Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 04:39 AM

5,664 posts, read 5,097,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
You need parking sensors lol.
Yep, the radar thingies front and rear. Wife's car has 'em and I got used to it. My SUV I parked via the braille method at times. My new car has more gadgets than I've yet figured out. Darn thing is able to parallel park itself, although I haven't tried that one yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 06:45 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,453,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Wow... they're already changing TX plates? Seems like the gaudy blue ones weren't issued for long. I thought they had a screwy configuration that I'm sure law enforcement didn't like. I thought people voted on them and chose them as a favorite?

I live in Colorado and love our base plates... and like having the front plate as well. I know you can be ticketed for not displaying your front plate. Front plates make a lot of sense for law enforcement reasons. That's why pretty much anywhere you go in the world, cars have a front plate. CO plates really don't clash with any car color, IMO.

I'm just glad I don't live in a state with gaudy license plates. I prefer simple, easy to read plates. I doube if Colorado will ever change from the current design since it's become iconic and people like them. CO has had pretty much the same design since the 1960s, other than reversing colors.
Yep, I think the gaudy ones were only issued out for 2 or 3 years. I personally never liked them, even when they were voting for best design, but I guess people thought they looked much better in a picture than in real life, lol.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,042,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Rear-plate-only states are Michigan, Kansas, Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida and Delaware.
Nevada has an interesting law: front plates are required except that if you drive a luxury or expensive sports car you don't have to put it on. Well, that's not exactly what it says, lol, but the result is about the same. The statute actually says that a front plate is optional if the vehicle was not designed for a front plate or if the manufacturer did not provide an add-on bracket or other means of displaying the front plate.

Nevada License Plates

NRS: CHAPTER 482 - MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAILERS: LICENSING, REGISTRATION, SALES AND LEASES

Old 01-31-2013, 08:43 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,677,165 times
Amazing.

Until I read this thread I would never have imagined that there was even one person who cared whether their license plate matched the color of their car, let alone a whole passel of them.

There may be something more trivial to worry about, but at the moment I'm having a hard time thinking of what it might be.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:55 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,380,735 times
I like what California is doing. You can now order retro plates for your ride. And yes we have to have a front and rear plate.

Classic Car Owners Get A Chance At Vintage California Plates

Here is a list of plates you can get in California:

License Plates

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 02-01-2013 at 01:33 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 09:02 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,042,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
I'm considering it. Just mounted my plates on my new car... had to drill the bumper. Ugh....

Drilling the bumper on a brand new car was one of the hardest things I've had to do to a car. No way around it except for the plates holders that mount from underneath, but that looks a little stupid. Sigh.

As I noted above, Nevada's law specifically addresses this issue. Although NV requires front & rear plates on most vehicles, yours would have been exempted.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:43 AM

471 posts, read 978,520 times
I love being in New Mexico where we only need a rear plate. I also love the fact the same plates are used no matter if you drive a passenger car or truck, and that there are a couple of nice design choices to pick from when you get plates. You can keep your plate for as many years as you have the vehicle, just getting a new sticker every year. I believe that if the cops are out trolling to fill their month end quota, let them work a little harder for our money by having to drive around the back of our vehicles to see the plate number.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:47 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,182,572 times
omg, omg the license plate does not mach my car or my attire,
What to do...

ps Does your car match your home?

Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,259,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I like what California is doing. You can not order retro plates for your ride. And yes we have to have a front and rear plate.

Classic Car Owners Get A Chance At Vintage California Plates

Here is a list of plates you can get in California:

License Plates
Interesting. I wonder what configuration they'll use? If you're going classic, I'd think you would want the orignial "ABC 123" configuration.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,259,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy2788 View Post
Yep, I think the gaudy ones were only issued out for 2 or 3 years. I personally never liked them, even when they were voting for best design, but I guess people thought they looked much better in a picture than in real life, lol.
I lived in San Antonio in 1990 and really liked the plates I got then.. white, blue letters/numbers and the TX flag at the top, off-centered. I haven't cared for any plates they've had since then. I especially hate the flat plates trend. They tend to look plastic or "fake", although MN and AZ use dencent fonts on their flat plates that look ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive