed to site rules.
I told you so, Max, said agent 99.

Disregarding the crazy talk, the CEL doesn't always mean you have a bad cat. It can be for a variety of things. OP needs to run a scan to find out what the code was and go from there before wasting money buying a new cat, perhaps unnecessarily.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:46 AM

774 posts, read 2,602,212 times
Brian - A check engine light can be a number of things but in my experiance it's typically an O2 sensor before or after the converter but you will not know until you get it scanned. Find an auto parts store and have then scan the code for you.

Once they tell you what the problem is, get the part number they will want to sell you and order the part online. I like Rock Auto for good prices but you might find cheaper if you look around. Converters can be expensives but the universal replacemants are just as effective and can typically be had for under $200.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:08 AM

Sorry, my message was not meant to be " crazy".
My message was meant to be a WAKE UP call.
Let's talk a little history.
Years ago before the Check Engine Light, cars had warning lights, these lights were sometimes called Idiot Lights.
It was said that if the Idiot Light went on, then the operator of the vehicle needed to STOP now, further operation of the vehicle could result in catastrophic breakdown.
Today we have the MIL ( Message Indicator Lamp) and a cars engine, transmission, electrical system are controlled by one or several computers.
These computers receive information from various sensors, then they make decisions and then the send out commands to different components.
These computers have a self diagnostic feature, in other words, when a computer determines that a fault exists in a sensor, or an operating component it sends a command to to the MIL circuit and that causes a light to be illuminated on the vehicle dashboard.
Let's go back to Idiot Lights and catastrophic breakdown.
When the idiot light came on and the driver continued to operate the vehicle, many times this resulted in serious engine damage that could be very expensive to fix.
Today's computers use something called a Limp Mode, this limp mode allows the vehicle to be a short distance to a location where the service technician can scan the the vehicle with a diagnostic tool and determine exactly where the problem is.
Notice how I said a " short distance " . In today's cars we have smart computers, they have the ability to modify the operating commands that are sent to components.
Of course there is a drawback to this, the computer will continue to modify the commands until it has run out of options and then it may send out a command that will shutoff the engine.
Options are like this: 1+2=3, 2+1=3, 2+2-1=3, ( The computer is a logic system)
Many people assume that when the Check Engine Light is illuminated, the Catalytic converter is faulty.
Only by using a scan tool can the real source of the problem be determined.
Anything else is just a guess.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:26 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,028 times
Ultimately the best way to take of any vehicle is to make sure to idle for 3-5min during cold starts..

Change oil regularly

Check water and other fluid regularly.

And try not to floor it from a dead start, but built speed gradually..

If you follow them simple procedures your car will live a long and healthy life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive